PDA

View Full Version : Morph animations don't save to file?

Knight Chat X
08-28-2005, 10:18 AM
I created some morphs in modeler and am able to animate using the morphs in layout, the problem is the animations using morphs only show the base object's first look throughout the entire animation if imported into a 3rd party app that would normally display animation stored in these files.

In other words these animations are only visible in Lightwave Layout, and if I import scene or import animated object into another program, onlything that shows is the base object and no morphs! :bangwall:

toby
08-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Not everything is transferrable between programs, and this example is what MDD is for!

If there is an MDD plugin for this other application you are using, export the MDD file from Lightwave and bring it in. This is the point location data for every vertex in an object for every frame, all in one file, so it's like an object sequence with every deformation baked in.

Knight Chat X
08-29-2005, 01:28 AM
Ok maybe this will make more sense.

In Modeler I create endomorphs and assign them to a Base file, I import this into Layout, in Layout I assign these morphs to sliders so I can use them for animation in the scene.

Better example:
The base mesh is where charactor is posed just standing/layer 1, then in layer 2 I make 1 endomorph of a charactor punching, I apply this new endomorph to the base/layer 1.

I save as Charactor_Base.lwo.

I load the Charactor_Base.lwo into Layout, assign the Endomorph to a slider, then slide charactor punch slider all the way to right and I set keyframes for animation to go from 0 to 60/default to show charactor punching.

Then I Save the scene.

Now, when I play back and render the scene, it shows as it should, but if I try and save the animation to an X File, or load the LWS file into a program such as PolyTrans, the animation runs for the full 60 frames, but there is no actual animation showing, the onlything that shows is the default Charactor_Base standing pose, so from frames 0 to 60 all I see is the charactor standing up and not punching.

I also noticed this happens while using the MotionMixer as well with just a simple rigged bone animation.

The reason this becomes a problem is because I need to find some way of getting these animations exported to .x file so I can import them into game engine, now if I manually use keyframed animation, say for instance I rig a charactor and manually adjust charactor without the use of MotionMixer or anything else to make animation easier, and create keyframes say at 0 and 60, the animations export just fine. The other thing that doesn't work is just loading or using morph targets to save just a single frame, the result is that it still only saves the base mesh, no morphs.

Is there an easier way to get game charactor animations exported so they can be used in the game and still be able to use the MorphMixer or some easier animation method?

Mylenium
08-29-2005, 03:53 AM
Ok maybe this will make more sense.

In Modeler I create endomorphs and assign them to a Base file, I import this into Layout, in Layout I assign these morphs to sliders so I can use them for animation in the scene.

Better example:
The base mesh is where charactor is posed just standing/layer 1, then in layer 2 I make 1 endomorph of a charactor punching, I apply this new endomorph to the base/layer 1.

I save as Charactor_Base.lwo.

I load the Charactor_Base.lwo into Layout, assign the Endomorph to a slider, then slide charactor punch slider all the way to right and I set keyframes for animation to go from 0 to 60/default to show charactor punching.

Then I Save the scene.

Now, when I play back and render the scene, it shows as it should, but if I try and save the animation to an X File, or load the LWS file into a program such as PolyTrans, the animation runs for the full 60 frames, but there is no actual animation showing, the onlything that shows is the default Charactor_Base standing pose, so from frames 0 to 60 all I see is the charactor standing up and not punching.

I also noticed this happens while using the MotionMixer as well with just a simple rigged bone animation.

The reason this becomes a problem is because I need to find some way of getting these animations exported to .x file so I can import them into game engine, now if I manually use keyframed animation, say for instance I rig a charactor and manually adjust charactor without the use of MotionMixer or anything else to make animation easier, and create keyframes say at 0 and 60, the animations export just fine. The other thing that doesn't work is just loading or using morph targets to save just a single frame, the result is that it still only saves the base mesh, no morphs.

Is there an easier way to get game charactor animations exported so they can be used in the game and still be able to use the MorphMixer or some easier animation method?

Endomorphs are quite specific to LW, I think even in FBX they don't work properly (though Motionbuilder has something similar). Dunno how you are exporting your mesh, but you need to sommehow "collect" your vertex info using a displacement plugin or so... I thing DStorm's X exporter does that.

Mylenium

Knight Chat X
08-29-2005, 05:37 AM
I tried exporting with DStorms plugin saving as animation and export the vertex information and load model into mesh viewer and same result.

I then tried loading the entire Lightwave Scene into PolyTrans, and same result again.