PDA

View Full Version : Need 64 bit driver for Dongle

AbnRanger
09-09-2005, 05:31 PM
I am running Win XP Pro 64, and was excited to receive the LW/Vue 5 bundle today...only to find out the HARD WAY that the usb dongle isn't supported in 64 bit (error code 103)! Golly gee...it's so helpful to find that out after the fact.

videoguy
09-09-2005, 05:48 PM
You are Mistaken the Current Shipping Version of lightwave is NOT 64bit, The 64bit version is still in beta, It is possible that you could be included in the beta.
As windows x64 says it self it will work with 32 bit software excluding Drivers. It requires a 64 bit driver and Newtek has not released one publicly for the dongle. I recomend setting up a dual boot on your system with win 32 on one partition and win 64 on another partition.

connerh
09-09-2005, 05:50 PM
First off, there is a 64bit version of LW, it just hasn't been released yet. The problems with no 64bit drivers has been addressed time and time again, perhaps using the search function before laying down a trail of flames first would have helped. Or, perhaps you could have just come in and said "Hey... there's a problem with my dongle drivers, anyone feel like helping me out here?" and I would have given you either a direct link to some of the threads where this issue has already been discussed. However, you went directly into flames, so... I'm not that nice.

VideoGuy got in just before me

Scott_Blinn
09-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Have you contacted NewTek about this? Maybe they can hook you up with a 64bit beta driver for the dongle (if they have one)...

They don't call it "the bleeding edge" for nuthin' :goodluck:

AbnRanger
09-09-2005, 06:36 PM
You are Mistaken the Current Shipping Version of lightwave is NOT 64bit
I didn't say I received the 64 bit version...I can CLEARLY tell on the packaging that it states 8.3.

However, if they claim, as they did at Siggraph that they have a WORKING 64 bit version of LW , why is it too difficult for them to produce a simple driver that supports 64 bit Windows....which has been COMMERICAL (not Beta) since April. That's Leading edge technology for you....leading the way to the back of the pack.

Win XP 64 bit driver support may not be that robust, but I already have everything else running in 64 bit....printer ...scanner...graphics tablet...video card,etc.

AbnRanger
09-09-2005, 06:56 PM
First off, there is a 64bit version of LW, it just hasn't been released yet. The problems with no 64bit drivers has been addressed time and time again, perhaps using the search function before laying down a trail of flames first would have helped. Or, perhaps you could have just come in and said "Hey... there's a problem with my dongle drivers, anyone feel like helping me out here?" and I would have given you either a direct link to some of the threads where this issue has already been discussed. However, you went directly into flames, so... I'm not that nice.

I searched and searched (google and here on this forum)...just to find out what? That I anxiously waited for nothing?...should I be calm? Like I said, letting folks know UPFRONT so they don't get stuck with nothing but a few discs, would've been the right thing to do. There shoud be some sort of visible disclaimer on the ordering page AT LEAST...so folks like me and others who are using Win XP 64, know that they don't support that OS yet.
Darned right I'm mad. I'm sitting here staring at a set of $800 discs that can't do squat...til somebody decides it's time to support XP 64

radams
09-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Hi All,

First off lets stop the flaming on both sides.

This goes out to any and all who are looking to get into 64 bit solutions.
In regards to x64 OS, Many 32 bit apps will function but you will need a 64 bit hardware driver to get things like the USB software keys to work..as well as other video cards, etc...

ANYONE getting into 64 bit now, MUST throughly checkout what is and is NOT supported...it is your obligation...many other companies are making claims but have yet to ship full working 64 bit versions...

Yes, NewTek does have a BETA of LW working in 64bit and has a fairly open beta program for those interested. So you would first need to purchase a 32 bit version to be considered for the Beta...since AbnRanger, you have done that, I would contact NewTek directly in regards to this. NT did not state that you purchase LW and get both 32 and 64 bit apps...in fact they could easily sell them seperately when LW64 ships...thou I hope they will not.

There should NOT be the need to flame NT or anyone else in this regards.

I hope that AbnRanger that you can get onto the LW BETA program but I would suggest leaving the harshness behind you.

To the general Forum, Come on guys you're better than this. Lets show the more helpful spirit rather than the flame :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Kurtis
09-09-2005, 07:35 PM
AbnRanger,

connerh is referring to the fact that we have stated a number of times, both publicly and privately, that we cannot provide a driver for the LightWave dongle at this time. SafeNet, the dongle manufacturer, has not yet officially released a 64-bit driver. When they do, we will work with them to make the driver available to our customers as soon as possible.

As to your claim that we don't say anywhere that we don't support Win XP X64, if you visit the LightWave Systems Requirements page (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/requirements.php), we list all the operating systems that LightWave 3D currently supports. The system requirements are also listed on the side of the box, including currently supported operating systems. Win XP X64 has not yet been listed in either location, because it is not yet officially supported.

Our employees are aware of the limitation caused by the current lack of a dongle driver, and should have been able to inform you of this. If they informed you incorrectly, please contact us directly and let us know who it was, so we can correct the problem.

Thank you.

AbnRanger
09-09-2005, 10:25 PM
As to your claim that we don't say anywhere that we don't support Win XP X64, if you visit the LightWave Systems Requirements page (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/requirements.php), we list all the operating systems that LightWave 3D currently supports. The system requirements are also listed on the side of the box, including currently supported operating systems. Win XP X64 has not yet been listed in either location, because it is not yet officially supported.
That sounds like a very rational answer... except when you factor in:

1) All the competing 3D apps ALSO list the same thing...it's just that they happen to actually ..well...WORK in Win XP 64

2) Many users have had 64 bit hardware for a good while, and have been ready to get this thing started. Lightwave has been out front saying that they are about to release a 64 bit version...and for some time now, huh? So, knowing that Newtek is promoting itself as being a LEADER in the market with new 64 bit technolgy....the last thing you would expect is that they can't even get an itty bitty dongle ready for the 64 bit world .

It's like the classic characature of the Muscle Man, all swollen from the waste up...but thin as a stick from the waist down.

Chuck
09-09-2005, 11:37 PM
I didn't say I received the 64 bit version...I can CLEARLY tell on the packaging that it states 8.3.

However, if they claim, as they did at Siggraph that they have a WORKING 64 bit version of LW , why is it too difficult for them to produce a simple driver that supports 64 bit Windows....which has been COMMERICAL (not Beta) since April. That's Leading edge technology for you....leading the way to the back of the pack.

Win XP 64 bit driver support may not be that robust, but I already have everything else running in 64 bit....printer ...scanner...graphics tablet...video card,etc.

Apologies for your frustrations, but NewTek does not produce the dongle drivers - SafeNet, the dongle manufacturer does, and has not publicly released a 64-bit driver at this time either directly or by allowing vendors of dongle-protected products to provide it to users.

Chuck
09-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Using the forum search function, I located the thread referred to by connerh; took about two minutes.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=37712

It provides a link to a CGTalk post which provides a link to a beta driver.

Fausto
09-10-2005, 12:16 AM
It provides a link to a CGTalk post which provides a link to a beta driver.

There you go AbnRanger, now all you have to do is eat some crow and hope to get on the beta team. By the way, if you're looking for other drivers, here's a great resource

Driver resource (http://www.planetamd64.com/)

AbnRanger
09-10-2005, 12:45 AM
I'll be back in a right state of mind after a night's sleep, but ...man, I was all pumped up about jumping into Lightwave for the first time (coming over from Max), wanting to check out modeler and all...then anticipation turned to frustration.

Eat crow?.. for what? For having to rumage around, like a bum on the hunt for a ham samiche' ....all for a missing dongle driver?
Newtek has been the one beating it's chest about how innovative it is, boasting that they're the first to develop a 64 bit App...yet the reality is that it's the ONLY 3D application that doesn't work in 64 bit XP. In light of that, who really should be eating crow? I wasn't asking for the moon...just a little tiny USB driver.....that works.

I searched a couple of hours in Google, MSN search, here on the forums....and didn't see anything but a few posts from others frustrated about the same thing.
Now let's close this thread. The rant is over.

Moderator's note: If you had started by politely and reasonably asking for help, I'm sure someone would have posted the link right away, as other respondents in this thread have pointed out. This is an issue where end users are at liberty to share information and resources between themselves, but as a customer of SafeNet we have to respect certain obligations, and one of those is that we can only distribute the driver versions they permit us to distribute. You seem to be willfully refusing to understand this point, and your response to being provided the information was to heap further abuse on the party providing the information.

Please note that the NewTek forums are for civil discussions of NewTek products by product users - if you continue the kinds of behavior you have exhibited here, your account will be closed and you'll be banned from the forums.

Kurtis
09-10-2005, 08:33 AM
As both Chuck and I have posted, the dongle driver is produced by another company, the company that produces the dongle. As soon as they release the 64-bit driver for public use, we will make it available to our customers.

But, as you wish. Thread closed.