well...got it [dvd]...seen it........

so, score out of 10?
..Hmm...4 or 5 out of 10.......

it's not that's it's a bad film....it's not bad at all ...it's just sorta
shorter than the tv mini show from the bbc and missing some of the charm
from the bbc version with 'some' better effects and a different ending in
the film version...
the vogon's didn't 'work' any better than the bbc version...missed
opportunity...done with rubber puppet's rather than cgi.
marvin's still a man in a suit but his voice and his lines are 'lost' and
he's turned into a minor background character played poorly...
also the Marvin robot design in the film is yuk...the bbc version was much
better 'character design' and it's actually in the film as a background extra too.

So, it's okay but i think i prefer the bbc version with it's cardboard walls n
all.........and marvin is SO much better in the bbc version.
one DVD that'll gather dust as a dvd stacked on my shelf no doubt...

there ya go!

you'll probably disagree....still that's my verdict n this one...maybe i'll
watch it again one day and see if there's much more to get out of it.....
doubt it but then my brain's a big as a planet!....ooh what's the
use?....what am i doing in the car park?....parking cars!......what do you
expect?

:cat:

T-Light
09-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Really Steve, you didn't like Marvin? Girlfriend and I thought he was one of the best bits of the movie, mind you, She's a Major Allen Rickman Fan. Favourite bit for me was the knitted Marvin and characters with the improbability drive, wanted a knitted Marvin for my desk.

Each to their own I suppose. :)

cresshead
09-06-2005, 04:55 AM
yeah there was some good stuff in there...the knitted section and the crabs were great...

seemed to me that the directors/producers were scared of using 3d cgi for characters except where they had no choice such as the crab sections..

a 3d marvin with better script/character development for him would have done wonders for the film..his character design was awful...looked like those cheap radio controlled robots from the gadget shop....maybe they [disney] were trying to have something 'cute' to sell in the shops from the film.... :thumbsdow

starbase1
09-06-2005, 05:14 AM
I was disappionted by the film, though on reflection maybe I should not have been... I just know the original too well. And the good bits weren't new, the new bits were not good.

meanlebh
09-06-2005, 09:33 AM
It's interesting to hear these reviews, I myself really enjoyed the movie, and even saw it on two occasions in the theater. However, I am not very familiar with the original at all, so it could be that I just have nothing to compare it with really (I suppose I will have to look into finding the original somewhere if that is possible?). Anyways, to each his own I guess. I wasn't aware that the dvd was out already, is it out everywhere? I thought that the last I checked it didn't come out until like the 13 or 14 of this month?

-Brian

Liber777
09-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Douglas Adams' unequalled wit -- is almost completely absent in this movie. The stunningly brilliant dialog, which was Adam's forte, has been almost entirely excised, and even the jokes have been surgically removed leaving remnants to the point where the setup is there but not the punchline, and visa-versa. The logic of the original storyline has been done away with and there are now plot holes you could fly a Vogon fleet through. Usually changes like this serve to improve the pacing and clarity of the storyline for the movie format, but this isn't the case here. The BBC version was far, far better than this. I'm stunned by the missed opportunity here, especially after 24 years of waiting.

On the whole, if you're not familiar with the material, the movie is okay and fairly funny, but the wit and cleverness is not there. The Magrathea planet building shop floor was very well done though, and is certainly a high-point of the movie, and I liked this version's Slartibartfast character better than the BBC production.

Ah well....
Stivan

BeeVee
09-06-2005, 10:43 AM
It doesn't help that the scriptwriter had never even heard of the book before...

B

prospector
09-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Haven't seen yet..
so does it even follow the book?

BazC
09-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Do yourself a favour and get hold of the BBC recording of the original radio series, the television series wasn't a patch on the Radio4 programme! Taking it to the big screen and an international audience was never a good idea in my opinion. A bit like letting Disney loose on Whinnie-the-Pooh lol!

cresshead
09-06-2005, 01:11 PM
and this WAS a disney production........

if you have never seen/heard the tv/radio version then this is a pretty okay film...but once you've seen the tv show or listened to the radio version then the film even with it's million's spent on it will look very poor...they really should have done a tv mini series like that of battlestar galatctica rather then squeeze it into a 109 min film...actually a film could have worked if they didn't pull the heart out of the script and muck with some of the characters so much.

btw watched it twice now.......didn't get much more the second time round...and i never saw it on the big screen.

Liber777
09-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Haven't seen yet..
so does it even follow the book?

Roughly, in the very beginning, but it quickly veers away. But even in the early moments the good stuff is done away with. For example the whole bit with Ford Prefect getting the construction crew boss Mr. Prosser, to take Arthur's place in front of the bulldozer in exchange for Arthur nipping off to the pub with Ford is gone. That bit served as a great introduction to the Ford character, and his unusual mode of thinking to solve a problem, and also was great bit of comic dialog. Instead, Ford shows up inexplicably with a trolley full of beer and peanuts and offers this to the workers as a distraction. It's not as funny, doesn't make sense, and it doesn't improve the story.

Liber777
09-06-2005, 02:02 PM
...actually a film could have worked if they didn't pull the heart out of the script and muck with some of the characters so much.

The Zaphod character in particular I think suffered from this.

starbase1
09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Yes, Zaphod came across as USA Whacky, rather than a cool egomaiac...

Kind of like so many USA sitcoms seem to need a 'nutter' character as a forced way to get laughs.

And I agree, I did not like Marvin at all - Mind you, the TV Marvin I also felt looked wrong. I somehow imagined him as looking rather more fragile worn and unreliable - after all, we are talking about someone who took the long route to the restaurant...

Absolutely correct, the original radio series remains the best incarnation...

Nick

Liber777
09-06-2005, 05:58 PM
The following snippet is from a review I found (http://www.planetmagrathea.com/longreview1.html) that sums up what I was on about much more explicitly:

The dialogue between Arthur and Prosser, which was written for a sketch in a Cambridge Footlights revue in October 1973, is a terrific example of Douglas' clever way with - and love of - language:

"I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."
"That's the Display Department."
"With a torch."
"The lights had probably gone."
"So had the stairs."
"But you found the plans, didn't you?"
"Oh yes, they were 'on display' in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the leopard.'"

Or, as the movie version has it:

"I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."
"But you found the plans, didn't you?"

Can you spot what has been removed from this scene, gentle reader, in order to shorten it? That's right. The jokes. The jokes have gone. The funny bits, the wit, the humour. The clever stuff that made it worth including in the first place...

The review is worth the complete read if you've already seen the movie. It does contain spoilers if you have not.

~Stivan

DragonFist
09-06-2005, 09:04 PM
I enjoyed the movie.

That said, I agree with you guys on missing elements. The movie worked for me; however, it acted as more of a visual summary of the first book.

I am somewhat saddened at the fact that many if the subtle points of humor were missed on. That bit above with the sign, "beware of leopard." Had me put down the book and laugh, giggle and attempt to restrain myself from rupturing for at least 15-20min. the first time that I read the book.

Another thing that bugged me a bit was the whole psychiatrists protest of deep thought and hiring the vogons sub-plot from the books was missing. I can somewhat understand that each version seemed to have this aspect different (I believe on the BBC TV it was philosohers.) but just dumping it I think was a mistake.

Yet, with all this, I somehow enjoyed the film. I think that part of it is that I have friends that would not read the books that are now interested and I guess that counts for something.

DragonFist

tiler
09-07-2005, 12:51 AM
i was crushed after watching it, same feeling i had watching highlander 2

how could they replace the Golgafrinchans with a happy disney ending :(

not good, not good at all

JohnMarchant
09-07-2005, 01:26 AM
Well having just seen the film its not a patch on the BBC Series. If you've not seen the tv series the film will be ok but do yourselves a favour even with the cheesy sets and all its far better than the film. Its a shame as Douglas always wanted it to be a film, i agree with previous comments it would have been better as a new series (Hint, Hint), even a CG one, just dont mess with the humour.

I think Alan Rickman would have made a better Zaphod Beeblebrox, Sam Rockwell whilst a good actor is nowhere near good enough as Zaphod.

Marvin The Paranoid Android was a shadow of his former self.

I think there was just to much material for hour and 45 mins film.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

gerry_g
09-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Well at least I got a free mug with my copy ........ guess I can always fill it with booze and drown my sorrows for having been stiffed for this crud

cresshead
09-07-2005, 03:08 PM
well there seems to be a cetain amount on consensus here.... :agree:

we all think whilst it wasn't 'absolute rubbish'...it did 'pong' quite a bit! :D

so...the 'disney magic' didn't work here...shame still i now have a 'present' to give to someone i don't like much for xmas!

ha ha ha!