PDA

View Full Version : VT DVD player

DefcomDMC
09-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Does anyone else think it would be beneficial to have a DVD module built into VT?

I see the benefits...
1.One less piece of equipment to carry
2.Already have a DVD Rom built in the computer
3.Use it as a video source, capture from it, set in/out points???

Jim_C
09-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Yes, would be very,very beneficial, but I bet there is thick copyright issues involved.

Rtvgem
09-09-2005, 05:19 AM
Since when is playing DVD braking law, maybe i will play personal archive on DVD, if we going that logic power dvd and other applicatin should be deny.

Jim_C
09-09-2005, 05:42 AM
Ummmm....Well, power DVD doesn't have the ability to record straight to hard drive.

Every application out there that rips DVD is under fire from the MPAA etc...
Or is at least in their sights or on a hit list.

You can claim 'personal use' all you want, but they don't believe you.

I didn't make the statement to start a debate. I was just saying I am sure 'ripping DVDs' is a muddy mess Newtek probably doesn't want to wade in.

I doubt they want their name mentioned in articles like this...
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119549,00.asp

mgrusin
09-11-2005, 03:06 PM
I'd love to have a DVD player in VT, preferably available as a switcher source. :D One step closer to the TV Station In A (Single) Box.

Not a VT module, but "media player classic" is free and plays DVDs and lots of other formats (including Real without the mess if you get the "Real Alternative" version). A little fiddly at times but generally works very well.

It depresses me that thanks to DRM we are moving backwards rather than forwards. Ten years ago I could freely (if slowly ;) ) move video between all sorts of applications. Now? The next version of Windows will likely require an encrypted connection between the computer and the monitor if you want to watch certain content. Bleh.

-MG.

ScorpioProd
09-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Guess what!

Sony has just added this EXACT feature in the just released Vegas 6c!

If Sony can do it, Newtek can.

There's no copy protection issues, it simply only works with DVDs that don't have copy protection, which is what we need anyway.

http://www.digitalproducer.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=34715

tfrank
09-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Would love it! One less outboard box! How do you keep up with the plethora of "new" DVD formats though?