PDA

View Full Version : Save selected objects (in Layout) as a single object ::

mats4d_
08-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Hello,
Ive been searching the forums and looking for plugins, but no luck, im looking for a way to save an X amount of selected objects in layout into a single object file.

Any ideas?? I read someone looking for the same over here, but got no answer, maybe it cant be done?

thanks !

hrgiger
08-30-2005, 11:56 AM
I've never heard of a way to do it from Layout. I would think you would have to send all the objects to modeler, delete the ones you don't want in the model file and then save it under a new name.

Surrealist.
08-30-2005, 12:39 PM
I was wonderng you needed to save transformed or have each object in a separate layer in that object file or not. Also wondering if you had tried other workarwounds already and are for some reason working with this alot or having lots of objects to do this with, making the obvous workaround as above more tedious.

hrgiger, here're a FAQ for you:

Q:

What is the best way to post to the forum to get the answer I am looking for?

A:

1) Include as much information as you can.

2) if you are asking aquestion to which you already know there are obvious workarounds for and have a reason why those are not appropriate for your situation, please say so. You can't assume everyone will assume you know, that's why this is a forum, people ask qustions all the time that the answer for most of us is obvious. You will save yourself and others time.

3) If you don't know of any workarounds, you dan't have to say anything, you'll find out soon enough.

OK, mats4d, sorry to hijack your thread for that but since you did not say you knew the obvious workaround, now you have to read this and respond saying with a sigh, I know that already! :D

That is, assuming you do. :)

The workaround is simple,

Select all the objects you want to save and F12 to enter modeler. In modeler, the object that is was in the dropdown list in Layout will the the one that shows up in modeler's dropdown as active. But if you scroll down the object list you will find the rest of the Layout-selected objects ghosted with thier path names. Just go through and click each one and they will show up as active.

Press F7 to bring up the layers panel. Expand all of the objects. Shift Click under the F (forground) column to select all layers of all objects you want to save as one object.

Select Save Layers as object, Done.

Now I thought that there was a way to copy multiple layers into multiple layers which would alow you to save thse as separate layers if you need that but, I can't remember how.

Dodgy
08-30-2005, 01:42 PM
I wrote a plugin called BoneIt which took a saved scene and loaded all the objects from that scene into one object and boned and weightmapped those objects, would that be any use to you?

MonroePoteet
08-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Refering to the question posed by mats4d_ in this thread:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=38474

I'm thinking maybe "Load From Scene" is a potential solution. If you save your fully-configured scene as a different "Props_Only" scene, then remove all the objects you don't want from the Props_Only scene and save it again, in the future you can use Load From Scene to load all the objects from "Props_Only". You could even do a higher granularity if desired, with separate scenes for "Trees_Only", "Cars_Only", etc.

mTp