PDA

View Full Version : Communication question

lesterfoster
09-04-2005, 03:48 PM
I was just wondering what other people do for communication between the toaster operator and the camera operators?

I have just purchased six small 5 inch black-and-white Tv’s for my toaster and they all worked great. I used some BNC “T” connectors to split the signal from the cameras to the Tv’s and the Toaster. This made life switching much easier as you could see all the cameras at the same time. This investment benefitted greatly as it made for a much better production.

Now I am interested in investing into some communication to the camera operators. I feel that if we were able to communicate with each other, during the production of the live show, that it would make for a much more enjoyable product.

I have been looking at different devices such as 2-way radios, and cordless telephones.. I am looking for a partyline with about eight people in a gymnasium during different sporting events.

I am wondering what other people are using to communicate with, during the production of a live show

Do you use 2-way radios? Or cordless phones? Or some other communication devices? What should I be looking at, for investing into communication.

Here is a link to some cordless phones that look interesting. Has anyone have any suggestions or some other options?

Link Uniden Cordless Phones (http://www.uniden.com/productpop/00_productpop.cfm?prd_code=DCT748-4 to)

Thanks

http://www.uniden.com/images/images300/DCT748-4.jpg

TRCC
09-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Intercom system would be worth the investment, as I think with phones you cannot block out noise that comes in from the even, such as music playing, crouds applause, and it can make it very hard to communicate. Two way radios maybe but then they have to concentrate on pressing a button to communicate and it can be distracting.

Intercom systems would be the easiest, but if your looking for wireless, then maybe a two way radio system with headsets or earpeices, so you dont have to share your commands and instructions with the entire audience.

Luke

jport
09-05-2005, 02:46 AM
in a perfect world you can use a ClearCom System. pricey if your thinking of buying but you can rent a system.

in a desperate situation i've also used push-to-talk cellphones with voice activated headsets. the cellular company programed the phones so they grouped all the camera people on a shared line, the lighting people on another, backstage coordinators/Managers on another, etc. but the director could talk to everyone.
camera and lighting people had only earpieces. while stage managers and director had the headsets.

and since they never thought of using thier phones this way the service was free and we only had to rent 4 additonal phones.

Jim Capillo
09-05-2005, 04:32 AM
Check on eBay. Pro intercom systems are available from time to time at very reasonable costs. I prefer the wired systems, as we always seems to have receive issues when using wireless. JMHO

JReble
09-05-2005, 06:59 AM
The motorolla walkabouts work in a pinch, but they're no substitute for a proper intercom system.

BTW- Did you ever sort out your DVD-Ram drive problem?? Several people attempted to assist on your post regarding that, but never heard anything back. :question:

nevmoor
09-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Go to Churchmedia.net and search for telephone intercom. They may not be the greatest but they have 3 or 4 schematics that will take a set of phones and turn them into an intercom system. Someone even made one that will interface with clearcom systems. Also you might search out 'video over cat5'. there are some schematics for putting video AND com into baluns and then over cat5 out there. I haven't used this personally but I know of a few VT'ers that are doing it that way.

Ivan
09-05-2005, 04:02 PM
I have an EarTec 900mhz system that works when you are in sight of the other. I saw a 5.8ghz 4 unit ATT system at Sam's that looked like the Uniden system you posted above. Down side is that they are not as good as the FRS for quality or distance but the up side is that you can have a two way conversation without hitting a button. The Motorola system is better than FRS but more expensive. Wired systems I have used are better quality, two way all the time but they are wired. I have yet to see an inexpensive system that offers the quality that I would like. Guess you get what you pay for.

Ivan

Jim_C
09-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Portacom is a fairly reasonable alternative to clear com. Still adds up quick tho.
And you still have to run xlr. No reasonable and easy wireless set up. (At least with the portacom name on it)

Markertek carries em.