PDA

View Full Version : Why no concurrent stream/record?

JumboCast
09-03-2005, 03:29 PM
While I'm in a flurry of posting, let me ask one more thing -- probably an engineering question.

I see from the QuickStart manual (as well as the user interface of the TriCaster) that it is impossible to both "Stream Output" and "Record Output" at the same time.

My question is -- ASSUMING that I do NOT write my stream to disk as I stream -- what prevents this functionality? I have a hard time believing (but am willing, of course) that it's processor-bound, as if I had a gigabit local connection, I could stream a Windows Media profile that was incredibly souped up (with a bunch of different bit rates, etc.), and (if I DID write THAT stream to disk) the resulting file could be extremely large. If it's some sort of DRM, that's good to know too, I guess (albeit befuddling, as it's my content).

So again, the question is: if I am streaming, and NOT saving the stream to disk, why can't I simultaneously record the presentation in high quality?

Thanks!

Steve Clay
JumboCast

StephenW
09-03-2005, 03:51 PM
I think it is probably too much for the processor to handle reliably. Much more risk for dropped frames and crashes.

We bought a $100 hardware encoder and encoded 6 to 7 hours a day for 4 days to another computer and then recablcast the mpeg-2 file at night. I think it does windows media too.

One other thing you will almost certainly need is a distribution amp. Radio Shack has a four channel for about $45.