PDA

View Full Version : Morph targets - smoothing and slowdown

starbase1
09-03-2005, 04:09 AM
Hi All,
I have an object with I run through a series of morph targets, and mostly it looks pretty good. A couple of issues though...

1. The movement between targets is completely linear - but this means that as you move from one target to the next, you get a sudden change in direction. By analogy with the graph editor is there a spline like solution that will do this more smoothly? I can see it would be tricky! :stumped:

2. There is SOME parameter in there which is sometimes having catastrophic impact on render times - from 2 minutes up to 7 hours! :eek: It seems to hang on optimising a target - and as LW goes unresponsive wile optimising, I end up killing it. :2guns:

I'm begining to think it may be related to motion blur. (But it also seemd to go silly at this point when I added an HV object to the scene) Has anyone else found this? And maybe solved it? :compbeati

All clues gratefully received!
:cry:

Mylenium
09-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Hi All,
I have an object with I run through a series of morph targets, and mostly it looks pretty good. A couple of issues though...

1. The movement between targets is completely linear - but this means that as you move from one target to the next, you get a sudden change in direction. By analogy with the graph editor is there a spline like solution that will do this more smoothly? I can see it would be tricky! :stumped:

SmartMorph from Pavel Olas. The only tool in his range that I would blindly invest in (the others are okay-ish, but limited in usefulness).

2. There is SOME parameter in there which is sometimes having catastrophic impact on render times - from 2 minutes up to 7 hours! :eek: It seems to hang on optimising a target - and as LW goes unresponsive wile optimising, I end up killing it. :2guns:

I'm begining to think it may be related to motion blur. (But it also seemd to go silly at this point when I added an HV object to the scene) Has anyone else found this? And maybe solved it? :compbeati

All clues gratefully received!
:cry:

I don't think so, well, at least not directly. The optimization process would only analyze the geometry at any given frame and - of course with motion blur on - sub-frame. I doubt it will analyze beyond the actual frame. Most likely your geometry simply is not "optimisation-friendly" - many overlapping polygons due to deformations or use of transparent surfaces. I'd simply turn it off. I've found quite often that the optimization button is useless and in normal render mode time per frame is much better.

Mylenium

MonroePoteet
09-03-2005, 11:16 AM
The Morph Mixer displacement plug-in allows spline curves on mixing the morphs. If you overlap the curves and use the "Ease In/Out" on the keys, you can get smooth transitions.

I don't know about the performance issue, but thought I'd post the MorphMixer info.

mTp

starbase1
09-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I'll take a look at that plugin, I'm starting to use these morphs quite a lot.

I did poke around a bit more on what might be causing the problems - turning shadows definitely triggered it. Which s a bit of a pig... :devil:

The original objects were figures from Poser, exported in a variety of poses which I am using to animate the character in lightwave. Exported as OBJ then converted via lightwave modeller. I trippled everything, to be on the safe side.

I was able to reduce the impact of the sudden change to a degree by placing a spline control at each trasition point, and adusting it so the change was slower as it passed through that point. It does result in a sort of subtle soft lurch at regular intervals though, so I daresay a plugin will do a better job.

But I was not aware that this 'optimisation' could be turned off! :confused: Where is the control to do this? While I can probably get away with shadows off for this run, it would certainly look better with them on...

Thanks again guys,
Nick

starbase1
09-04-2005, 04:30 AM
Mylenium, is Pavel's program easy to use in your expeience? I looked at the web pages, and was not at all sure of how to use it, or if it would help with my smoothing problem?

Nick

UnCommonGrafx
09-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Just like using morphmixer but with a few more tools.
A very cool tool.

As to your abrupt transitions, go look at Proton's recent vid on seeing the Velocity curve. VERY informative! This may help more than the plugs.

munky
09-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi there starbase

re smartmorph,

If you download the demo you should get a manual with it. Also download the demo scenes which are very useful.

It's very easy to use ( it must be even I have no problems with it)

It's a great tool by the way I use it a lot

regards

paul

toby
09-04-2005, 11:47 PM
But I was not aware that this 'optimisation' could be turned off! :confused: Where is the control to do this? While I can probably get away with shadows off for this run, it would certainly look better with them on...
Nick
It's the 'raytrace optimization' button in the render options panel. It seems to hinder more often than help, but I usually try it both ways. Seems to help if you have more than a few objects and a lot of raytracing.

starbase1
09-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks - I thought that the button you mentioned only controlled the number of ray bounces, not mesh optization as well?

Anyway, I have completed the run without shghadows now - I'll give it a go next time.

Thanks, Nick