PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better set-up than this?

Elliotjnewman
02-15-2003, 10:07 AM
I was wondering if anyone would recommend a better config than what I have at the moment - I mean not getting the new duel 1.4 gig macs, but what can I do to improve this current one...

G4 duel 1.25 gig
512 DDR Ram
ATI Radeon 9000

let me know...

cheers.

Meshbuilder
02-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Buy the gforce 4600 titanium card..

nikmills
02-15-2003, 11:32 AM
I'd get more ram.

serpicolugnut
02-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Add more RAM to your computer and you should be good.

I'm not sure that subbing a GForce4Ti card for the Radeon9000 will improve anything. The Radeon9700, however, might. But we'll have to wait to see how it performs on the Mac, once it is released...

Elliotjnewman
02-15-2003, 03:11 PM
yeah, I ordered another 512 mb ram ontop of the standard system config. but I recieved a 256 mb instead - I should have gotton them to change it but at the time I just wanted to get home and start up!

Next thing is ram then... the annoying thing is though - I have an older G4 with a 512 mb ram upgarde init - I have tried to slip that in my new G4 but, of course it doesn't fit!!! hehe - worth a try!

I am thinking about the GForce 4 Ti next... but its not essential I suppose.

Meshbuilder
02-15-2003, 03:24 PM
http://mirror.ati.com/products/mac/radeon9700prome/index.html

I wonder if it accelerate Lightwave´s OpenGL?

Elliotjnewman
02-15-2003, 03:50 PM
Looks like they are promoting it as a game card... wonder how much it will improve on the 9000 card...

serpicolugnut
02-15-2003, 08:51 PM
The 9700 (upon it's release), will be the best graphics card (for 3D) that you can buy for the Mac, at least until nVidias next chip comes out. That next nVidia card is supposed to be a behemoth though - it takes up 2 slots, because it's fan is so big.

Plus, ATIs drivers tend to be a little better on the Mac, whereas on the PC it's vice-versa.

nikmills
02-15-2003, 11:15 PM
Really I'd like to know what difference a card makes. I have a nvidia geForce4 MX. I sold the geforce 3 because it was too loud. Then I bought a new machine. The jump from a dual 800 to a dual 1 gig I notice. Everything faster. That jump included the new card. I never switched cards to test. But WHAT does a faster card do? Processor power I understand. More calulations; faster render. But does any card really have trouble keeping up with the cpu? Is it all about redraw?

I know it sounds basic. So be it. Can someone explain?

:confused:

rkn
02-16-2003, 04:27 AM
Yes the graphic card will help with screen redraw and textures and all that good stuff. I'm still using a Radeon 8500 w/a Powerlogix 1ghz single. When I upgraded it I noticed an increase in speed and screen redraw (was previously a G4 450 w/ Radeon). Bah, now I'm adjusted and it seems as slow as it was before.

Ade
02-16-2003, 08:13 AM
Radeon 8500 is a faster card than the 9000 in all aspects.. 9000 is the mx version of the radeons.
Try and get an ATI 9700 or just goto a pc shop and buy a GF 4 ti card and mac flash it to save some money and spend it on more ram.

Get one of those 8 meg cached Seagate HD's, almost as fast as a UW scsii drive for less.
Or go UW scsii.
Try and have 1.5 gigs of ram.
Wacom would speed up productivity too.

Elliotjnewman
02-16-2003, 08:31 AM
'Radeon 8500 is a faster card than the 9000 in all aspects..'

Eh??? Why is that a faster card???

ATI 9700 or GF4 Ti which is the better and how much is the difference?

'Get one of those 8 meg cached Seagate HD's, almost as fast as a UW scsii drive for less.
Or go UW scsii.'

I have a Wacom thats no problem.

Ade
02-16-2003, 09:47 AM
ATI97000 is faster than GF 4 ti.
GF 4 ti can be cheapoer if u buy a 3rd party pc one and flash rom it, you could save %50.

8500 was faster than the 9000 card in every aspect, ATI just used stupid numbers to confuse everyone, FACT.

8 meg cached Seagates now are 10k rpm in speed, theyre very very fast, as fast as UW 160 scsii !

Elliotjnewman
02-16-2003, 10:10 AM
"8 meg cached Seagates now are 10k rpm in speed, theyre very very fast, as fast as UW 160 scsii !"

Why do I need one of these? I already have a hard drive.

aloysius1001
02-16-2003, 08:36 PM
I was reading this forum and ran across people talking about buying a G4 for a PC and "flashing" it to work on a Mac. How do you do this? Is it complicated?

NigelH
02-16-2003, 10:53 PM
All of this is academic until drivers exist for the mac that take full advantage of the capabilities of each card... which they don't. At this moment, there is no perceptible difference between a GeForce3 and a Geforce4Ti card on a Mac (where 3D work is concerned, anyway). You should save yourself the money. I don't know how they stack up against the ATI cards, but you can pretty much ignore the stats on the Nvidia site. The cards are awesome, but without the drivers, it's all meaningless (yes, I own a GeForce4Ti).

anieves
02-17-2003, 10:01 AM
I bought an ATI 8500 and had redraw problems. It wasn't performing as it should. Making layers bg layers was a nightmare, the black geometry disappeared randomly on any modeler view port.
I retured the card and bought the Ti. I notice improvement but not as much as it should due to the drivers the bg layer problem is still there but not as much as with the ATI.

My patience is running out, I'm getting sick of waiting for Apple to deliver and I'm in the brink of buying a PC (yuck!) as they say, time is money.

mlinde
02-17-2003, 02:57 PM
My 2 cents:
Maximize RAM. 512 is good, 1.5 GB is better.
Video cards are a gamble, unless you have a 16 MB card (single monitor) or a 32 MB card (dual monitors) there isn't any compelling upgrade here. if you need a performance increase, get an older GeForce 3 off of ebay, it might be an improvement.

The 9700 is (apparently) a kick-*** card on the PC. So was the GeForce 4. Performance in Windows means absolutely NOTHING when you buy a Mac card.

toby
02-18-2003, 12:18 PM
Elliotjnewman, what is it about "very very fast" that you don't understand?

With a 10K hard drive you could do real time video-capturing, and play high-res movies without stuttering and stalling.

Renders with thousands of frames would benefit from faster writing capability too

Elliotjnewman
02-18-2003, 03:21 PM
I always thaought that apple did the faster drives - remember all that 'real time video editing' adds for Final cut. hmm, what kind of speed increase would it give besides video editing? I think my main priority is ram as LW and Maya are both a little sluggish on certain memory tasks and history purge is a tool I use quite a lot. Then I'll get a new graphics card, although I am pleased with its current performance.

What I want to know is why apple think 256 ddr ram is enough - especially as the model I bought was their 'graphics proffessional' solution...

Need to get a new monitor, using a 17" studio display and would love to have a big cinema display...

is it me or do any of you think about upgrading as soon as you aquire new hardware???... I think I get power hungry...

toby
02-18-2003, 04:56 PM
yes, there is never enough power or speed.

Think in terms of how much each upgrade costs, then decide what's the most important to you (or fix what annoys you the most) -

Display speed?
Render speed?
Display size?

Ram is the most important, not only for render and display (osx) speed but also stability.

I have a GeForce2 and it's enough to get the job done, so I'll upgrade something else first, etc.

7200 rpm is a fast-standard speed hard drive, 5400 ( Slow! I hate them!) is what comes on iMacs and Powerbooks ( no one makes faster ones for laptops) and it's cheaper, 10,000 rpms is a hot rod

I must have one.