PDA

View Full Version : A/V SHift: Test Results

StephenW
08-31-2005, 07:27 AM
http://mvtv.org/synch.wmv

Windows Media & Broadband Req.

Hopefully, others will test for synch and post their test results on this thread.

Tarheel Cougar
08-31-2005, 08:58 AM
Nice Video! Two frames isn't bad. But that leaves little room for any other device between the camera and the Tricaster that can introduce a delay (Perhaps even a CCU or long cable runs?). Something to keep in mind. Thanks!

Cineman
08-31-2005, 04:26 PM
http://mvtv.org/synch.wmv
Good stuff Stephen. And thanks for proving a point, almost. I say almost because your findings are off by a frame unless your camera is genlocked to the TriCaster. I atribute that error, if incurred, to the fact that your testing procedures are not precise enough to get it exactly.

Big thing here is asking how much it is worth to you to not have to fix it in post? My price is 10K plus your TriCaster, for mine. (Iím not interested in giving up my TriCaster either.)

Seriously, repeat your test, and send your audio through TriCaster also. Then your playback will be precisely in A/V sync. Well, not precisely, but I defy you to find it. (Iíll know if you did find it if you post it.)

Of course, you could record it on the TriCaster just as well.

Thanks Guy,

Nes Gurley :)

Cineman
08-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Nice Video! Two frames isn't bad. But that leaves little room for any other device between the camera and the Tricaster that can introduce a delay (Perhaps even a CCU or long cable runs?). Something to keep in mind. Thanks!
Yes Jared, any processing of the input signal really needs to be avoided because there is no room for anything with four frames (the practical maximum) at the projection screen. But neither that you mention should be a problem.

I have done 300 plus feet of coax at Trinity Church without losing a single frame.

CCUs indicate genlockable cameras that can gain you a full frame less delay through TriCaster.

Nes

StephenW
08-31-2005, 07:33 PM
Good stuff Stephen. And thanks for proving a point, almost. I say almost because your findings are off by a frame unless your camera is genlocked to the TriCaster. I atribute that error, if incurred, to the fact that your testing procedures are not precise enough to get it exactly.

Big thing here is asking how much it is worth to you to not have to fix it in post? My price is 10K plus your TriCaster, for mine. (Iím not interested in giving up my TriCaster either.)

Seriously, repeat your test, and send your audio through TriCaster also. Then your playback will be precisely in A/V sync. Well, not precisely, but I defy you to find it. (Iíll know if you did find it if you post it.)

Of course, you could record it on the TriCaster just as well.

Thanks Guy,

Nes Gurley :)

I think you are saying that my differential is 3 frames not 2.

You are correct that my test is not scientific enough perhaps to determine 1/29.97th of a second. Actually, I thought it was slightly less by maybe a 10th of a frame but I went with 2 frames anyway.

I can't argue the point much further than this. My results were 2 frames (flawed or not). Lets concentrate on getting more results.

If everyone reports 2 or 3 frames then maybe there is a probem with those certain units that have reported 5 or more frames. Hopefully, some will demonstrate and others will report their results. When there are enough reports Newtek can address the issue.

This is a streamlined new technology that will not be for everyone. I like it for my needs. There certainly are improvements I would like to see made. On the other hand, I think Newtek should protect the stability of the platform first and foremost (I am also a Toaster owner and I personally think it is a piece of junk because it is not stable). I don't know about version 4.5 yet.

This company needs to have a stable product and if it takes longer to get features and bug fixes I would argue it is worth it if they release stable upgrades. I also think they should tell you honestly when you might realistically expect a bug fix or an upgrade.

IMHO.

jcupp
09-01-2005, 09:33 AM
This has been discussed ad nauseum in the VT forums. Both the VT and the TriCaster have a latency (analog in to analog out) of precisly two frames if your cameras are genlocked and between two and three frames if the cameras are not genlocked.

It looks to me like there is an additional frame of delay on the VGA output but I haven't actually performed a scientific test to determine this. If I get a chance I'll check this.

Tarheel Cougar
09-01-2005, 11:10 AM
CCUs indicate genlockable cameras that can gain you a full frame less delay through TriCaster.

Nes
We've gone away from CCU's because of the low cost of digital eng cameras and would have to genlock at the camera end. Not worth the trouble for one frame.

Lee Hopper
09-01-2005, 02:44 PM
I plan to get a Tricaster to use for 3 camera live switch of Marching bands festivals.

We use sony dsr300's and 6 mic running thru a snake to a mackie mixer, should my audio go thru tricaster or directly to audio/video DA thats feeding DVD burners and DVCAM deck.

AUDIO synch is a MUST!!!!!!!!

Lee Hopper
Phoenix Arizona

Tarheel Cougar
09-01-2005, 03:48 PM
I plan to get a Tricaster to use for 3 camera live switch of Marching bands festivals.

We use sony dsr300's and 6 mic running thru a snake to a mackie mixer, should my audio go thru tricaster or directly to audio/video DA thats feeding DVD burners and DVCAM deck.

AUDIO synch is a MUST!!!!!!!!

Lee Hopper
Phoenix Arizona
Lee-- sounds like our setup, we use DSR300's also with a mackie. From what I've seen, unless you can tolerate a 3 frame delay the audio needs to be run through the Tricaster. I don't particularly like doing that in every situation myself but at least that way you know it will be in sync.

Cineman
09-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Yes Lee,

Bring it out of the Mackie through the TriCaster and it will be in sync with the video out of the TriCaster.