PDA

View Full Version : Batch Capture Assistant... what do you think?

dhomas
08-30-2005, 11:37 AM
I've created a sort of Batch Capture assistant which really speeds up the process of transferring clips into VT. Here's the process I came up with for the movie project I'm working on now...

While shooting, the '1st AD' enters the Start timecode of every scene, along with the Scene #, Shot #, and Take # into this tool. At the end of the shoot, this tool outputs a file for importing into VT's Batch Capture (BC). A much easier process than manually entering all this into BC. Acckkk!

The result is every take is automatically captured as it's own clip, with a name that reflects what it is... for example:

H:\Conversations\05-2_1A_01.avi

Which is... Scene 5-2, Shot 1A, Take 1

There's a lot more to the tool than this, but that's the general idea. The benefit of it being a tool that runs outside of VT, is that you don't have to have a VT on set. You could even be using it on a Windows CE PDA.

I also use this tool to make it easier for clients to provide me with timecodes of clips they want to use from a timecoded VHS tape I give them.

I created this initially as an Excel plugin, as most of my clients use Excel too. But, considering making it into a standalone Windows Application.

The questions are these:

1. Does anyone else need a tool like this?
2. What form would you want it to be: (a) Excel spreadsheet plugin (b)standalone Windows based application.

radams
08-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Hi dhomas,

This sounds nice...I would suggest keeping it an excel plugin thou. as you stated then even a PDA could run it then...heck even a smart phone.

Cheers,

UnCommonGrafx
08-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Wow, more talk about using my pda with my vt! I love this kinda conversation.

Dhomas, I'd be interested in seeing anything you might have to offer. You've been silent and I wonder what other kinds of cool things we'll be seeing for our beloved VT.

Excel as even my palm can read and process them. I have a project this might work on, too...

lesterfoster
08-31-2005, 12:36 AM
This sounds fascinating, but I don't quite understand what you are talking about. Is there any chance that you can post a screen shot of what you are talking about? And how it works with the toaster?

nevmoor
08-31-2005, 08:46 AM
why not have both?? It seems like you already have the Excel running, so if this is about the time to convert you might not need to bother. Either way will be helpful but what would be the stand alone advantage???

tonsofpcs
08-31-2005, 10:56 AM
This sounds nice...I would suggest keeping it an excel plugin thou. as you stated then even a PDA could run it then...heck even a smart phone.Heck, even my graphing calculator has a spreadsheet app that can export to an Excel workbook or csv. I would suggest having the app take CSV input, and give instructions on the format as well as having it work as an Excel plugin.

dhomas
08-31-2005, 11:41 PM
The speed of this tool is what goes on behind the scenes... not the entering of data (although that's really fast too, since you don't have to type colons and such). The benefit is in making use of entered data to generate a batch capture EDL that has everything named/organized to make it easy to work with the clips.

The advantage of it being a standalone tool, is that you don't have to have Excel.

The tool isn't intended to be for converting amongst various formats of EDLs. You can already import CSV into VT's Batch Capture (okay well it doesn't work, but the intention is there) still. So, this tool won't do that kind of thing.

Anyone care to lend me a Windows CE PDA?

dhomas
08-31-2005, 11:45 PM
Excel seems to be winning out so far.

dhomas
09-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Here's an updated screenshot as it nears readiness for release. Most of the entry of Scene/Shot/Take/Out are automated. It's pretty smart. The Clip Names are also automatically generated either as Scene_Shot_Take (as shown here) or Tape_In (03_00045.avi) if Scene/Shot/Take info is not used.

dhomas
09-12-2005, 06:40 PM
This has been released as EDL Assistant (Excel)... follow link below to our website for details...