PDA

View Full Version : Best Build to Order Graphics Card?

tumblemonster
09-02-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm doing an Apple Store Build to Order G5. I'm buying the dual 2.7 with 2gig of RAM, and I'm getting a 30inch cinema display. My question is, which graphics card option will give me the best performance with Lightwave? I use lightwave 8.3.

Thanks

-Jason

tumblemonster
09-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Does no one know?

randysolo
09-07-2005, 11:08 AM
I'm guessing the faster the better. They have a card with 256 megs on it for about $400 but I think it takes up more room in the box, cutting your PCI card capacity to 1. (I think) check them out but make sure you don't have any other needs for additional cards before you commit. I'm still debating on what setup to get. I'm wondering if this Intel thing is going to affect speed, compatibilty etc.

hope this helps,

randysolo

munky
09-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Hi there,

If you are going to be using a 30 inch cinema display you will have to use the card thad your mac comes with or the display won't work. I'm assuming that the latest macs from what I've read come with the gforce 6800 ultra ddl.But check that out first.

Oh no they don't but see the apple blurb below

buying your extra ram from apple is a really expensive way of doing it by the way. I'd go to crucial or Kingston and check out their prices, stick it in yourself and save a load.

Apple says

"Standard dual-processor Power Mac configurations feature the ATI Radeon 9600 or the ATI Radeon 9650 graphics card for excellent all-around performance. The Radeon 9600 can handle up to two 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays, while the 9650 supports a 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display right out of the box. For true over-the-top performance, configure your system with one of the fastest graphics cards available: the ATI Radeon X850 XT or the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL. In fact, the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT even allows you to connect two 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays for a staggering 8 million pixels of screen real estate."

regards

paul

randysolo
09-07-2005, 11:48 AM
The NVIDIA claims to be great for 3d apps but see the blur (From Apple's website) about the slots....

"NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL
Run the most demanding 2D/3D applications across two 30" displays for the ultimate in creative freedom.

The NVIDIA card occupies the AGP slot and adjacent PCI slot; all ATI cards occupy the AGP slot only."

take your time...

randysolo

Captain Obvious
09-07-2005, 12:06 PM
The Radeon X800 or whatever. Top-of-the-line (read: most expensive) ATI card. The state of Nvidia drivers for the Mac is sorry, to say the least. There are graphics bugs in quite a few 3D applications, little to no settings, etc etc etc. I really recomend getting an ATI instead, if you use a Mac, simply because of the drivers. Besides, when you start turning on anti-aliasing and such, the ATIs are faster, too (another driver issue).

The X800 only has one dual-channel DVI (for the 30") and one normal, but I'm told it makes less noise, which is always a plus.

BeppeTurbo
09-07-2005, 03:10 PM
The BTO/CTO version of the ATI X800 is the X850 XT an overclocked version of the X800.

Mats

randysolo
09-08-2005, 09:09 AM
It makes me wonder....

Do I buy a new G5 -- $2999.00 or buy a PC -$1500.00 and put in an Ultra high end graphics card NVidia 4500 - $1700.00?

Will Macs have the same options for video cards (ultra high end) when they switch to intel?

Any0ne have any documentation?

randysolo

BeppeTurbo
09-08-2005, 10:14 AM
I doubt it, I don't think the CPU is the issue. Maybe the market for Apple high-end graphics cards are to small for nVidia and ATI to bother making drivers for Mac OS X.

Mats

drmcdonald
09-13-2005, 01:52 AM
I just got a 30" Apple display a couple of months ago and after quite a bit of research decided on the ATI X800 because it's smaller, quieter, cheaper and I won't ever want to run ( or be able to afford ) two 30" displays. I've run LW 8.3, modo and my other graphics apps every day since and have not had a problem.

Rabbitroo
09-14-2005, 10:17 PM
I run dual 23" HD's from X800 and am reasonably satisfied with the results (I need to see how NewTek does with future versions--right now OGL is too slow when compared with apps like Modo.)

-K