PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion

omari
08-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Hello All, I recenly was asked to do an animation, 3 words that swoop down into frame with a duration of 3-4 seconds, for a commercial for an in town law firm. The producer ask what do I charge?

This would be my first freelance project in Lightwave. I believe I could complete this project, including rendering from 2 - 3 hours.

What would be correct to charge for this project?

I'm in the Cincinnati Ohio Market.

Thanks,

JC

Ps. I have been using Lightwave for over a year and have been doing projects for the PBS Station that I work for.

omari
08-27-2005, 10:21 AM
In other words, what woud be a freelance pay scale for a 3D artist in a small market town?

Thanks,

JC

cresshead
08-27-2005, 10:23 AM
i'd charge them 2 days pay....the pay being what you'd call 'a day's pay 'where you are...even if it takes 2-3 hours...they may want amendments
and you need to deliver it on the format they need...and that 'day' is for them...

sounds fair

and good luck! :)

Riplakish
08-27-2005, 04:38 PM
i'd charge them 2 days pay....the pay being what you'd call 'a day's pay 'where you are...even if it takes 2-3 hours...they may want amendments
and you need to deliver it on the format they need...and that 'day' is for them...

sounds fair

and good luck! :)

I agree. Its also a good "Scotty Factor" (take your best guess, multiply by two, and convert to the next highest unit) that saves you when you realize you completely screwed something up, or (as people often do), forget about some time consuming detail (like color correcting for TV production). The secret is to not so over do it that it costs you work.

And remember, you can always bill less, but you can rarely bill more, without headaches. "I was able to skip X", or "I got a tool that made Y easier" is something the customer will forget before the sentence is out of your mouth. "I need to double the fee" will hang in the air like an exploding skunk.

In my own consulting work, understanding customer needs and finding solutions are typically free. Implementation costs an arm and a leg. :)

omari
08-27-2005, 04:56 PM
thanks for the info!!!

JC

Bytehawk
08-27-2005, 06:02 PM
lol "an exploding skunk"
nice image

WizCraker
08-28-2005, 01:50 AM
lol "an exploding skunk"
nice image

But can you recreate that in :lwicon:? Could take the place of the exploding Cow.

cresshead
08-28-2005, 05:51 AM
le skunk!

was from a tv show promotion i did in summer of 2002!

steve g

Riplakish
08-28-2005, 07:18 AM
But can you recreate that in :lwicon:? Could take the place of the exploding Cow.

This is a fine example of when something simple goes horribly wrong :bangwall: .

I tried so hard to find something that would convey my meaning, but not potentially
insult anybody (e.g. "a fart in church").

Ah, well, I'm glad that I'm not the only person who can visualize what I'm thinking.

Can we get the model for the skunk, so I can run it through C4? ;D

WizCraker
08-28-2005, 05:13 PM
This is a fine example of when something simple goes horribly wrong :bangwall: .

I tried so hard to find something that would convey my meaning, but not potentially
insult anybody (e.g. "a fart in church").

Ah, well, I'm glad that I'm not the only person who can visualize what I'm thinking.

Can we get the model for the skunk, so I can run it through C4? ;D

Yes I know, but visually that would be interesting to see.