PDA

View Full Version : Reflective surfaces on characters...

turbo
09-02-2005, 02:11 PM
If anyone is familiar with using Lightwave and the Torque Game Engine and has experience creating models with reflective armour bits, I could use some help.

I've created two texture images. One for the colour channel and one for the reflection and specularity channels. I have only applied the reflection and specularity %'s to the arm surface but the entire model is affected. I realize the reflection % is high, but this is just a test. Can anyone help me with the set up for reflection and specularity to just affect a specific surface rather than the whole model?

somnambulance
09-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Without the shader engine... I know in the demo a year ago they showed a mirror.

err... let me look something up...

turbo
09-04-2005, 08:02 PM
As it turns out, I was trying to do yet another unsupported thing. (at least with this version of the exporter and engine.)

The reflectiveness etc. will work on separate meshes. But not in the context of using an alpha mask. (which is what I was trying to do with detailed bits on one specific surface of one mesh)

So, the way things are currently, I have to have a separate mesh bit for reflective detail. Polys, not alpha used as a mask. :(

oh well..

somnambulance
09-05-2005, 11:22 AM
If you had the shader engine... well, I think it would probably be easy. You are on a Mac as well, correct?

turbo
09-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Perhaps.. but I have not seen anyone who is using Torque do what I was trying to do. Yes, I'm on a mac, and TSE is Direct X only without any OpenGL support in sight at this time. Its our policy to not support any Windows only resources. Our products are cross platform. :)

somnambulance
09-05-2005, 09:25 PM
That is a good policy. I had it up until Friday, I threw in the towel and I am on a Dell now... I have made a tremondus ammount of progress using Unreal over the weekend compared to Torque on a Mac. UnrealEd is amazing, I wish there was something like it for a Mac. I have serious props for you and your crew.

turbo
09-05-2005, 09:35 PM
... but aren't you just limited to 'modding' with that scenario?

"props"?

somnambulance
09-05-2005, 10:41 PM
'Props' is my wanna be gangster talk... props... humm... props... ?? I donít know! I used it instead of 'respect', because I am a thug. (thug smilie not available)

'Modding', yes, unless you have the $750,000.00 for the SDK. However it uses scripting (like Torque), so it appears you can do a lot with an Unreal mod. I played one mod that was 'Guerrilla War' or 'Syndicate' overhead camera style shooter. The free version 'Unreal 2 Engine Editor' and the version that comes with Unreal Tournament 2004.

How are you exporting .dif's?

turbo
09-06-2005, 08:54 AM
:D kool, thx
<wants to be a gangsta too, but settles for tomboy>

Yeah, we are using hammer for difs atm, not a great choice but the only one, really, till Constructor comes out. Fortunately our first title is not about huge fancy interiors, but more about our characters, hand done animations, gameplay, customized camera control and terrain.

somnambulance
09-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Hammer, on a Mac? I thought it was a .exe only? Is Consturctor going to be Mac compatible?

turbo
09-06-2005, 12:23 PM
lol, no.. on my PC.
I have an L-shaped desk. My DP G5 and ACD are in front and my PC and LCD are on my right. We are building cross platform and have to test on mac, linux and pc anyways.. but my dev platform of choice is, of course, mac.

Funny thing is.. Varmint, our programmer has been developing on mac only for the last 6 months, then turned to his PC on his left, compiled the project on windows and it compiled flawlessly.. :P

somnambulance
09-08-2005, 08:39 AM
That is crazy that it worked flawlessly.

Sounds like a nice setup. I just ordered a KVM switch so I can open up some room on my desk. I am not sure how the keyboard part of that is going to work (Mac/PC), but because of everything else (wacom and LCD) seems like I made a good choice.

BTW: From the screen shot at the begining of this thread it looks like you're doing a great job! It looks awesome. I checked out your forum too, airKraft, LOL!

turbo
09-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Just goes to show how stable and reliable the mac code is.. and how good he is at it, I guess. :)

Varmint is using the KVM switch solution.. I can pass on any tips about it from him when he is available.

ty for the kudos.. We've way scaled back the project tho.
Its gone from KW mmo to Kwic (small version) to KWL - a single or multiplayer offline simpler game.
This way at least we'll be sure to ship a title.
Plus we can put way more into character development and custom animations.
We can grow it from there. :D

(sorry about this thread meandering away from the initial post) ;)