PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Glitch

Weevil
09-05-2005, 07:56 AM
As some of you know I have been experimenting with cloth effects. This thing has a mind of its own! :thumbsdow Did you know that if you use a setting for gravity (any setting), calculate and then alter the settings and calculate again you would get a different result (ie. cloth object falling through collision object) than first restarting Lightwave and trying that last setting. This is mind-boggling. :question:

Dodgy
09-05-2005, 08:38 AM
My results are fairly consistent, though it could be down to accuracy errors I suppose. Have you made sure you've saved the scene/objects between tries so they are the same calculations?

DragonFist
09-05-2005, 09:48 AM
If I remember right, there is something about this in Timothy Albee's Lightwave Essentials. Something about the order in which data is entered. But also, if you save and restart Lightwave, it works around this. I'd check out the book.

Best,

DragonFist

NigelH
09-05-2005, 10:11 AM
There are all manner of bizarre things associated with cloth dynamics too numerous to get into, depending on what flavor of LW[8] you're using. I have documented this (http://www.nigelanimation.com/bug/cloth_bug.htm) particular behaviour and sent it to tech support some time ago, but never got a reply. This particular problem exists in 8.3, but not in 8.2. However, 8.2 has a memory leak problem whereby I couldn't run that entire simulation without Layout crashing about halfway through.

I managed to wrestle what I needed out of the cloth dynamics for this particular project, but I would never consider it for something so complex again unless SIGNIFICANT improvements are made.

Weevil
09-07-2005, 04:20 AM
If I remember right, there is something about this in Timothy Albee's Lightwave Essentials. Something about the order in which data is entered. But also, if you save and restart Lightwave, it works around this. I'd check out the book.

Best,

DragonFist

Yep, I think I will pick up that book unless there is a better publication.