PDA

View Full Version : Problems rendering large file

Scolopendra
05-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Hello there,

Recently I tried to render file with 3200x2400 resolution and had never seen results because the computer is freezing somewhere on the go.

Computer is: P4 2.2 Ghz, 512 Mb RIMM, ATI Radeon 8500 and OS is Windows XP. Lightwave version 7.5b.

The scene is around 100K+ mixed polygons and sub-patches. I'm using "dome" effect and trying to render with radiosity set to Monte-Carlo 7x21.

I'm usually leaving computer at night and in the morning I have a result. But I've never rendered files of that big resolution and now I'm experiencing problems.

I tried to slower CPU through BIOS but it doesn't help, I've downgraded to Windows 2000 but it doesn't help. And what is interesting if I'm rendering something more usual like 1024x768 I have no problems.

Is there any known issues why it might happen?

Rei
05-01-2003, 04:02 PM
try going back to 7.5 its more stable anyway, it could be that. Worth a try anyway.

Scolopendra
05-02-2003, 04:39 AM
Hmm, do you think it might help really? Why do you think 7.5b is less stable?
Thanks for help and I will try but I'm curious what makes you think 7.5b is less stable?

Matt
05-02-2003, 05:16 AM
WHOAH!!!!

3200x2400 with monte carlo radiosity!!!!!!!!!

No wonder it crashes!!! I wouldn't go anywhere near that res' without radiosity!

For that kinda res' you really need more RAM, I have 1GB and it still struggles with print res' renders.

Red_Oddity
05-02-2003, 05:36 AM
Slice it in bits and pieces using limitedregions...there are plugins available here and there:

Here's one i used by myself, most is self explanatory (and the resolutions in there are what i used for my 16000x10000 print render)
Most creditc go to the person who did the limreg plugins, as i copy pasted most of his work...

copy from the next line, paste in notepad and save as .ls file---->

@warnings
@name Limited Region slicer

// by S.Neve
// Change values at the RegionPosition to get smaller slices
generic

{
reqbegin("slicer");
reqsize(320,160);

var slice=recall("limreg_slice",0);
var slheight=recall("limreg_height",100);

c1 = ctlinteger("Slice NR",slice);
c2 = ctlinteger("Slice Height",slheight);

return if !reqpost();

slice = getvalue(c1);
slheight = getvalue(c2);

reqend();

RegionPosition(0 ,slice * slheight ,16000 ,slheight );
GoToFrame(slice);
FirstFrame(slice);
LastFrame(slice);
store("limreg_slice",slice);
store("limreg_height",slheight);
}

Scolopendra
05-02-2003, 09:19 AM
Ho-ho!

Din't ever imagined that print resolutions may cause crashes if memory is not enough. I thought it's only matter of having enough time to see completed render!

I thought since LW checking for frame buffers prior to render and if it begin to render then everything must be ok.

Thanks a lot guys for your help and my special gratitude for you Red_Oddity . I'll try to use it.

Scolopendra
05-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Ok, I've played a bit with this script but is there any way to automate the process of slice rendering?

Red_Oddity
05-02-2003, 12:05 PM
I don't know, i tried it, but i can't get LScript to adjust limited regions during a sequential render...
You have to do it by hand, segment by segment...

Maybe someone who's a bit smarter than me might add to this plugin....

(Also, you can only spend so much time on creating a plugin when a deadline is near...then again, with those slices the render was done in about an hour (no GI offcourse...), if you've been to the Car Salon in Geneva 2003 you might have seen the Audi car stand and noticed the nice 15 meter width print...that was that render:D )

Scolopendra
05-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I've played a bit but only thing I can get that it automatically renders region specified number of times. I can't force it to advance region automaticaly.

You're right adjusting script especially when you have no idea how to can take even longer, especially as you mentioned when deadline is near which is absolutely true in my case. I've never tried LScript yet.

Anyway, thanks a lot. BTW nice render you have, unfortunately I wasn't in Geneva but even from photo it looks well colored and monumental in size ;)

Red_Oddity
05-05-2003, 02:54 AM
I'll see if i can get it work today...
Since our office is being painted today (like in real life painting on the walls with white latex based materials ;) ) i might as well give it another go...

Oh btw, the plugin is pretty simple, you just enter a number (a slice going from 0 to whatever you fancy) and it jumps to that frame and sets the render panel to render from that frame to exactly the same frame (thus you can press F10 and it names your files sequentially so you don't have to go through the F9 process and give all those slices a number by hand and forget where you where 20 slices later:D )
I completely forgot to tell you this...sorry...

Scolopendra
05-05-2003, 05:33 AM
Yeah, I've found it, thanks. But when I have like 100 slices I can't sit here and wait when it finishes slice to tell it start another. I mean it doesn't automatically advance from slice X to slice Y.

btw, on the www.flay.com there is a nice plug-in which will same a sequence of scenes based on your scene each with unique limited region and then will even collect all rendered slices and built a complete image.
http://frenchwave.mental-tv.org/SplitRender/#US

The only problem I'm experiencing right now is to setup batch render on Screamernet. I just can't understand why Screamer is so user unfriendly, especially when I don't need to built a network render farm. Still can't force it to see my only one CPU. It says I don't have one:D

Red_Oddity
05-06-2003, 03:18 AM
I know, Screamer net is WAAAAAAYY to picky when it comes to config files and directories...but here goes:

Create a text file in your Lightwave Programs folder, rename it to LWSN1.bat, open that file in a editor and add this:

C:
cd .
cd C:\Lightwave7.5\Programs
lwsn -2 -cC:\Lightwave7.5\Programs -dZ:\Gebruikers\Sven\ProjectName Z:\Gebruikers\Sven\ProjectName\job1 Z:\Gebruikers\Sven\ProjectName\ack1

Where Z: is the hd where everything is located, as you can see i have NO DIRECTORIES WITH SPACES in their names (it doesn't always work when there are spaces in directory names or file names (like images, objects or scenes, so avoid this at all costs)

Also, note i use my Project directory (my content directory) as screamernet job and ack directory aswell, it keeps things more organised this way since you only have to remember that one directory (the one you have been working in for the last couple of weeks;) )

run the LWSN1.bat file, if all went right it should run LWSN (it now will whine about not being able to find job files)

Now fire-up Layout and open the Network render panel, set the Command directory to the ProjectName dir and let it initialize, it should now find one CPU...

-----

Check:

make a simple scene which uses some plugins you know give a specific effect, also, save you files as the LW_TGA32 format...

If something is wrong with your LWSN1.bat files (most commen is not finding the right plugin directory or configs (but it doesn't tell you:confused: ) it will render out black frames, or different stuff, often nameing the files .flx, you then know something is seriously wrong...

Hope this works for you aswell as it did or me...

DarkLight
05-06-2003, 06:35 AM
But of a plug here.

Try Amleto. www.rayserver.com (http://www.rayserver.com)

It will handle splitting the image into smaller, more managable sections for rendering and then merge the segments into the final image.

Red_Oddity
05-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Same plugin budd, you still need to get Screamernet running for that...

DarkLight
05-06-2003, 07:36 AM
Actually there's no plugins needed. Amleto will do all the work automatically.

Red_Oddity
05-06-2003, 07:39 AM
Doh...my bad...sorry...

edit

DL-ing now, and trying this...

Scolopendra
05-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys for your help.

Here is a link for nice utility which will almost automatically setup Screamer for batch render on one computer:
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/index.html

At the bottom of the page click on Other and in the listing you will see LWSN Controller. It is very simple but only for single machine. Thanks for John Fornasar for this link. It is very handy.

Btw, I've split my 3200x2400 image on 100 pieces with 5 pixels overlapping, so pieces are 330x250 pixels. I've run batch render and some of the pieces take no less than 7 hours to render. Is it normal?

As I mentioned above my machine is P4 2.2 Ghz and 512 Mb RIMM. 8500 Radeon based gfx card but as far as I know igraphic card not important during rendering.

After resolving a lot of poping problems with your help it seems like my image will take forever to render :confused:

DarkLight
05-06-2003, 11:45 AM
You're correct, the graphics card will not have any effect on the render times.

7 hours seems high for a 320x250 image. Using radiosity will seriously slow down the render. It may be it needs to calculate other parts of the scene outside of the segment you're rendering.

Scolopendra
05-06-2003, 12:09 PM
Yes, I'm using dome effect and Monte Carlo 7x21.
Damn, probably I should break image into bigger segments since it tracing outside of region anyway.

Weeell, live is eternal learning.

Red_Oddity
05-07-2003, 02:41 AM
Well, i guess you get high rendering times because LW still has to calculate all the radiosity bounces, which offcourse go through the entire scene....

Glad it all seems to work for you now, atleast that part is tackled...