PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave FAQ's page (suggestions please)

hrgiger
08-27-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm learning dreamweaver right now and so I'm redesigning my website. One of the pages I've got in mind is a Lightwave FAQ's page which I've discussed with a few people before. I would love to hear some of the questions that you commonly see come up on the forums that beginners and seasoned people alike ask. Also, if you know the answer, you may want to give that too as there's a good chance that I may not know so it would be sort of useless to put online in that case.

Some example questions that I see quite a bit:

Why does my object seem to disappear in Layout when the camera gets closer to it?
How do I get rid of surfaces on my object?
I tried using a boolean on my subpatch model and now it's all messed up!

Stuff like that but hopefully not just RTFM kind of questions but maybe more advanced questions as well.

I plan on placing them in categories such as modeling, rigging, dynamics, lighting, rendering, etc.... and placing page anchors so you can jump right from the question down to the answer and perhaps right back to where you jumped from.

Lightwolf
08-27-2005, 10:51 AM
You wanna do that manually? You're nuts ;)

My favourite:
Q: How do I remove a texture/envelope.
A: shift-click on the [T] or [E] button.

Cheers,
Mike

hrgiger
08-27-2005, 10:59 AM
You wanna do that manually? You're nuts ;)

Well yeah, I figure it will be a gradual process, but I at least wanted to get 40-50 Faq's before I post it.

Oh, and that is a really good FAQ. That one does come up a LOT.

BazC
08-27-2005, 11:38 AM
What about

Q Why won't my camera stay where I put it?
A Add a key frame/turn on AutoKey

MonroePoteet
08-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Q: "Why do I have a checkerboard on my renderings?"
A: "You're running in Discovery mode, and either have dongle problems or haven't installed a real license."

IMO, this particular question comes up so often that it deserves a sticky topic in General Support providing methodologies for resolving dongle problems, installing the license key, etc.

mTp

digital verve
08-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Q: Why won't the graph editor update to the different object/item I have just selected?
A: You need to press <shift>g in the graph editor to update.

WizCraker
08-28-2005, 02:34 AM
Well yeah, I figure it will be a gradual process, but I at least wanted to get 40-50 Faq's before I post it.

Are you doing your page by php, asp or html? If either the first two, since they are database driven you could program a form to enter the question then answer and when you hit add it adds it to the table for the LW FAQ. Easier in the long run than editing the HTML file over and over.

hrgiger
08-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Are you doing your page by php, asp or html? If either the first two, since they are database driven you could program a form to enter the question then answer and when you hit add it adds it to the table for the LW FAQ. Easier in the long run than editing the HTML file over and over.

Well, I'm not up on asp or php so it's pretty much html but it's in the dreamweaver interface so I don't have to deal with the code and all my anchors stay in place as I add questions/answers.

starbase1
08-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Why don't my hypervoxels show up behind something transparnt?
Give the transpaent surface a slight refractive index...

Also how to add air polygons to make refractiobn work correctly...

Nick

hrgiger
08-28-2005, 03:21 PM
The website is up and the FAQ's page is there. It's all a work in progress so don't be too harsh on me yet. As far as the FAQ's page go, right now there are just enough questions for some modeler/layout questions. As the number of questions grow, I'm going to further break it up into things like UV's, modeling, keyframing, texture mapping, etc.....

Also, I miss seeing the wireframe depot (is it still around?). I'd like to add a public wireframe gallery to my site so if you have any impressive wireframes you'd like to showcase, send them my way and I'll post them.

There are also 20 free textures there which were on my old site. My new girlfriend has a *****in camera so I plan on adding more in the future.

Still have to put a space for my personal stuff as well. Keep the feedback coming.

Here's the link: http://darkrhino.jase.ca/

Oh, and starbase, I've been trying to check all the questions and answers for accuracy and it seems on the refractive/hypervoxel things goes, you don't need to have a refraction value at all. Just enabling either raytrace transparency or raytrace refraction does the trick. Having a refraction value without the raytracing options set does not seem to work.

WizCraker
08-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Even though the lime green is on black it is a little bright. Almost like looking at yellow on white. Also the buttons on the main page, I can only get to them by scrolling. I'm using 1280 x 1024 rez

toby
08-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Always thought we needed this.

I have a page with answers for people who ask "what codec should I render to, Cinepac or Sorenson?" or "my test renders look good, but my animations look smudgy"
http://www.tobygaines.com/render_to_frames.html

Feel free to copy any of it.

And please add
RTFM. :twak:
to the website ( not just an honorable mention ) - it's stupid to try and learn Lightwave without doing so.

Other common questions :
Q. "are there any tutorials...?"
A. google -> lightwave tutorials

Q. Where do I find HDRs?
A. google -> hdr images

Verlon
08-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Q. How can I become a bad-***** modeler (animator, 3d-guru, whatever)?
A. Quit surfing the net and go practice

MonroePoteet
08-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Verlon: ha ha ha! How true!

mTp

hrgiger
08-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Even though the lime green is on black it is a little bright. Almost like looking at yellow on white. Also the buttons on the main page, I can only get to them by scrolling. I'm using 1280 x 1024 rez

Doh! Sorry about that Wiz. I run at 1600 X 1200 and I forgot how huge that was in your rez. I fixed that so check it again, you should not have to scroll now to find the nav buttons. I also changed the color of the text so you can see if it's a bit easier to read.

Mebek
08-29-2005, 09:47 AM
You have a question and answer aboud grid square size, and the answer states to open the display panel and adjust in there. A keyboard shortcut for doing the same thing is hitting the bracket keys. [ will decrease the grid size and ] will increase.

(grammar police - ignore if you want)
After Effects should be capitalized, as should the term PC (not pc). Oh and PCs (as in more than one PC) does not use an apostrophe.

Mebek
08-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Q: I want to add text to my object, but the text tool says I don't have any fonts installed, or the font I need to use isn't showing up in the list. I know I have tons of fonts on my system. Why aren't they showing up?

A: Unlike other programs, Lightwave does not automatically read the fonts list from your operating system (this is for memory management). You must first add fonts from your system to Lightwave. Use the Manage Fonts button to add fonts to Lightwave's internal list. These fonts that are added will remain added in future sessions, so you don't have to re-add previously used fonts.

lede
08-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Nice start of a website just a few things I noticed. You have a counter on the page and to be honest not many visitors really care about looking at a counter except for you. A good log reader will do a lot better since then you can get data that tell you what people find interesting on your site. BTW I was hit number 96-100 because I hit refresh a few time to watch the number grow :D

Nice start of the FAQ I'll have to go through it and read up some. Can't wait to see your wire section when its live!

-Lee

Mebek
08-29-2005, 10:07 AM
BTW I was hit number 96-100 because I hit refresh a few time to watch the number grow

Well technically, you were 96-98, and then skipped to 100, because I was 99. I have the red balloons to prove it. :neener:

lede
08-29-2005, 10:20 AM
I knew some one was going to say that Mebek :)

But just read through the FAQ and its a good start. I think it would be also usefull to add the short cut key for some of the answers so people don't have to go digging around for those. Or atleast stay consistent because in a few answers you had the short cut key and in most they we're left out.

BTW it was a good read and I like the small bits of humor you put in there, defiantly the last three we're a laugh.

-Lee

starbase1
08-29-2005, 11:02 AM
Hmmm... Some depressingly FAQ's...

1. When will the next version be out, and why not yet?

2. Why don't Newtek include every plugin ever written with the package for free?

3. I think Newtek should give free copies to students / 3dmax users / me. Why not?

4. I cannot be ar$ed to read the manual, can you tell me everything?

:lol:

hrgiger
08-29-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I just added a tutorial as well. It's fairly simple but it goes in line with one of those things that people seem to ask a lot. Also, I added a FAQ that links to the tutorial, just to give an example of how I would like to see the FAQ page come together.

hrgiger
08-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Hmmm... Some depressingly FAQ's...

1. When will the next version be out, and why not yet?

2. Why don't Newtek include every plugin ever written with the package for free?

3. I think Newtek should give free copies to students / 3dmax users / me. Why not?

4. I cannot be ar$ed to read the manual, can you tell me everything?

:lol:

Check out the newly added questions in the general section Starbase. :thumbsup:

hrgiger
08-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Added some more faqs to the FAQs section as well as some starting categories that you can jump directly to the selected section via anchors.

Also changed the rollover buttons on the index page so that they still show the link names when you put your mouse cursor over them.

Added a tutorial to the tutorial section and posted the first wire in the wireframes gallery.

Keep the faqs suggestions coming and feel free to submit any impressive wireframe pics you have of your models for the gallery.

Celshader
08-29-2005, 03:53 PM
And please add
RTFM. :twak:
to the website ( not just an honorable mention ) - it's stupid to try and learn Lightwave without doing so.

Agreed, but add this: "Ignore the celshader docs in all the LightWave manuals that existed before the wonderful 8.3 addendum (http://www.celshader.com/journal/archives/00000048.htm), since the unbelievably-bad documentation (http://www.timaxmedia.com/html/help/Object_Properties__Edges_Tab.htm) on Edges would actually hamstring LightWave users."

Surrealist.
08-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Agreed, but add this: "Ignore the celshader docs in all the LightWave manuals that existed before the wonderful 8.3 addendum (http://www.celshader.com/journal/archives/00000048.htm), since the unbelievably-bad documentation (http://www.timaxmedia.com/html/help/Object_Properties__Edges_Tab.htm) on Edges would actually hamstring LightWave users."

I would also add, try and be objective enough to know what parts of the manual are hamstringing you and which parts are written correctly but you don't have a clue. And that part of the key to successful lightwaving is being able to tell the difference. :D

Verlon
08-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Q. Viper is enabled, and I click on Viper, but nothing happens.
A. Buy FPrime (unless running Windows x64, then open the Surface editor)

Q. Why doesn't Lightwave support [blank] like the leading brand of 3D renderer?
A. Because it supports other things instead. No 3D package supports EVERYTHING out of the box.

Q. When I complain incessantly about Lightwave on the Newtek forums, why do people call me CIM?
A. ROFL

Q. Are there Lightwave groupies? Will becoming the best Lightwaver ever get me sexual favors from my preferred gender (or even species for some of you cretins)?
A. We certainly hope so. If you are good enough, you stand a chance to make some decent money, and that usually helps in such matters.

Q. How much should I charge for this project I am working on?
A. As much as you can get and, in good conscience, accept. In all the times this question has been asked, I have never seen a specific answer given. Calculate the number of hours you worked on it times whatever your time is worth by the hour. Add a premium if they are jerks, or give a discount if you did it easier than you thought. Better to estimate a high and give a pleasant surprise than to estimate low and give sticker shock.

Q. Is the moon really made of green cheese?
A. No, its a hypervoxel, that's why it takes 28 days to render a new one.

WizCraker
08-30-2005, 02:27 AM
Doh! Sorry about that Wiz. I run at 1600 X 1200 and I forgot how huge that was in your rez. I fixed that so check it again, you should not have to scroll now to find the nav buttons. I also changed the color of the text so you can see if it's a bit easier to read.

Much nicer.

Wonderpup
08-30-2005, 03:00 AM
This one comes up a lot;

Q: Where is the Background Conform tool?

A: You need to install the Spherize.p plugin in the legacy plugins (modeler) folder.

Verlon
09-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Woohoo!!!!

I got a FAQ onto the website......

I feel like a real guru now. :D

Now as long as I do not have to model anything difficult and burst my own bubble.....