PDA

View Full Version : Stairwell

otacon
08-30-2005, 08:05 PM
This is a little scene i did over the weekend. Ended up waiting longer than i planned for the render to finish. 62 hours with maxwell, and i still had to take out some noise!! O well, at least i didnt have a deadline.:)

Tiger
08-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Xlnt-just like a photo!

My only small critic would be the light.
No light is ever purely white.
A rgb around 240, 240 ,220 and the scene
will have a more natural look.

Anyhow-Great render as usual!

Surrealist.
08-30-2005, 10:58 PM
As to the light I'll take a small exception to that notion. I am not going to say that it is not a good idea to have clolors in light. This goes for any situation be in cinematography, photogrpahy, 3D you name it.

In the real world with an instrument to measure, of course "no light is pure white" .

But in the real world of capturing light with capture devices such as cameras both film and digital, it hapens all thre time. That's just a reality of the limitations of photography in so far as latitude is concerned.

So, a photoreal 3D image that blows out to "pure white" is far more ralistic than one that stays safe within the bounds of having a color.

I am only pointing this out because I hear about it all the time, I read about it and have learned it this way but it just struck me that from my experience as a cinematographer/photographer this is a real strange thing to hold as an absolute. I am only saying it should never be an absolute.

There are many times where you may want this effect and have to go beyond the bounds of convention to get it. It is something that should be embraced as part of the artistic palette.

Love the image and all of it's whitness too.

Captain Obvious
08-31-2005, 12:51 AM
Nice image, but why would you be going *up* a stairwell to get to the emergency exit?

Surrealist.
08-31-2005, 02:27 AM
Nice image, but why would you be going *up* a stairwell to get to the emergency exit?

Because it's not for the people going up the stairwell, it's for the people going down from the other direction or who are already on that level and can exit out via that door which also happens to have a stairwell on the outside of the building, rather than go down a stairwell that is inside the building and not necessarily even leading out by as fast of a route to get out of the bulding which is the purpose of an emergency exit. :D

Captain Obvious
08-31-2005, 02:43 AM
A flaw with that logic: emergency exits do not have the opening mechanism on the outside. ;)

ravantra
08-31-2005, 07:52 AM
Maybe it for those exiting from that "pure white" sunlit subterranean basement...... :question: Nice rendering!!!

otacon
08-31-2005, 09:35 AM
Maybe i put the exit sign there to give you guys something to argue about. :D
I have the scene rendering in fprime for a comparison. There were some things with this render that could be better, like the exit sign surface, and the door frame surface, but after a whole day of rendering you dont feel like restarting it just for that stuff. Surfacing is a problem for maxwell right now, its difficult to setup surfaces with the right amount of reflection and reflection blurring. In the preview window it looks right, but as it refines it starts to look different.

Schwing
08-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Maybe i put the exit sign there to give you guys something to argue about. :D

Nice image. I would have liked to see some of the bright spots blown out a little more. :)

And replace the light in that sign. You're in OSHA violation. :D

Intuition
08-31-2005, 12:15 PM
I am hoping LW9 can get similar results to maxwell when it comes out.

Kray and Maxwell make such nice images its hard for me to use LW native. F-Prime GI is as close as I get to staying away from Maxwell and Kray.

I've put Maxwell down for a while since the OCT release is still far off.

Nice image though. I always like seeing your stuff.

Surrealist.
08-31-2005, 12:56 PM
A flaw with that logic: emergency exits do not have the opening mechanism on the outside. ;)

That isn't the outide. That's the inside which is why the door is an exit.

Maybe it for those exiting from that "pure white" sunlit subterranean basement

As I said there could be a stairwell on the outside. Not to mention the fact that the building could be on a hill. SF? There could be a couryard that is raised ojn said hill with stairways out the outside. Any number of possiblities. Not to mention the fact that a stairway lined with glass is hardly a safe emergency exit which would explain the door the the first place

I could go on...

Wheatever, anyway great image. I like it.

otacon
08-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Intuition, from the early fprime tests of this scene it looks very similar. When i get home i will post the results.

richdj
08-31-2005, 04:29 PM
OK...

Again I have to say EXCELLENT WORK.... and again, when are you going to do some tutorials... I know your busy, but your community needs you....

Rich

Imatk
08-31-2005, 04:39 PM
Great work man :)

62 hours... yikes!

otacon
08-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Ok, here is the fprime version. Rendered at the same resolution, and then resized just like the maxwell one. This rendered in only 5 hours.

Tiger
08-31-2005, 07:02 PM
Holy Worley! That`s 57hrs less than maxwell...and it`s even better quality.
Dare to try F9? :D

Captain Obvious
09-01-2005, 04:24 AM
How many indirect bounces in the Fprime one?

Awesome, I'm definitely putting Fprime above Maxwell on the "plugins to get" list. ;)

otacon
09-01-2005, 06:58 AM
Theres 3 bounces, with 20% ambient lighting.

ravantra
09-01-2005, 07:11 AM
That isn't the outide. That's the inside which is why the door is an exit.

As I said there could be a stairwell on the outside. Not to mention the fact that the building could be on a hill. SF? There could be a couryard that is raised ojn said hill with stairways out the outside. Any number of possiblities. Not to mention the fact that a stairway lined with glass is hardly a safe emergency exit which would explain the door the the first place

I could go on...

Wheatever, anyway great image. I like it.

I was joking.....deep breaths..... :D

nthused
09-01-2005, 07:56 AM
Ok Jason, you're now at the "scary" talent level....wonderful work. Absolutely wonderful.

ravantra
09-01-2005, 09:14 AM
The fprime seems to show more detail....great image quality.

Tiger
09-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Was the Lighting Quality 0.500 or higher?

otacon
09-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks. Lighting quality was at default .5

Surrealist.
09-01-2005, 04:34 PM
I was joking.....deep breaths..... :D

No worries here mate - all in good fun.

Otacon:

I checked out your site again - you are an amazing artist!

Diggin your stuff. :lwicon:

JadaFecT
09-01-2005, 06:47 PM
indeed, awesome stuff!

shaol
09-02-2005, 05:51 AM
I like the first render better softer overall render. nice work.

richdj
09-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Jason, could you please post a screen grab of the perspecitive view so we can see your light set-up...

Cheers

Rich

otacon
09-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Theres not much to see with the light setup. I have an area light as the sun, and a point light thats giving off about 8% light between the pillars on the left. Monte carlo radiosity 3 bounces, 25% ambient light.

richdj
09-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Cheers Jason...

silverlw
09-05-2005, 05:17 AM
Really nice work Otacon both versions, but i actually prefer the fprime one since it is more colourful. Maybe it's not as realistic as the maxwell one. Could i please pretty please have an Kray version also? Or mail me the data so i could render it.
[email protected]

david_B
09-05-2005, 11:50 PM
The fprime render seems more 'clean', the air has less 'atmosphere' than the maxwell render. But comparing 5 hours to 60+... I'm sure the 'atmosphere could be added in post.

And theoretically every door is an exit, as long as it leads to somewhere else.

I think budda might have said that. Or George Lucas.

ruud
09-09-2005, 05:31 AM
radiosity is nice, but it never gets you to realism... now, THAT is a chalange!!

Nice image!

ruut