PDA

View Full Version : In Modeler - where has the Volume button gone?????

Lude
09-06-2005, 03:44 AM
Hi guys just starting to use modeler 8.3 so still finding my way around the new layout, But i have no idea where the Volume selction option has gone - can you point me in the right direction.

P.S. i don't have time to go hunting the book right now.

thanks

Aegis
09-06-2005, 04:43 AM
Ctrl+J :thumbsup:

FONGOOL
09-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Yeah, they removed the volume button in ver 8. I've never used it, to me it just represented an extra spacebar press to get back to points mode. :D

is it different than just right-mouse lassoing? I'm curious because usually if I ignore a tool or don't know anything about it, that means that it's REALLY useful and I'm an idiot! :)

John Fornasar
09-07-2005, 08:45 PM
is it different than just right-mouse lassoing?

It puts the mouse into the standard Windows selection mode - you draw out a selection rectangle. It helps when you want to select points or polys running on a plane. The "lasso" depends on having a steady mouse hand.

I used it alot in the past when doing logos, and needed to select a tight bevel to assign a surface. Now, you can use Multi-Text to create a logo with bevels and sides automatically assigned surfaces.

In other modeling, it came in handy for selecting (for example) one contiguous segment of a ball. Band Saw Pro is easier and faster to use, and is quite a bit smarter. Create a ball, distort it a bit with Magnet, and you won't be able to use Volume Select to grab your segment. Band Saw will follow the lines of the polys even when they are curved off a straight plane...