PDA

View Full Version : Backup Process?

Lebowski
08-31-2005, 02:57 PM
Everyone chime in on their Backup process. Especially those who are post facilities...I'm currently just burning to DVD, VTP files, CG files and anything imported to the project that could be used to rebuild a project if that need be done.

If you have a better solution, I'd really love to hear it.

By the way VT, I'm loving 4.5 so far...very minor annoyances with this version...many thanks... :thumbsup:

Jim Capillo
08-31-2005, 03:51 PM
I've got a couple of external firewire drives that I've been dumping everything to. After a couple of months or if I know that they're not needed anymore, I'll erase them. For the quarterly projects, I'll bring the folders back to the SCSI array when I need to edit. I've also burned the raw clips to DVD as well as the usual BetaSP copy.

Jim_C
08-31-2005, 04:12 PM
I've got a couple of external firewire drives that I've been dumping everything to.

Pretty much same thing.

I keep everything dealing with a project in one folder. Move it to the FW drive when complete.

One trick. If I have to do a quick re-edit or change I just hook up the external, use disk management to temporarily change my scsi raid drive letter to Z instead of V, and then set the external FW drive to V. Then when I load the project it loads everything off the external drive. No red clips and no dealing with the cumbersome spreadsheet. Make my change... save all, do the dew... unhook, and change the SCSI back to V.

I know, like Nihilism, it sounds exhausting.. but it's painless.
;)

Jim Capillo
08-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Pretty much same thing.

I keep everything dealing with a project in one folder. Move it to the FW drive when complete.

One trick. If I have to do a quick re-edit or change I just hook up the external, use disk management to temporarily change my scsi raid drive letter to Z instead of V, and then set the external FW drive to V. Then when I load the project it loads everything off the external drive. No red clips and no dealing with the cumbersome spreadsheet. Make my change... save all, do the dew... unhook, and change the SCSI back to V.

I know, like Nihilism, it sounds exhausting.. but it's painless.
;)

Cool trick, Jim ! :thumbsup:

Think I'll give it a try next time I have to reload......

tfrank
09-01-2005, 08:24 AM
We too keep all client info under one folder, then move that folder off to an external firewire drive. When I need to work on something. I just move the folder back to the toaster. All the "pointers find their way home. It's effortless for what we do. With the impending arrival of another toaster, I am constructing an external "storage device", a large roll around case that once housed our old FAST non-linear system. It's a cool case with lots of room, cooling & power. Am planning to put a few TB's worth of the storage in it ( have seen 300 gig Seagates for $150.), then hook both toasters up. As long as both toasters are configured with the same software & drive configs, should be able to pass projects back and forth and have a common place to store specialized animations, graphics, etc. At least that's the idea.

Lebowski
09-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Are you guys all using .RTV fiiles? AVI? .PNG for graphics? Please elaborate on your choices. My projects are usually between 3Gb and 25Gb for commercials. Are you guys coming in about the same?

Jim_C
09-08-2005, 09:50 AM
PNG pretty much 85% of the time for stills. Although sometimes a straight psd file looks better. Especially on the edges.

RTV or AVI depends on the source footage and whether there will be a lot of layers, color correction etc.

If I'm pulling from BetaSP I use RTV exclusively for on-air, if it is a project that is destined for webcast only I use DV (note exception in next sentence).

If puilling from DV, I use avi(type 2 DV), unless I am doing a heavily layered or effected project, then I will use RTV.

--
lotsa sometimes, if's and maybes there. ;)

JReble
09-08-2005, 02:40 PM
I've got four VT systems running and I'm about to implement my own network storage system for sharing and archiving some materials, mostly finished products and program elements. I figure the best route is simply a rackmount computer with eight 250GB SATA drives set up in a redundant raid. Then we'll have a terabyte of mirrored storage that can be accessed over gigabit networking between the machines. We'll be able to play files over the network as needed, but the data will need to be copied to the local machines for editing.

I'm wondering, though, if anyone has any thoughts for a larger amount of storage while staying as cost effective. I think 8 drives will be about the limit on a traditional rackmount server. I've seen these dedicated network attached storage units (NAS) that don't have an actual computer motherboard or OS, only a small box with drives and some minor networking hardware for connection to a network. Something like that might be a simpler and better solution if I can get the storage I'm looking for. Anyone ever use these?

tfrank
09-08-2005, 04:13 PM
We use .RTV almost exclusively...importing from BetaSP which is our house standard. That's one of the reasons that I went with the Toaster...the quality. Even when I bring things in from DVCpro, I make it a .RTV. For the work that we do, it's vital. We are investing in some kind of dockable hard drive system soon. I don't know what file format we'll use yet for that. As for stills, I use .tga-.png-.jpg.....it just depends on various factors.

Lebowski
09-09-2005, 11:45 AM
I've got four VT systems running and I'm about to implement my own network storage system for sharing and archiving some materials, mostly finished products and program elements. I figure the best route is simply a rackmount computer with eight 250GB SATA drives set up in a redundant raid. Then we'll have a terabyte of mirrored storage that can be accessed over gigabit networking between the machines. We'll be able to play files over the network as needed, but the data will need to be copied to the local machines for editing.

I'm wondering, though, if anyone has any thoughts for a larger amount of storage while staying as cost effective. I think 8 drives will be about the limit on a traditional rackmount server. I've seen these dedicated network attached storage units (NAS) that don't have an actual computer motherboard or OS, only a small box with drives and some minor networking hardware for connection to a network. Something like that might be a simpler and better solution if I can get the storage I'm looking for. Anyone ever use these?

Hey man,
If you're running four systems...250Gbs isn't going to hold much unless you're using some kind of proxy system or highly compressed files. I have a half a terrabyte drive on my Toaster and have to remove video at least once a month to keep it from filling up. Save up for a while and splurge on some more storage.
All that really depends on the type of work you do. If you reuse old clips alot or share projects, then it's a good choice;however, if you really don't do that type of thing often, then maybe you don't even need the storage.
Peace,
JC

JReble
09-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks, but I think you missed the point. I am takling about a network attached storage system with eight 250GB drives, not one. With 8 drives I can have 2 terabytes of drive space which equates to 1 terabyte in a mirrored raid.

After looking into available options, it appears that 250GB drives are about as big as we can get currently at a reasonable price point. I don't think I'd want 10 or 12 in a storage server. Eight would appear to be a practical limit. Short of that though, I guess I'd be looking at a SAN or fiber channel array that would get incredibly expensive.

Jim_C
09-09-2005, 05:12 PM
There is Lacies line of products I'm sure you know.

Ive seen the 1TB ethernet for 1grand at nerds.net

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10587

We use quite a few 500gig Lacie big disks on FW800 cards and they have been rock solid and speedy. Shows around 70 with disk test.