PDA

View Full Version : Contacting Customer Service

Blaine91555
09-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Hi all,
I recently purchase LightWave. I asked customer service a simple question more than 2 weeks ago and have not received an answer. Is this the type of behavior I can expect from NewTek's support? :thumbsdow

Stormrazor
09-08-2005, 11:09 AM
No Newtek Customer Support is one of the best I have seen. Now I am not sure on your situation but I call, get answers and joke with them to. Give it a try. They are wonderful people.

Blaine91555
09-08-2005, 11:15 AM
I'll try a phone call. I would have thought they would prefer the other method though. I'd have been happy with a reply within a couple of days. I guess it would be hard to ignore a phone call. I'd heard their support was good. Guess I slipped through the cracks? No offense was intended.

mattclary
09-08-2005, 11:16 AM
So, just out of curiosity, what was the question?

Blaine91555
09-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Just a question about the lisence and the dongle. The dongle is a new concept to me. I wanted to know if "on one computer at a time" means that I can install on both my home and work computer and that the dongle controls the single user issue.

hrgiger
09-08-2005, 11:23 AM
You can install it on a million machines as far as I'm aware. But since you only have one dongle, you can only use it on one at a time. You will just have to transport your dongle from work to home.

Blaine91555
09-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Sorry for the delay. Had to go to work so I can sit and do nothing all day :D
At least thats what my employees think I do. Thanks for the answer. Thats what I thought but I wanted to know for sure before installing on another computer. I like this dongle concept. Makes way more sense than other methods. I'm sick of calling Adobe to reactivate all the time. Thanks again for the help. I'll call NewTek from now on instead of using the e-mail service. I should have done that in the first place.

Chuck
09-08-2005, 01:55 PM
CS tries to reply no later than next business day to all emails. If you did not receive a response, it could be that your message got caught in our spam filters, or our reply got caught in your spam filters if you or your ISP has such. In such instances it may be the case that if you retry the email it will get through, or you can call.

mattclary
09-09-2005, 06:52 AM
Or better yet, just post your question here on the board. You shouldn't bug Newtek unless you absolutely have to. Time is money. The more money they have to spend answering innocuous questions is less money they get to spend paying some guy to code LightWave.

Most people here could have answerd that for you and been happy to do it. ;) Notice it took 4 minutes to get your answer once you posted here? ;)

p.s. Your question was very valid, just saying it's a simple answer available from most long term LW users.

Karmacop
09-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Matt is right, and on a whole the users at the Newtek forums are nice and informative, but at the same time I'd much prefer to get an answer from tech support instead of some goon on the forums ;)

adrian
09-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Matt is right, and on a whole the users at the Newtek forums are nice and informative, but at the same time I'd much prefer to get an answer from tech support instead of some goon on the forums ;)

not that there are many 'goons' (or gooners I hope) on the forum though, thankfully :)

Adrian.

mattclary
09-09-2005, 10:30 AM
I'd much prefer to get an answer from tech support instead of some goon on the forums

Can't argue with your logic. I worked in tech support for 6 years (now in QA), and I have to say that I am a little underwhelmed by Netwek support/cs. Our company allows customers to create support cases via the web. They get a case number directly from our CRM system (customer relationship management or "fancy ***** database" for the uninitiated). The case shows up in a que that pretty much everyone can see. It wasn't unusual for me to call a customer back and have the case closed within a few hours. I think my record was 15 minutes. Customers are VERY impressed when they get a call from you before they even close their browser. Customers who e-mailed in problems got almost as quick service and if they called in, it was unusual to have any hold time at all, but 5 minutes or more would have been highly unusual. Our average number of new cases was around 300-400 per week. New cases always had a contact within 8 business hours. While the case was being worked it was never allowed to go more than 3 business days without customer contact, if nothing else to say, "We're still working on it". I wish all companies had similar standards for support, it's the greatest strength our company has.

Of course, don't get me wrong, customers still complain, they just don't know how good they actually have it.

Schwing
09-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Read my experience in the General Discussion section titled Lost Dongle - My replacement experience.

Karmacop
09-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Matt, that's a good idea actually. I've had experience with systems like that before. It's good because it'll receive little spam (as I imagine it'd be a web form), and the database of past problems could be accessible from the net for users to search for existing answers for their own problems.