PDA

View Full Version : " Are you sure you want to quit ? "

JML
08-31-2005, 09:13 AM
it would be nice to update the " Are you sure you want to quit ? "

when you quit, LW could 'see' if you did any changes in the scene or
the objects, and then would :

- The scene has not been saved, are you sure you want to quit ?
OR
- Some of the objects were not saved, are you sure you want to quit?

and something even better :
- the scene and some of the objects have been modified, do you want to save All ?
if yes, this would save the scene, AND save ONLY the modified objects.

so instead of saving all objects, it would know which one has been modified and would only save those..

Weetos
08-31-2005, 09:17 AM
That would be great ! :agree:

lw3d23
08-31-2005, 09:26 AM
one more, just quit without any warning. This will be useful during plugin-in debugging. Steve Worley also mentioned this "feature" in the interview by 3D World Mag.

Karmacop
08-31-2005, 09:35 AM
I think the problem is that Lightwave doesn't know if it's changed or not.

JML
08-31-2005, 09:56 AM
I think the problem is that Lightwave doesn't know if it's changed or not.

probably,
they could do something for example when you change the surfaces of an object, it tells lightwave 'this one has been changed' and put it in the special list of object to be saved..

it's defently not as simple as changing the text on the quit menu, it would require some work, but I think it might be good..

Captain Obvious
08-31-2005, 10:12 AM
"File "some scene" already exists, do you wish to overwrite it?"

:confused:

Panikos
08-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Lw should keep two flags for Scene and Objects taking values 0 or 1.

If you change the scene, the Scene flag becomes 1 otherwise zero.
If you change a surface the Objects flag becomes 1 otherwise zero.
If you quit, LW checks for these two flags and display the warning.

That was an enlgish pseudo code.
Implement !

:thumbsup:

Surrealist.
08-31-2005, 01:42 PM
What's funny about that message is that it has been exactly the same since, well I think I first saw it in verion 2 so I would say since version 1 to make a guess. The same exact message all though the Amiga days up til now.

I am kind of fond of it, but have wondered why they don't update it.

tonsofpcs
08-31-2005, 01:46 PM
What's funny about that message is that it has been exactly the same since, well I think I first saw it in verion 2 so I would say since version 1 to make a guess. The same exact message all though the Amiga days up til now.
I'll check next time I need to boot the Amiga system.

JML
08-31-2005, 02:48 PM
"File "some scene" already exists, do you wish to overwrite it?"

:confused:

what do you mean?
you don't understand ? english is my second language, and anyway other people understood what I meant.

Captain Obvious
08-31-2005, 03:44 PM
what do you mean?
you don't understand ? english is my second language, and anyway other people understood what I meant.
Whenever I save a scene in Lightwave, it asks me if I want to overwrite the file that already exists, as if I used 'save as' with the same name. Though not that big an issue, it is odd. No other application I've encountered does that.

JML
08-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Whenever I save a scene in Lightwave, it asks me if I want to overwrite the file that already exists, as if I used 'save as' with the same name. Though not that big an issue, it is odd. No other application I've encountered does that.

I understand,
that's true,

as you said, layout ask you 'are you sure?' when you 'save' a scene already created (not save as),
but it works fine with modeller, it doesn't ask you anything when you 'save' an object already created.
weird

Silkrooster
08-31-2005, 06:02 PM
I think the main problem is with the hub, it is kind of dumb. If an object has been updated, the hub could pass that information on to layout. But instead it will create another instance of the object in layout, rather than updating. This happens when pressing the layout button rather than switching apps. This can be confusing to new users.
Silk

Knight Chat X
09-01-2005, 01:28 AM
They'd have to program detection for every change, yeah, could use a simple boolean to determine weither or not a change has been made, I'm not sure this could be easy say for instance if you use a plugin, but it's a good idea.

I'd like to be able to turn off that annoying popup altogether because when I shut the app down I just want it to shut down I don't wanna click more after clicking close.

Surrealist.
09-01-2005, 01:04 PM
I'll check next time I need to boot the Amiga system.

Yes, and if it is, we old Amigans must unite and fight to keep it in LW forever! :D