PDA

View Full Version : Render Errors

Scott_Blinn
09-05-2005, 12:13 PM
While doing some render tests, I got little black blocks showing up in my renders. Any idea what could be causeing them?

Captain Obvious
09-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Standard Lightrwave renderer?

Scott_Blinn
09-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Standard Lightrwave renderer?

Yes- v8.3 on Intel.

Scott_Blinn
09-05-2005, 01:14 PM
BTW- the preview window shows these squares in red- but they only show up at the end of the render proccess. I am assuming these are errors of some kind- is there a log file or anything that outputs errors?

toby
09-05-2005, 01:22 PM
It looks like the old 'BRDF-and-raytrace reflection' bug. You'll have to turn one of them off, or render them separately

Scott_Blinn
09-05-2005, 01:42 PM
It looks like the old 'BRDF-and-raytrace reflection' bug. You'll have to turn one of them off, or render them separately

BRDF? (sorry, not up to speed on the LW lingo) :-)

Scott_Blinn
09-05-2005, 02:18 PM
The problem goes away when turning off Radiosity: Backdrop (guessing thats what BRDF means?) :-)

I also rendered the same scene on my Mac (with Backdrop on) and I get no errors at all. I guess this is an Intel/Windows related bug?

Has this been known for a while? If so, any plans to fix it?

--SB

Captain Obvious
09-05-2005, 02:40 PM
BRDF is a shader for anisotropic specular highlights, I believe. It has nothing to do with radiosity.

toby
09-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Hmm if it's not BRDF ( I would double-check the shader tab if I were you ) I don't know what it is :confused:
I've never seen this on the pc either -

I have an idea, try using the classic anti-aliasing instead of the PLD. I found a bug with it when it was in beta, it could be causing this too. PLD's not as good anyway -

Captain Obvious
09-05-2005, 04:54 PM
I second using classic instead of PLD. See if it solves the problem. Also, try to start a new scene and re-add all the objects, step by step until the problem comes back (if it does). It could be some scene file corruption that triggers a bug only in the Windows version, or something equally bizarre. You never know. ;)

Scott_Blinn
09-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Ok, thanks for the tips- I'll give them a try. Also, no BRDF plugin is on/active.

Also, thinking I had solved the problem by turning off Backdrop Only radiosity, I rendered a test anim- and still got a few frames with the black boxes. :-/

Scott_Blinn
09-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Ok, tried all that stuff out. I got errors with different types of AA. I didn't get errors with no AA in the few times I tried. Then, I couldn't get the error at all again.

I am wondering if it has to do with a heating issue with the CPU?

Oh well... :bangwall:

spud_q
09-06-2005, 03:14 PM
I recently got similar errors when working on a project in 8.3, and the problem went away when i subdivided the ground plane. No idea why this fixed my problem but you might give it a shot.