PDA

View Full Version : Is LW 8+ stable on the MAC yet?

donc
09-06-2005, 05:02 PM
I chose LW for my MAC 3-D software when version 7.5 was the latest. At that time it was much more stable than MAYA.

I currently run LW 7.5 in MAC OSX 10.2.8 (with ATI bug fix installed). This setup almost never crashes! I love it. But LW 7.5 is holding up all my other apps. since I'm trapped in OSX 10.2.8

MAC LW 8x and the dark side:

I follow this forum closely I am under the impression that 8x on the MAC my still be a mess.

0 K bug?
points not showing up correctly?
Slow buggy OpenGL?
many, many, many crashes?

I this still the case?

If so is there any hope on the horizion.

Frustrated and considering switching.
Don

andypete
09-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Well, we use LW8 on Macs in a design environment and find the stability to be acceptable. It crashes sometimes, but not excessively. One step I took was to disabled the hub (it was big source of trouble for us). I use certain 3rd party plugins (many are free) in response to buggy and mediocre built-in functions. Also, a little LScript and Expression knowledge goes a long way.

I'd hang in there Don. Things appear to be shaping up. See what 8.5 and 9 bring. Besides, it doesn't cost that much. People tend to complain. What you don't hear often is what they value. For me it's the familiarity with the software and workflow experience, the lwo format, low maintenance cost, legacy projects, and the user community.

Regarding upgrading...we did, I did personally. Have you used Worely's FPrime? (a must have for me) You'd need the lastest build of 8. And Tiger...

I use other software too, but LightWave has been with me since the Amiga.

Andy

Captain Obvious
09-09-2005, 03:30 AM
I can't really say I have significant stability issues with 8.2. It crashes sometimes, but less than Maya or Cinema did, while I was trying them.

eblu
09-09-2005, 08:59 AM
well, lets put it this way: LW 7.5 is just as buggy as any version of LW 8+

NickLambert
09-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Don,
I have 8.3 running well on 10.4.2. Disabling the Hub, as Andy pointed
out, really helps. Newtek have done some great work since 7.5, and with
the Vue Infinite deal on 9...

... sorry almost went into "salesman" mode :foreheads

nuff said, I'd stick with what you know, I offen consider other packages,
grass always looks greener, but my Macs have run LW since 5.6...

Hope that helps?

atb
Nick

Captain Obvious
09-09-2005, 03:49 PM
I have the Hub up and running with no real issues caused by it...

Ross_DD
09-10-2005, 03:53 AM
please, excuse my ignorance (and sorry for my bad english...)

how it can disable the Hub on Mac version?

moreover, please, can i do another question?
on PC version i was customized GUI-colors via-Hub (adding some lines-code with relative RGB values in HUB-config file...); on Mac this wasn't being possible at the same manner.

Please, can You reply to this 2 questions?

Thank You Very Much.

andypete
09-10-2005, 10:08 AM
To disable the hub on the mac, simply remove it from the LightWave/programs folder. I keep my hub in the top-level LightWave folder. If I want to use it, I just move it back to the programs folder and restart LightWave.

I don't know the answer to the GUI colors question, sorry.

Ross_DD
09-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Please, excuse me again:

can i remove also this files?

Hub cmdline

hub_err.ENU

Thank You Very Much.

(i'm very sorry but i'm very ignorant about programming and file tipologies...)

NigelH
09-10-2005, 11:21 AM
I'd say, yes, upgrade to 8, (then, 8.3), there are many useful new tools there - but for GOD's sake, don't delete 7.5. Keep them both on your hard drive with separate preference files. You'll find that some things that worked fine in 7.5 no longer work in 8.X (like Expression Builder, for one), so it's very handy (life-saving in some circumstances) to be able to open a scene in 7.5, fix it, then re-open in 8.X.

In a perfect world, you shouldn't have to do this, but when the need arises, you'll be glad that you can.