PDA

View Full Version : Texteditor in LW

jaxtone
09-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Hey!

Maybe this isnt a support question... but after 8 years as a user I want to see some improvement of the text editor.

NEWTEK, please include some kind of interactive text editor in the package... Eight years later its still a simple True Type importer with no dynamic functions... BAD!

I want an interactive tool that makes it easy to change font, depth, bevel and even animated boleean functions if possible... and not the static one that NEWTEK now includes in the Lightwave package... Its really poor...

This text tool that is available today is only time consuming and defintely makes every process in a customer relation with tight deadlines complicated.

Just had a call from a company I help with producing film, 3D and music. By brand reasons they want to change fonts on a group of animated scenes I newly produced .. Hey NEWTEK... here comes the graveyard shift again...

Jack McGuinness
Creative Director / Producer
Sweden

PS

Had an idea from a fellow animator in Sweden... he said that maybe it was an idea to challenge scripter or plugin heroes to produce something for LW... well if NEWTEK doesnt maybe there are more guys and dolls out there that might be interested in this option as well... but a competition like this would be a great opportunity for NEWTEK to find and locate loads of unknown new guys out there... and hopefully give us users a facitility that has been in the shades for too long.

DS

lardbros
09-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Would be nice to have... gotta say!

BUT i still reckon that other more important tools within Lightwave need to be expanded upon, and made completely interactive, before the text tool is. I would love some way for processes to be editable after they have been made... not at all sure how this could be achieved in LW but most other software has something like it. Yes it creates problems in other areas but being able to edit a rail bevels spline after it has been created would save hours.

This thread should be in the feature requests really! oopsie

toby
09-04-2005, 02:06 PM
I read somewhere that LW9 will allow you to bevel text when you create it, and some other improvements - also that you'll be able to save some history - but I can't find it :foreheads - let's hope for the best...

I think text is kind of improtant, considering how much Lightwave is used for tv logo work. I'd put it ahead of any character animation stuff anyway

MonroePoteet
09-04-2005, 04:29 PM
There's a make_text.ls LScript in the distribution which reads a text file and creates a multi-line text object with a specified font for the text in the input file.

I've attached a quick modification to that script that allows basic extrude and beveling. I know it's not even close to the full facility you have in mind, but might help you meet your deadline(s).

I've only done basic testing on it, so be careful when you use it. It expects to own layers 1, 2 and 3 in Modeler for its operation. Hope it helps.

mTp

MonroePoteet
09-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Here's an interesting LScript I've used to dynamically create text objects. Read the comments in the script to see what it does.

mTp

MonroePoteet
09-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Here's an interesting LScript I've used to dynamically create text objects. Read the comments in the script to see what it does.

mTp

Dodgy
09-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Could you put the font stuff into a requester? You could make the script interactive too. I have a couple of interactive modeler scripts on my website. Lathe axis and subpatch cylinder are both interactive examples of lscript :)

jaxtone
09-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Thanks! Shall try these out after I delivered a customers film for Canada on thursday!

J