PDA

View Full Version : making one object follow another

biohazrd6
05-01-2003, 12:45 PM
In the middle of a scene I have one character grabbing on to another character and flying him through the air. I want to animate the null of the first character through the air and have the second character just follow, so they stay in the same position relative to eachother. Is there any way to set it up so that from the point of the grabbing that the second character will automatically follow the first character. I could really use some help. Thanks.

-David

mattclary
05-01-2003, 01:27 PM
How about using the second character as the parent? Once he is grabbed, use HIM to control the motion.

marvin
05-01-2003, 03:13 PM
I've been curious about that myself. You want it to parent at a certain point in the animation, and not from the beginning. There's a plug-in although I can't remember what it's called. Anyone out there remember. I'm at work and can't check, but I think if you have LW 7.5, it is automatically with it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

marvin

wacom
06-05-2003, 06:52 PM
The book "Inside Lightwave 7 (p 735-738)" talks about this and how you can do a dynamic parent with simple expressions. OK, so they aren't simple enough for me to write down here and now...but they're there. Then you can have the parenting "shift" over time. Like a SA missle shooting from a truck and following a plane...

try www.powells.com for the book- it's helped me fill in some gaps...

Hope this helps...

trentonia
06-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Worley Labs has a plugin pack called "The Polk Collection". It is a collection of 20 different plugins and one of them allows dynamic parenting through a scene. http://www.worley.com/polk/polk.html#toppolk