PDA

View Full Version : audio problems

stevewoodzell
09-08-2005, 07:28 PM
hey guys, i am having some difficulties using an audio file for lip sync, im wondering if they are glitches in my system or if its just the way things are.. first of all, the wave display behind the timeline is in huge blocks and essentially useless, is it meant to be at a higher resolution?

the other issue, even more problematic: when i preview the animation, the audio plays from the beginning of the file regardless of where in the timeline the preview is. the "audio start time" setting has no effect, which would lead me to believe there is something wrong at my end, unless i have missed some integral audio control panel in the depths of Layout

thanks
-steve

Surrealist.
09-08-2005, 11:10 PM
When you adjust the start time, does it move along the timeline? I tested it and on my windows system that's what it does and I was able to create a preview animation with the offset. So if it is not moving that might just be a clue.

As far as seeing the audio, the timeline is usless and I am sure it is not intended to be a visual.

For a visual you can load up the audio chanel modifier applied to a null in the graph editor. This will allow a start frame and you can use it in the BG to line up keyframes. You can size down the graph editor and keep it below or above and you can zoom the graph as needed.

To the offest problem, you might try and start your animation in negative frames. You can slide the whole thing over using the dope sheet or graph editor. When you are done, just slide the whole thing back over. I assume you will be doing the final syncing in another app. Right? Or does LW save the audio to an anim file? Never thought of that. Anyway, another thing to try is to load the file up into an audio editing app and add silence/time to the start.

stevewoodzell
09-09-2005, 09:21 AM
yeah that might have to be the workaround, editing the file into pieces and doing it chunk by chunk. thanks for the audio channel idea though, that could make things a bit easier for animation.

Surrealist.
09-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Oh I see what you mean. Yeah you have a long audio file and are animating in segments and being done with the first words/prase whatever you don't want to have to preview them every time you are working ont eh next phrase.

OK I trtied that and it does not work to set a different start frame. I get it now. What did work was to shove the audio over at a different start frame but when I preview the animation from the different start frame it plays the audio from the start.

I thought you needed space in the start.

So I am guessing you tried to set the start time of the audio to negative numers.

I tried setting the audio to -200 and the start time of the animation to 200 and it worked. Is that what You mean? You tired that?

stevewoodzell
09-09-2005, 01:19 PM
i actually did not try a negative start time.. i changed it to like 50 or something just to see what would happen to the preview, and it appeared to do nothing so i wimped out. i'll try pushing it back though, and see what happens. if that fails, i tried animating a couple lines with chopped-up audio files and it is a serviceable method, if a little cumbersome.

thanks for your input man!
-steve