PDA

View Full Version : WinDV (DV Utility Program)

ScorpioProd
08-29-2005, 04:22 PM
I just wanted to bring this up, in case there is anyone out there using any DV utility program other than WinDV, you shouldn't be.

WinDV is better than any DV utility I've ever seen.

You can find it here:

http://windv.mourek.cz/

And it's FREEWARE, and under 100KB.

It has a ton of great features.

Things like if you use it to print to tape, it can automatically append a head and tail AVI before and after your main AVI. This is very useful if you design your VT-Edit projects like I do, for DVD, and therefore don't have things like lots of black and color bars on them that you would want when you go to tape.

For capturing, it has a scene analyzer built in, based on the time/date stamp on every frame of DV video. There's no better way to capture DV and have it split up scene by scene into separate clips than this.

Also, this program has the advantage of capturing to Type-2 DV without any of the A/V sync problems some of us have with VT based capture of Type-2 DV via firewire. :thumbsup:

Scott Bates
08-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks Eugene.

tonsofpcs
08-30-2005, 10:50 AM
WinDV seems to be an end-user made application that calls the same APIs in the same ways that most other small capture utilities (such as amcap) do... Also, Thugs At Bay's ZweiStein's DV capture utility has a nice interface (although parts of it are in German, they are easy to figure out).

ScorpioProd
08-30-2005, 11:42 AM
All I know is that in my experience, WinDV always works reliably, while DVapp, DVcap, and DVIO do NOT.

Also, none of the other programs I mention do the scene detection function.

eon5
08-30-2005, 02:13 PM
TY ! :thumbsup:

dmk75
09-01-2005, 10:28 AM
I tried it and I liked it. But how do you make audio to come out using SX-8? I dont have sound when capture from or recording to a DV tape.

Thanks

ScorpioProd
09-01-2005, 12:58 PM
WinDV is a bidirectional firewire transfer utility. Audio coming out is not something it does, it's really not something needed for the functions it's intended for.