PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted Particle Bounce

ponder_it
09-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Here's the deal. I have 1000 arrows that are hitting the ground. The best way to do this is with particles and linker. But the problem is that I can't get the particles not to bounce at all when they hit the colliosion plane set to stick. Does anyone know why they are doing this or how to fix the fact. The idea is that once the arrows come out of an arc, the 100% stick dead in the dirt, no movement. IN the pic you can see the odd particle as it hits the ground plane bounce in postive direction of the arc, but stuck to the gound plane. Any help would be appreciated.

MonroePoteet
09-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Increasing the particle weight in the emitter seems to fix the problem for me. I've got my particles set at a weight of 2.0 +/- 0.5, and a resistance of 0.0 +/- 2.0, which seems to give a nice spread of the particles, emitted at X=-9 and gravity set to -9.8, and they stick very well (or at least seem to).

mTp

ponder_it
09-07-2005, 10:26 AM
hey monroepoeet, thanks for the reply.

I plugged you setting in and ended up with the same result of the bouncing particles. I'm gonna try increasing the numbers exponentially to see if that works.

Cheers.

ponder_it
09-07-2005, 10:52 AM
does anyone else have any suggestions? I still con't get the bounce off the collision event. The bounce is fairly small, they only seem to move 100mm on the collision plane, but noticible enough.

ponder_it
09-07-2005, 11:44 AM
By the way your suggestions do work. But only when I hit start on the particle simulation. Once I do the fx link, it all goes to stink, and right back to where I started, meaning they bounce. So it's a lightwave bug, bunk.

Cheers.

Surrealist.
09-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Don't know if this will help. But notice the E button on the bounce power. I used this to put a fall off at the end of the animation and simulate them comming to a rest. Somthing to try that will eliminate the bounce all together at your specified point eased in with a curve.

munky
09-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Hi There,

you might want to go to your emitter properties and in the 'Particle' tab wind up the 'Particle Resistance'.

hope this helps

regards

paul

MonroePoteet
09-07-2005, 01:35 PM
I was able to see the skating arrows once I did the FX_Linker with an arrow.

I remembered a similar problem with some poker chips "skating around" after bouncing a few times off a poker table using HardFX. The solution was to set "Stop by Stabilizer" on the HardFX Collision page, and fine-tune the "Resolution" on the HardFX File page (why these aren't on the same page, I don't know).

Anyway, this seems to work for me on the arrows:

1) Apply HardFX to the arrow before doing the FX_Linker
2) In the HardFX Collision tab, set "Stop by Stabilizer"
3) In the HardFX File tab, set the Resolution to 1mm
4) Press Calculate to apply the resolution.

Additional testing seems to show that the Resolution value doesn't get applied when you reload the scene, even though it seems to be saved correctly in the scene. So, it seems like you'll have to do the FX_Linker step each time you load the scene unless you can find a workaround. In addition, I have to do a Calculate on the HardFX arrow to get the Resolution to be applied.

However, painful though it may be, it looks like you could create a scene with everything set up except the FX_Linker step. Load the scene, select the Arrow and do a Calculate to apply the Stop-by-Stabilizer and Resolution. Finally, do the FX_Linker to tie the arrows to the emitter.

Very painful, but it seems to work. Good luck!
mTp

ponder_it
09-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the intel. I totally worked, I did use that in the final version. But I also forund a way to do it in 7.5b, but I had a small amount of sliding, but hardly noticible. Your way works better and I will use that one. Cheers for the help,

Ponder_it

GaryLW
10-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Additionally, you could go to the EditFX tab:Edittool:delete and selectively remove any offending particles...it's a workaround.