PDA

View Full Version : VT4.5 - Is it stable?

edmellnik
08-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Well now that I have a better copy of 4.0 and have changed my video
driver to 66.93 I have a stable 4.0 as far as I can tell so far.

I dont see a need for 4.5...cant figure out what I would miss???

I see many listings here about 4.5 bugs. Are there a lot of machines
stable with 4.5? or should I wait for the dust to settle?

Ed

John Perkins
08-29-2005, 11:23 AM
The main thing you might like is that the CG is usable even from the timeline.

Everything I've done on the last few VT4.5's I've built seems stable. I haven't done any long projects yet, but for NTSC work it seems much better than 4.0 sp1.

Ivan
08-29-2005, 11:26 AM
CG bugs have been fixed and the new NT25 codec is great. iVGA is a nice addition as well. I was in the middle of a project when I upgraded to 4.5 and though I would not tell anyone to do what I did, I have had no problems. I think the refresh in the timeline has improved and it seems more responsive than previous versions. If your not in the middle of a project, go for it, you will do it sooner or later anyway. Be sure to get the Bob Tasa upgrade for any plugins you may have.

Ivan

Jim Capillo
08-29-2005, 12:00 PM
I also upgraded in the middle of a project and have had no problems. Seems very stable..... :thumbsup:

mnbear
08-29-2005, 01:06 PM
I have been using it since day 1 and its only crashed when I was loading in specialized codecs (like the aspect HD intermediary one), other than that, ROCK solid, not ONE driver error. WOOHOO!! Looks like a winner, folks!

ssdcinc
08-29-2005, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=VT Owner]The main thing you might like is that the CG is usable even from the timeline.

When you say usable from the timeline, what exactly are you
refering to ?

ScorpioProd
08-29-2005, 02:55 PM
He means the "CG Post" function where you can grab a still, scroll or crawl effect crouton from the effects folder and create a CG right in the timeline. Including stuff like animating a text reveal and animatable line positions and such. This has been in there since VT[4], just not really usable till now, because of stability.

VT[4] 4.5 is the most stable build of the VT I've ever had the pleasure of working with. I can't say there's absolutely no bugs in it, but they are minor compared to the stability issues of the past. I also upgraded during a project and didn't regret it. :thumbsup:

chribba
08-29-2005, 02:56 PM
deleted :)

edmellnik
08-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks all for the replys. Sounds like 4.5 is a winner.
ed