PDA

View Full Version : LW on Pentium M?

WizCraker
08-28-2005, 01:07 AM
Has anybody successfully ran Lightwave on a laptop with a Pentium M chip? I'm getting a convertable Tablet [the new Lenovo Thinkpad X41 to be exact] the Video card is the intel media accelator 900 [part of the 915 chipset] which has up to 128 MB shared memory, 1 GB Ram, 1.5 Ghz proc, and of course Win Tablet Edition 2005 which strangly enough happens to be XP Pro SP2 but with features for the tablet.

I'm guessing it will work since LW is not really a power hungry application. I'm not going to be doing any rendering on it just modeling, using Painter, and Coding.

The only thing I have to do is trade in my dongle for a USB version. Kind of makes me sad to part from it, I've had the parallel port one now for 10 years [well almost december will be the 10 year mark]

StereoMike
08-28-2005, 01:18 AM
A friend of mine has an Acer Travelmate (1.5Ghz), and LW runs very good.
But he has an ATI radeon 9000 built in, and the tablet PC has an integrated solution, so I think that maybe the bottleneck.
Have you see the Toshiba Tecra m4? It has an Nvidia 6200go built in, but it costs some bucks...

Please post your experiences with your tablet pc, I'm interested, how it performs with painter and the like.
Thanks,
Mike

WizCraker
08-28-2005, 02:10 AM
Yeah I have seen the M4, or should I say built one on their site. I built a fully loaded on minus the ram [too pricey from them] had the 128 Geforce FX 6600, and all the other goodies. It starts out at 6.6 pounds, that is like carrying around a few bricks. Though the price came out to $2500 and some change that was before the tax and shipping price. Think it would cost $2798 when that is added.

I'm not too woried actually about the video card really there is someone that has a Motion Computing tablet and they say they can run Solidworks on it and it is using the same chipset from intel. The only thing I think is key is to make sure that there is plenty of system ram since it is shared memory up to 128 MB [user defined of course].

I think I'm going to go with the ThinkPad X41 as my Uncle works for IBM and gets a discount so I can actually get it with 3 years onsite support and fully loaded for about $2100. Which of course is more reasonable.

-- Too much info follows :: and reason why i'm getting the Tablet --

I'm going back to college for my CS degree this time around and the university I go to does not require a computer nor do they make it easy to purchase the allowed computer [according to the Dept. of Education 1 computer every 3 years can be bought with Financial aid or student loan $2000 or less]. The downside to my school is if you try to take out a student loan with lets say $2000 over the tuition cost, even though you get approved by the bank for the total amount the school will only approve the amount of the max tuition [including Room & board, plus full meal plan], they do that so they can keep the tuition cheap and show Princton Review they have best bargain for students. Anyways I'm using the loop hole of the max meal plan to pay for the computer. And since it is a loan anyways I'm still paying for it just after I graduate.

-- End too much info --

T-Light
08-28-2005, 03:33 AM
I have a Centrino (Pentium M) 1.6Ghz laptop, it's a great machine, easily fast enough to run LW.

One thing though, I'd take a look at the capabilities (Direct X, OpenGL) of that integrated card, LW 8.5+ etc will need more power than the current incarnations. The card in mine is a 64MB ATI 9200 Pro, Great card but only DX8 (heaven only knows which version of hardware OGL), I'm waiting on 8.5 to see just how much of the new stuff will actually run.

WizCraker
08-28-2005, 04:10 AM
The third-generation (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel915gm/) chipset supports the latest LCD and widescreen displays, High-Definition TV (HDTV) and dynamic modes, and hardware acceleration for Microsoft* DirectX 9.

Game Compatibility List (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel915gm/sb/CS-020153.htm)

Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family support hardware acceleration of OpenGL applications in 16-bit and 32-bit color depths. OpenGL 1.4 plus extensions is the latest version currently supported by the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Drivers.

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (Intel® GMA 900 graphics) can deliver over 1.5 times faster performance than previous Intel graphics.¹ It also features acceleration for Microsoft DirectX 9 for 3D performance.

Third-generation Graphics Core

256-bit graphics core
8/16/32 bpp
Up to 8.5 GB/sec memory bandwidth with DDR2 533 MHz
1.3 GP/sec and 1.3 GT/sec fill rate
128 MB maximum video memory
2048x1536 at 85 Hz maximum resolution
Dynamic Display Modes for flat-panel and wide-screen support
Operating systems supported: Microsoft Windows* XP, Windows 2000, Linux-compatible (Xfree86 source available)

High-performance 3D

Up to 4 pixels per clock rendering
Microsoft* DirectX* 9 Hardware Acceleration Features:
Up to 4 pixels per clock rendering
Pixel Shader 2.0
Volumetric Textures
Shadow Maps
Slope Scale Depth Bias
Two-Sided Stencil
Microsoft* DirectX* 9 Vertex Shader 2.0 and Transform and Lighting supported in software through highly optimized Processor Specific Geometry Pipeline (PSGP)
DirectX Texture Decompression
OpenGL* 1.4 support

Advanced Display Technology

400 MHz DAC frequency for up to 2048x1526 resolution for both analog and digital displays
Two Serial Digital Video Out (SDVO) ports for flat-panel monitors and/or TV-out support via Advanced Digital Display 2 (ADD2) cards
Multiple display types (LVDS, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDTV, TV-out, CRT) for dual monitor capabilities
HDTV 720p and 1080i display resolution support
16x9 Aspect Ratio for widescreen displays

High Quality Media Support

Up and Down Scaling of Video Content
High Definition Content Decode
5x3 Overlay Filtering
Hardware Motion Compensation support for DVD playback

T-Light
08-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Sounds Dandy :)

If your Uncle works for IBM, would it be possible for him to loan a test machine overnight to Install LW (pref wait for 8.5) just to see for yourself?

WizCraker
08-28-2005, 05:50 AM
He lives on the other side of the country. I'm not exactly buying this just for Lightwave. It would just be a perk if it worked. :)

Riplakish
08-28-2005, 07:22 AM
Sounds Dandy :)

If your Uncle works for IBM, would it be possible for him to loan a test machine overnight to Install LW (pref wait for 8.5) just to see for yourself?

I have a T42 from IBM that runs Lightwave fine. Modeler and Layout performance is fine, although render times are what you'd expect from a Pentium-M thats worried about using too much power. It crawls compared to my HP AMD64 3400+ laptop
(although the battery lasts a lot longer.... IBM = cross country flights, HP = all performance related work).

Steve McRae
08-28-2005, 03:53 PM
I have a dell with a Pentium M and it works great w LW!

NanoGator
08-29-2005, 11:07 AM
I've done a little modelling on my Toshiba M-200 (Centrino 1.7ghz, TabletPC...) seems aiight. Not fond of the keyboard, but since that's not the brand of TPC you've got I'm not sure that matters.

I can tell you that turning on the 3d anti-aliasing with the card that came with that machine was a big no-no. It slowed everything down to the point of uselessness. But that was a low-end NVidia card so.. meh.

Sorry, my post was less than helpful. However, I do think you'll like having a TPC and I think modelling will be just fine on it. I seriously doubt you'll be using the stylus with Modeler, though.

:)

NanoGator
08-29-2005, 11:17 AM
[Edit] Oopsie, sorry about the double post!

w_will
08-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Yep it works like a champ. Running a Dell D800 with a 1.6 and it even runs Vue & Modo OK.

WizCraker
08-30-2005, 02:43 AM
I've decided against the x41 TPC, apparently it is a hot item and the delay is way to long to get it. Somewhere in the multi-month wait. I've flawed my purchasing by reading too many reviews. I don't know now if I should get the Toshiba Tecra M4, or skip the TPC and just stay with a normal laptop.

I'm kicking myself on a Refurb M200 TPC that I glazed over a couple of days ago. It was fully loaded and only $950.

Even though I hate to say it but I might have to end up buying a Dell :( [not too fond of Dells anymore] however they do have the best prices from everyone else and I'm trying to make my available funds stretch as far as I can.

I think I'm going to wait a few days and think it over, I don't want to jump in and then later regret it. Also with Labor day around the corner maybe there will be some discounts that pop up.

WizCraker
08-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Just to keep everybody informed, :) I did not end up getting a laptop. I figured if this is going to last me through 2009 and maybe grad school I might as well just buy a new desktop system. Mainly what sold me was a promotion on Dells website. I had to stretch my money as far as possible and get the best bang for the buck. Looks like I'll be switching out the Dongle from parrell to USB as I don't see it on the system I customized. The monitor is what sold me I just could not pass that one up. However I'm guessing I actually got the computer minus upgrades for free and actually bought the monitor as it sells for $1019.

The video card is ATI and it is an X600 but I was on a limited budget, I know the x800 works great so hopefully this one will also.

What Follows is the System and Configuration I bought for $2000:

Computer

Dell 9100 Computer (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_9100?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn&~tab=viewstab#tabtop)
Pentium® 4 Processor 630 with HT Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs
256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory
80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
9 in 1 Media Card Reader and 3.5 in Floppy Drive
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
Dual Drives: 16x DVD+/-RW Drive + 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD™ Audio
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

http://www.imagereality.com/Images/DellComputer/9100_chassis_front_314.jpg

Printer

Printer Multifunction 1600n Laser (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/print_1600n?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs#tabtop)

http://www.imagereality.com/Images/DellComputer/1600n_front_314.jpg

Monitor

Free 24 inch Ultra Sharp Widescreen Digital Flat Panel (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?TabPage=productview&sku=320-4221&category_id=4058&brandid=56&c=us&l=en&cs=19)

http://www.imagereality.com/Images/DellComputer/24InchMonitor.jpg

MiniFireDragon
08-30-2005, 03:57 PM
As far as I know the difference between the P4 and an M processor is (wll the beg difference besides the core size and stuff) the fact that as power is drained from the battery, the processor drops in speed to save life.

Oh, and what is you address again?? And what time does UPS usually show up?