PDA

View Full Version : ATI FireGL X1

stnage
05-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Anyone use this card?
I was going to get 3Dlabs vp870, yet Dell do not carry it.
I can make a box...which I really want to get a Dell from Ebay.

Any suggestions?

One more....Can I have a network rendering between Mac and PC if I have a server?
Just for Curios.

Thanks All.

big back comics
05-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi:

I have the card in my dell workstation and I find it great! My old matrox g400 would take way longer when manipulating polys. I would have to wait while a selection built in all four viewports. Now with the gl x1 everything is instaneous. I was a bit skeptical because ati's cards are not the worlds most respected open gl performers. This one must be the exeception to the rule.

I consider myself a newbie though, so take my thumbs up at face value. I am working on some good polys (I am taking Larry Shultz's character course.. )http://www.splinegod.com/professionalcharacterseries.htm though and everything so far is working perfectly on all the modeling/surfacing I have done.

As far as cross-platform render farms go, everything can work. I say can work becuase screamernet is not an easy thing to setup on one platform let alone two. Having said that it is something that I am going to try in the near future. The only thing to be wary of besides setup is single platform plugins. Your render nodes will require any plugins that you used in order to work.

Hope this helps.