PDA

View Full Version : VT[4.5] productivity issues

Paul_Newman
09-04-2005, 02:24 PM
:vticon: Aura : Slower in processing a Targa series into an RTV file. Aura used to be my workhorse for this.

:vticon: VTEdit : Batch Capture : Can no longer right click on a file name in the capture list and rename it - have to go to file selector. This was a great productivity tool for heavy batch capturing work.

:vticon: VTEdit : Batch Capture : Can no longer right click on a timecode like InPoint, OutPoint and Duration and manually edit it. Again a great productivity tool.

:vticon: Using Win2000 I was able to use the hotkeys <windows+m> to minimize Toaster (and all the rest) to get to my desktop, but now I have to locate and click on Toaster's minimize tool - a hassle if you are switching to other apps all the time.

:vticon: VGA Capture : since installing VT[4.5] VGA capture EXE is just missing.

If I'm at fault for any of the above issues, please do correct me.

Ivan
09-05-2005, 12:12 AM
Don't know why Aura would slow down, are you now preloading the sequence?

Batch Capture, just click in the name area and rename. A little strange becuase you want it to change somehow to show that you are now editing it but it doesn't. Just start typing.

Same with Timecode.

Windows key brings the Start menu to front, if moving between apps, Alt Tab but I have to agree that it's strange Newtek would remove that functionality.

iVGA was ot included with the install of 4.5, it must be downloaded and instaled seprately, an oversite that was posted almost imediately after 4.5 was posted for download..

Ivan

Paul_Newman
09-05-2005, 01:10 AM
Don't know why Aura would slow down, are you now preloading the sequence?
Nope, I never preload. I use Aura so much for this that the hit on performance was very noticeable. Of course I don't have render speed comparisons because I've overinstalled. I'd say Aura runs roughly 1.5 times slower for this specific task.

Batch Capture, just click in the name area and rename. A little strange becuase you want it to change somehow to show that you are now editing it but it doesn't. Just start typing.

Same with Timecode.
Thanks. Used to be right-click and choose rename from a menu (unless I missed the left-click medthod previously). The left-click is more productive but like you say, it would help if there was a visual clue to indicate that you have entered text edit mode for that field.

Windows key brings the Start menu to front, if moving between apps, Alt Tab but I have to agree that it's strange Newtek would remove that functionality.

iVGA was ot included with the install of 4.5, it must be downloaded and instaled seprately, an oversite that was posted almost imediately after 4.5 was posted for download..

Ivan
I got some help on another thread and downloaded iVGA from the European site. Somehow the USA site did not mention the separate iVGA download nor have a download link to it. Unless I just missed it completely - which is quite possible . . .

Thanks for your reply Ivan. You've been a great help. Some of these issues are small, but they just help make a great edit system those few touches better. These things become quite noticeable when you do high volume work and with repitition you learn every trick to make things more efficient, even with Toaster being so incredibly fast as it is.

:thumbsup: :vticon: :thumbsup:

I'm one happy Toaster user. The past year I edited 52 x 1 hour golfing episodes for SuperSport here in South Africa (PAL uncompressed with mixed DV and Betacam SP footage) and Toaster just cut through the work like a hot knife. System was a dual Xeon 2GB RAM and a 600GB RAID running VT[3]. We tried upgrading my client's machine (I'm running VT[4.5] on my own system) to VT[4] but there was a real-time render issue where the green light said all was cool for real time playback but then it wasn't (visible jerks on things which VT[3] did realtime) and that meant we would have to render the entire one hour show into a single layer before dumping to tape to ensure realtime playback. Due to the deadlines we dropped back to VT[3] and my client still has his two machines running on that.

I'm happy with VT[4] on my single P4 system since I don't handle that kind of volume. That and the fact that I like to set all my compositing and CGen layers on high quality and do a render anyway to ensure my client gets the very best.

Kevin_P
09-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Yup, I don't have edit filename with right click here either... batch capture, filebin, or DDR. It would be great to get this feature back. It's been there since at least VT3. I understand that in Batch Capture at least, you can click on the box to enter text, but then you have to retype the filename.

Thanks,
Kevin Petajan

Paul_Newman
09-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Left clicking one of these fields (Batch Capture) allows you to retype the timecode or title, but not to edit it. This is a destructive edit function which can be handy in some cases but not all. Right click edit field (non destructive - move your cursor and edit) is still vital, as well as having a visual clue on BOTH left and right click edit modes. If I recall correctly, in VT[3] Right click edit had the field change to blue or something - cool. Left click also needs something like this.

I have now also been able to output DV via firewire (PAL) for the first time. Thanks Newtek! This feature is so helpful. No more analog hookups with messy wires :thumbsup: