PDA

View Full Version : Accidental selection of hidden polys

MrChristopherSL
09-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Is there anyway to avoid selecting polygons on the other side of a mesh when in Hidden Line mode? For some reason when in Hidden Line mode, polygons on the other side of forward facing polygons easily get selected. This is pretty annoying.

Chris

MrChristopherSL
09-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Ok, this is annoying. I'm finding that polygons that aren't even remotely connected to the selection area are becoming selected. How can this be? I'm swipping across a group of polys I want to selected but am noticing that others on other parts of the model also get selected.

Anyway to fix this?

Thanks,

Chris

Surrealist.
09-06-2005, 05:13 PM
I believe - just a theory - that this is a display issue. It could be related to video ram, ram in general and or open GL. Not sure. But I have noticed this primarily on models that are of a high poly count.

The reason I say display is because selection is based on the viewing area so somehow this is getting messed up.

Some poor chap had a thread on this awhile ago and everybody jumped in and was trying to give him all of the ins and outs of selection and hiding parts o the object and what not. I don't know if it was ever fully adressed as a problem.

It's might be a bug and you might think about reporting it as such. It also might be bad video/system ram. I have this issue as well as other things on my system that just don't work in LW but that do for others. It may be that it doss not happen to everyone.

It does not happen all the time, just on certain models that have high poly counts.

That's what I have on my end. The best suggestion I have is to just be aware of it and try alternate methods of hiding parts of your object and selction methods. Keep and eye on your model and deselect etc.

You can think about more ram or closing other programs. Don't know if any of this will help, just ideas.

Matt
09-06-2005, 05:53 PM
This is a bug, it happens in other modes not just hidden line mode.

MrChristopherSL
09-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Ok thanks. I did notice it happening in other modes as well. I have a 15" Powerbook 1.67 with the 128meg Radeon 9700 so it's the latest, at least Mac portable wise.

Thanks,

Chris

toby
09-06-2005, 08:45 PM
I read this post a few hours ago, but Matt responded the way I would've.

I've just this minute been bitten by this OLD bug AGAIN. Polygons GONE on a part of my object that I haven't worked on for about an HOUR.

Newtek, for the dozenth time, pretty please, fix the f*ing bug.

mkiii
09-06-2005, 08:53 PM
We could revert back to 5.x.... I don't think the bug reared its ugly little head until 6.0 came out. (well before actually, cos the beta version had it too)

Or.... we could wait & see what 8.5 eventually brings us.

StereoMike
09-07-2005, 12:50 AM
For me it only happens, when I zoomed into an area. Does anyone encounter this while looking at the model from a distance?

Sande
09-07-2005, 02:05 AM
Yes, it usually happens when you are zoomed in...
And you usually notice it after fifteen minutes of intense modeling without saving. And usually large parts of your model are fu**ed up after that. And this bug has been around for quite some time and has been reported over and over again. And Newtek just doesn't seem to care...

I don't care how much faster rendering will be with version 9, if I still have to waste my time fixing models because of this stupid bug.

toby
09-07-2005, 02:32 AM
I was going to mention the zoomed-in thing but I'm wondering if it's actually anything outside the viewport instead. Haven't had time to test it, but it's happened while I was a foot away from the nearest polygon,and the viewport was surrounded; it was a car interior.

Surrealist.
09-07-2005, 02:39 AM
For me it only happens, when I zoomed into an area. Does anyone encounter this while looking at the model from a distance?

I Had experimented with that and I was able to get it to do it with it zoomed out a bit.

But usually it is when it is zoomed in. This is why I kind of look at it as a display issue - which is kind of, duh, I know but at least understanding it from some point of perpective helps me kind of sort it out and predict when it occurs.

It hasn't caught me off guard lately. I have been careful and lucky. When it was first happening I was doing something that required a specific number of polys selected and so of course when several hundred polys wer selected when only eight were needed...

So I tread carefully whith a complex model now.

Surrealist.
09-07-2005, 02:42 AM
Yes, it usually happens when you are zoomed in...
And you usually notice it after fifteen minutes of intense modeling without saving. And usually large parts of your model are fu**ed up after that. And this bug has been around for quite some time and has been reported over and over again. And Newtek just doesn't seem to care...

I don't care how much faster rendering will be with version 9, if I still have to waste my time fixing models because of this stupid bug.

Are you on a mac? I seem to remember you being on a mac.

Sande
09-07-2005, 06:35 AM
Surrealist: Nope, I'm working with PC.
Using shift-a to zoom in selected polygons and watching the selected polygon count helps, but I really really wish they would fix this at last...

Surrealist.
09-07-2005, 12:32 PM
OK, I wonder if it does the same thaing on a mac. It does seem kind of weird that NT would completely ignore this. I wouldn't discount that, but don't you think if it was as simple as a program bug they'd have addressed it by now?

OK I know, I can feel the flood of responses about all the unfixed bugs, but there is something about this one that tells me it is not so simple as fixing some code, it must be tangled with something to do display. That is, video cards open GL ram and so on. Could it be some kind of compatability issue?

Part of my reasoning for this line of thinking is the reports about problems with ATI cards. I am not saying it is brand specific... I don't know jack. Just thoughts. I agree it should be handled one way or the other.

Matt
09-07-2005, 12:56 PM
I concur, it seems to happen when you're zoomed in, I never noticed this happen in 7.x, must've been introduced in 8.x.

I have a plan, despite lots of people mentioning this bug, we should all email NT at the same time with the same message, that way they can't ignore us!

;)

BTW: My system:
Lightwave 8.3 Build 801
XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz
1GB RAM (soon to be 2GB)
nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra 256mb (driver version 6.14.10.7777)

gerry_g
09-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Yeah it happens on a Mac just the bloody same,(posted to the Mac bug workshop on this) just about always when zoomed in and in any mode and to areas that are actually off screen............I'd say that spells BUG