PDA

View Full Version : no license.key?

gazmon
09-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Hiya
Posted in the mac bit but no response! Just upgrade 7.5 to 8.3 on Mac OS 10.3.9 but the install didnt install a license key for the 14 day temp license!! which means I can't use the thing until the permanent 1 gets emailed to me!! any ideas?
cheers
Gaz

Surrealist.
09-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Go to help/ enter licence in layout and enter it there.

Newtek PLEASE make this a sticky.

How many time a week a month does this happen?

noyce
09-03-2005, 03:10 PM
I've just purchased a new Apple Mac and have installed lightwave 8 on it. However, it isn't allowing me to get out of discovery mode. I enter my serial and it keeps saying "incorrect format". Then all of a sudden it will accept it. When i enter serial in layout,it says restart lightwave to exit discovery. But it doesn't.

Any ideas much appreciated : )

Surrealist.
09-03-2005, 05:01 PM
There is another way also to enter it into the Cnfig(win)/prefs file (mac) directly, but I don't know how on a mac. I think there is a line in the text file that says license key and you can copy and paste it there.

Try a search on this forum for license key and see what you get.

gazmon
09-04-2005, 02:46 AM
hiya
Thanks for the ideas but this is what the help looks like- no enter license key.
This isn't really the problem though, the problem is when it first installs it should create a license.key file in the programs folder with a temporary number in that lasts 14 days until Newtek sends me the permanent one. I havent got the temporary license key so its running in discovery mode and I dont have a number to type in!

noyce
09-04-2005, 03:03 AM
It's really frustrating me : (
I've applied for a new license key but now have to wait. I presumed i would be able to install it on my new machine with the same number. Am i mistaken?

What's strange is when i type the number in it says, incorrect format?

Mylenium
09-04-2005, 03:16 AM
Go to help/ enter licence in layout and enter it there.
Newtek PLEASE make this a sticky.
How many time a week a month does this happen?

Like I said in the other thread: rubbish.

hiya
Thanks for the ideas but this is what the help looks like- no enter license key.
This isn't really the problem though, the problem is when it first installs it should create a license.key file in the programs folder with a temporary number in that lasts 14 days until Newtek sends me the permanent one. I havent got the temporary license key so its running in discovery mode and I dont have a number to type in!

Exactly. Had the same on PC with my LW 8.3. Definitely a flaw.

Mylenium

Surrealist.
09-06-2005, 01:40 AM
Like I said in the other thread: rubbish.
Mylenium

Man that's harsh. :)

I am just trying to help here man. I am not even getting paid so lay back on the crits already. It does work for some, if not for you, sorry I am not tech support.

There is no reason to spread false ideas either. That is the fix I got from tech support , it worked for me and I have helped others with it.

Obviously there are other problems you guys ars having here too so for gods sakes, take a step back and realise we are all in the same boat here. I have a half dozen things that don't work on my machine that work on other's machine with the same version and config. That's just the way it is.

I for one would like to get to the bottom of this because I see it all the time.

Now to the problem. Are we getting anywhere?

Does entering the licence key the config file work at all have you tried that?

As to the missing item on the menu is that because you are on a mac?

Also what is this about not having a licence key? Don't you get that when you register on line?

Come one guys, it's not all going to fall appart you'll get this fixed.

colkai
09-06-2005, 02:49 AM
This is a known hiccup, You need to install the license plugin script, then assign it to the menu.
You'll find the script in your Lw subdir, LScripts/Utility/makelicense.ls
Install as a plugin, stick it on a menu and orft ya go, no need for insults guys.

noyce
09-06-2005, 10:36 AM
That worked for me! Woohooo

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

DiscoBurgess
09-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Also what is this about not having a licence key? Don't you get that when you register on line?
Don't complain that this happens several times a month if you've not actually understood the problem. He already said he's waiting for his license key. You saying that the solution is to enter the license key doesn't really help, if you read the original post, does it? Newtek Europe users have to wait 1-2 days to recieve a permanent license key, during which time the software normally runs with a temporary one.

I think that's why your solution was greeted with the response "rubbish". You cleary didn't read the OP properly. No one's criticising the fact that you tried to help, but it can actually set users back if they are asking for help and recieve a response that doesn't make any sense.

gazmon
09-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Don't complain that this happens several times a month if you've not actually understood the problem. He already said he's waiting for his license key. You saying that the solution is to enter the license key doesn't really help, if you read the original post, does it? Newtek Europe users have to wait 1-2 days to recieve a permanent license key, during which time the software normally runs with a temporary one.

I think that's why your solution was greeted with the response "rubbish". You cleary didn't read the OP properly. No one's criticising the fact that you tried to help, but it can actually set users back if they are asking for help and recieve a response that doesn't make any sense.
Thanks for that. I got n touch with Newtek tech support who sayed to try reinstalling - which didnt work but that I should have my permanent license by now. Which I think I probably have but...my annoying email providers server has been down all week so still no joy (but not becuase of Newtek)!!
Good things come to those who wait I guess-just wish I could get the temporary license working!!
By the way-I didn't hurl any insults-wasn't me, just wanted to know if any one else had had the same problem and knew of a way to fix it!!
cheers
Gaz

Surrealist.
09-06-2005, 11:59 AM

Relax, it's all going to work out in the end. :)

Surrealist.
09-06-2005, 12:16 PM
I guess-just wish I could get the temporary license working!!

Have you tried a search on this forum? Others have offered alternate ways - I don't know how - to enter the key. If you try a search you might get one answers in other threads.

DiscoBurgess was right I diddn't even see that part in your original post. Don't know why.

But there may still be a way to enter that temp licence key, I don't know.

Try a search for license key, you'll find a ton of them. Don't know if yours is specific to not having a licence file or what, but at least check it out while you are waiting.

gazmon
09-06-2005, 02:05 PM
yep, did a search and couldnt find anyone with the same problem- my email seems to be randomly working now -occasionally getting an email that I shoulda got a week ago so fingers crossed I wont have to wait long now for the one from newtek!!!.....by the way, had been reading about lots of people having problems with registering Vue 5-that all worked fine for me. Yin Yang I reckon.
cheers
Gaz

gazmon
09-06-2005, 03:03 PM
:D :D :D
well finally servers sorted and I got my permanent license keys!!!
Right, so now what do I have to do with them again?
:rolleyes: just kidding guys!!
cheers and much smiles
Gaz

Surrealist.
09-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Well what you do is.... :D

Glad you got it sorted finally. :)