PDA

View Full Version : Streaming to more than 1 PC

Chris L
09-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Can someone tell me what steps I need to take in order to webcast??? I can see it on one computer at a time but that's not going to cut it.

Chris

John Perkins
09-12-2005, 09:53 AM
For real webcasting you will need a server running a Windows Media Streaming Server. You give that server the mms:\\ address from the Tricaster and it will act like a distribution amp and also a permanent web address for the users to go to.

This way you only need upstream bandwidth for one stream on location. The server will multiply that and use whatever upstream bandwidth your webhosting service provides.

Hope this helps.

Chris L
09-19-2005, 07:32 AM
When you say 'server', do you mean another PC dedicated for just streaming the video? This is not really an app that I need but just in case it ever comes up I would like to know how...

Chris

Paul Lara
09-19-2005, 07:44 AM
Yes, it would be a dedicated box running Windows Media Server software.

achuakh
09-21-2005, 08:31 AM
yup, that's the way it will be. cos you can't really connect more than 5 to 10 clients directly to the tricaster even on a 100Mbps link.

i'm using a windows 2003 server with media services turned on to pull from the tricaster to multicast to the users. do take extra care to find out abt the multicast and routers to firewall settings before attempting this. i spent 2 mths trying to get it right as i don't 'own' the network and i needed to tell them what i needed.