PDA

View Full Version : Capture Issues

thartikka
09-03-2005, 04:36 PM
With VT4.5 a timed capture in RTV codec dropped frames and stopped (selected stop feature) after 13 minutes. I cleaned temp files and rebooted. The capture completed, however the audio only captured about half of the length of the video and then quit. I have dual zeons, 1g ram, nvidea, XP pro.

Ivan
09-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Delete the NewTek Info file and wait for the clip to finish conforming.

Ivan

thartikka
09-03-2005, 09:30 PM
I don't know about the Newtek info file, however the av file had long since finished conforming. I'm wondering though that the capture panel says it's still capturing long after the time recording has lapsed. It doesn't say it's conforming on the edit timeline, but is something happening behind the scenes? (Note; I've captured several hundred lengthy programs with VT3 with no problems.)

jport
09-03-2005, 10:39 PM
like many others who have complained about bad video captures or weird video playback this MIGHT be the symptoms of a failing hard drive.

have you tested your HDs integrity? if your useing scsi drives seagate's SeaTools can be used and it's free. go to Seagate's site.

also double check if it's just a fragmented drive. if your capturing/deleting RTVs constantly your HDs will look like swiss cheese pretty fast.

the only time i've ever had a problem with batch captures in which it doesn't stop is when a tape breaks track close to the end of an Out Point.

i hope i'm wrong about your hard drives. Good Luck!!

Ivan
09-04-2005, 02:08 AM
It seems strange that the AVIs would finish first so you may have a different problem, just going after the easy stuff first. I have noticed that the Timed record does appear to continue as well and though the recording stops the Record button stays lit. It has not been a problem big enough for me to trouble shoot yet and I have not had any problems like you descrbe but I have noticed.

Ivan

thartikka
09-04-2005, 06:19 AM
The computer is brand new. It is defragged. The hard drives seem ok though I haven't tested them with any special diagnostics. Playback is better than my older dual processor. Rendering is faster than realtime.

I'm wondering if VT4 creates a different type of audio file than VT3 did. I've noticed that WMP can't play the wave file although it plays the wave created with VT3. (Both waves created by the default codec selected with the RTV format.)

mikkowilson
09-05-2005, 02:42 AM
you arn't running the HD as FAT32 are you? ...that would shure limit your capture time!

- Mikko

jport
09-05-2005, 03:23 AM
did you build this system yourself or purchased it from a VT Dealer? is VT4.5 the only software in the system?

your audio issue might be becuase you selected FP or Quad audio in VT4. make sure you have selecte Stereo 44 or 48. FP & Quad audio weren't available in VT3.

Jim Capillo
09-05-2005, 04:29 AM
With VT4.5 a timed capture in RTV codec dropped frames and stopped (selected stop feature) after 13 minutes. I cleaned temp files and rebooted. The capture completed, however the audio only captured about half of the length of the video and then quit. I have dual zeons, 1g ram, nvidea, XP pro.

The NVidia manager isn't on, is it?

thartikka
09-05-2005, 07:26 AM
Thanks, everyone, for all the input!

My VT was purchased from a Toaster dealer, NTFS drives, the manager for nvidia is not running, there is software installed for Digital Rapids DRS500 hardware encoder card (used for years with VT3) and by the way is the premiere encoder and streaming card out there for the prosumer grade level.

I was running the Quad audio codec and I will change it and do some testing.

This problem acts/appears the same as loading a captured avi and then removing it before conforming is complete. The audio file becomes corrupted in the same way - audio is destroyed beyond the point at which the conforming process was stopped. (This was noticed with VT3.)

Since I capture with the record button in the editor verses the capture panel, the captured segment begins loading after capture completes. Perhpas the "finished capture" indication does not come on until conforming is complete. I doubt it, but it's worth looking at.

Jim Capillo
09-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Are the drives SCSI, SATA or IDE?

thartikka
09-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Drives are 10,000 rpm Seagate SCSI drives, approx 270gb. I just tested them with SeaTools with no errors found.

Also note that I have captured up to 3 hours of video in D2 format with no problems. Again, I saw the problem with RTV D1 capture.

jport
09-06-2005, 02:39 AM
let's assume some things here okay and your HDs aren't the problem.

judging by the fact that you have left all the default settings that came with the new system alone then let's take a look at your preference settings.

you've change your audio default from Quad to Stereo already. i'm going to assume that the guys who sold you the VT didn't calibrate your preferences panel and just installed VT software and ran auto config. so let's start here in you preference panel.

what's the setting for your PCi bus speed? what's the cpu speed on the VTedit section is it close to your actual cpus? what are the selected HD speeds?

thartikka
09-06-2005, 07:57 AM
64bit, 66Mhz, no limit
The VTedit setting is good
The HD speed is 10,000rpm

I did a couple of 3 hour captures yesterday after resetting the audio and they both worked fine. However, I'm not convinced it will still work everytime, so any other info. is appreciated. But it'll take time. I'll post to this thread any other results.

I do at least 3 major productions a week so it has to work and I have plenty of opportunity to establish a track record.

Thanks!!

jport
09-06-2005, 04:43 PM
i'm sorry i meant the:
-vt edit cache cpu limit?
-vt edit cache pci bandwith?
which are in your preferences.

thartikka
09-06-2005, 05:27 PM
CPU limit is set at 6.82g
bandwidth is at 100mb/s

jport
09-07-2005, 02:06 AM
you have dual 3.4 xeons? try lowering the cpu speed to 6g.

your pci bandwith try either lowering it to 80-90mb/s or going to the extreme and select unlimited. people say they get better performace around these areas. you'll have to experiment on what's best for your system.

don't feel too bad. it took me 2 months to tweak my VT4 to point where i felt comfortable editing with clients again.

Jim Capillo
09-07-2005, 05:50 AM
I've boosted my CPU to 10 - drives at 70. Seems to work the best there for me......

SBowie
09-07-2005, 07:34 AM
This is very subjective, of course. One persons ideal settings will vary from another's. It's not just local system resources that factor in, but the type of work you commonly do.

For example - for my own use, on a dual Xeon with either SCSI or SATA arrays, I usually just turn the cache off entirely while editing. Such systems will typically support 4+ layers quite readily with no BG rendering. If the complexity of the project calls for it, I might enable the cache for the final pass or not. If only a few spots are 'suspect' (a few layers with overlay turned on would fit this criteria) I might just opt to drop Force Render underneath them instead.

Setting the relevant Prefs items extremely low will always result in smooth playback, but if it's not really required you can be forced to endure unnecessary sluggishness while editing, and long cache renders on loading. As a general guideline and in my experience, for a dual Xeon with separate 64bit bus for fast video storage a cpu setting in the low 6's and 90-100 megs/sec PCI limit should be fine for most 'typical' projects (if there is such a thing).

p.s. - not that this should have much to do with simple capture.

jport
09-07-2005, 09:06 PM
imho, pretty sure that it's a HD problem, if not physical drives, then preformace issuses in terms of capturing video anyway.

i've captured RTVs on VT4 and they've done thier "conforming" during capture, at least from what i've captured. i don't get a "conforming" when i drop them onto the timeline for the first time. DVs, .AVIs, mpeg, the new NT25 i always get a "conforming" when i drop them onto the time line.

This problem acts/appears the same as loading a captured avi and then removing it before conforming is complete. The audio file becomes corrupted in the same way - audio is destroyed beyond the point at which the conforming process was stopped. (This was noticed with VT3.)

Since I capture with the record button in the editor verses the capture panel, the captured segment begins loading after capture completes. Perhpas the "finished capture" indication does not come on until conforming is complete. I doubt it, but it's worth looking at.

so i'm thinking either his drives are whacked, or his preference are set to low it takes a while to cache/conform or it's set too high his system thinks it doesn't need to do anything.

thartikka
09-12-2005, 07:42 AM
I've adjusted the preferences to 6g CPU limit and 80m for bandwidth in the VTEDIT cache. Also I am no longer using the Quad of FP audio settings. Weekend captures have been working fine. Editing is also working fine.

Thanks to all for your input.