PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitor question

KSTAR
09-01-2005, 02:00 PM
I am currently running a dual montior setup using the Quadro 750 and the latest drivers, and Im running it in Dual Mode

Is it possible to run Lightwave on the left monitor and various menus panels etc on the right monitor, that are all Layout menus, and then when switching to modeler (the hub is running) which opens on the right screen have all the menus panels etc for Modeler open on the right screen with the Layout menus panels etc going away?

Currently on the right screen I have menus panels etc for both layout and modeler open so if Im working in layout and accidently click on a modeler dialogue box it switches to modeler on the left screen. I could easily fill up the right screen with just layout or just modeler menus panels which is what I would prefer, but then I couldnt switch via the hub and have my menus open for tha application I was using.

Is this possible with any of Nvidias screen managing tools in any way? Or any other option? Or do I need to share screen space. I know if the hub is closed its not a problem but I usually work with the hub running.

Red_Oddity
09-02-2005, 03:34 AM
well, not sure what exactly the problem is, but when there are windows in the way, why not just click <window button> + <D> to hide all windows (reveal Desktop shortcut) and then just <Alt>+<Tab> or click on the modeler in the taskbar to reveal only modeler.

Or when you want to hide Layout, just click on Layout on the taskbar (clicking once reveals the program, clicking again hides the program and all asociated windows)

You could also try to use the nVidia Desktop Management tool to have multiple desktops running, try running Layout on one desktop and Modeler on another....not sure if this will work like you want it to though

WizCraker
09-02-2005, 07:10 AM
pressing tab should hide all open menus also.

KSTAR
09-02-2005, 08:10 AM
I may not have made myself clear. What I want is all of the windows for either layout or modeler to fill the right monitor but not a combination of both, but only when the associated application is running on the left monitor. Basically either app would have its own desktop. I cant figure how to do this if its possible.

Red_Oddity
09-02-2005, 10:44 AM
like i said, have you tried nVidia's Desktop management tools (can be found under Display Properties - Settings - Advanced - (Card model) - Desktop Management
Under the Desktops functions you can enable Multiple Desktops

WizCraker
09-02-2005, 01:13 PM
I don't think it can work. Layout and Modeler are two sepearte applications, and if you have windows open on your second monitor and you then open modeler on the 2nd monitor Layout will not auto learn and say oh look my brother is opening next to me let me move my window panels for you to my monitor.

GregMalick
09-02-2005, 04:40 PM
I think the best you'll be able to do is arrange the panels to somewhat overlay each other in the right monitor. When you switch between apps, the correct panels will be displayed. Unfortunatly, Layout panels take up a lot of screen real estate so this won't be a perfect solution.

I think this is basically a windows issue -- unless you minimize the application itself, its panels will not minimize.

KSTAR
09-02-2005, 05:11 PM
you know I never thought about minimizing the windows, which actually works fine and solves my problem. I am so used to hitting F12 and switching between the two ( Im an old Amigian) so when that option didnt work I just assumed minimizing would give the same results. Interesting how windows handles such a thing. Oh well I just have to break an old habbit and keep my finger of F12 :)

sk810
09-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Nvidia's Nview allows you to run two desktops at the same time. So you would open Layout on one desktop. Then Switch to a new desktop (which would look like no programs are open) and open modeler.

found these videos on nvidia's site:
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/io/2137/web04_multiple_desktops.avi
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nview_tutorials.html