PDA

View Full Version : symetry tool disappeared

nelson3d
08-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Hello,

Iīm new in LW and Iīm in trouble with the simetry tool. It just disappeared... It was there some time ago and I think I made a forbidden operation or something like that. I have LW 8.0, bought in May 2005 and still donīt make the patches to 8.3. Thatīs another question: what files should I download? Is there one to make the upgrade directly to 8.3 or should I upgrade in steps, 8.1, then 8.2 and finaly 8.3

Gil, from NewTek - Technical Support answered:

In regards to symmetry you will need to delete the LWM8.cfg file on your system in order to restore the basic interface.

I deleted the LWM8.cfg file in my system and still donīt have the simetry tool!

So, thatīs the problem: I still donīt have the symetry tool. (and I need it, or I wil have to work twice in modeler...)
Can you give me some help?
Thank you
Nelson

Surrealist.
08-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Go to Edit/Edit Menu layout.

On the right of the panel find Bottom Edge at the top. Click on arrow to expand.

Then Click on Symmetry arrow to expand - there may be no arrow and thus now symmetry underneeth. Ths might be the case if it is not there or not working.

If it is there this is not the problem

if it is not there then do this.

Click on Symmetry to highlight.

Find and click on to highlight SymmetryOn/Off on the left side of the pannel under Modify (click arrow to expand list).

Then on the far right side of panel click add.

This will add it back to the layout.

If this does not work, try to delete the symmetry plugin (on left and right) and then scan the lightwave directory for plugins in the add plugins panel, then repeat the steps above.

nelson3d
08-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Thank you, Surrealist, for your help, but I still donīt have the symmetry tool back...
I think I made a mistake in the previous thread. Iīve lost the "symmetry mode", that button on the bottom of the modeler interface. Maybe there is another symmetry tool, a plug in or something...
I think I should re-install LW to get that button back (and, maybe, loose it again later...).
I came from a midi range software and Iīm completely marvelled with LW. What a power! I think I can do great thing with it, but I need that "symetry mode"..
If anyone has an idea to help me, I would appreciate.
Thanks.
Nelson

MonroePoteet
08-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Yes, symmetry mode is invaluable. I use it all the time.

Regarding the button's disappearance, Surrealist's diagnosis and solution seems correct to me. Symmetry On/Off is built-in Modeler functionality and requires no plug-in.

Both Modeler and Layout allow you to fully configure the buttons on the user interface any way you want. This is done through the Edit Menu Layout selection in the Edit menu. The location in the interface where the "Symmetry" button normally appears is the "Symmetry" menu group in the "Bottom Edge" menu.

My recommendation is that you choose Edit=>Edit Menu Layout and try to correlate what you see in the right pane (labeled "Menus") of this window to what you see as buttons along the "Bottom Edge" of Modeler's interface. I think you'll find that "Selection" allows you to select "Points" and "Polys" (be sure to expand using the little white arrow), and that there is a problem with the "Symmetry" menu group.

The left pane (labeled "Commands") shows you every possible function you can invoke in Modeler. Some are assigned to buttons, and some are not. These commands are assigned and placed in the "Menus" system in the right panel. The command you want is called "Symmetry On/Off" under the "Modify" top-level category in the left pane.

If it doesn't appear in the "Symmetry" menu group under the "Bottom Edge" menu, then you need to use "Add" to put it back in. If the "Symmetry" menu group doesn't appear at all, you need to use the "New Group" button to add the group back in, and then add the "Symmetry On/Off" command to that group. It will show up as a button on the Modeler interface.

As I said, Surrealist's analysis and solution seems accurate to me. Please explore the Edit=>Edit Menu Layout interface, and try to correlate what you see in the menu editor with what you see in the Modeler interface as buttons.

mTp

Surrealist.
08-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah looks like my descrioption was far too sparse in reading it now. Must have been late.

mTp has it all alid out and that should work. I did not realize that symetry was not a plugin, so it should be there. But if for some reason it is not, you may have to reinstall rather than scan plugins I guess.

MonroePoteet
08-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Hey Surrealist: no, your description was spot-on, but assumed some knowledge about the versatility of LW. It's hard to realize just how incredibly versatile it is. Hard to believe you can re-configure the user interface so easily! Man, LW is great!

mTp

nelson3d
08-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Once again, thank you Surrealist and the others. The problem is that Iīm not explaining well the problem, thanks to my bad english. I read fine but write bad, excuse me.
The symmetry button is already there, in the bottom of the modeler interface. If it was not there, the Surrealists explanations would help me put it there. The problem is that, even being there, itīs not functioning. When I select a polygon in the positive X side of, say, a cube, even with the symmetry button higlighted, the polygon on the other side keeps unselected. It was not happening before, when I had the other polygon automaticly select, by symmetry, when I selected the one in the positive X side...
Thatīs really a problem for me.
The Surrealistīs message is usefull for customizing the LW interface and it is very good.
The problem is: symmetry button is there, but not functioning.
Thank you all.
Nelson

Surrealist.
08-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Thanks mTp :) You're right, it's easy to forget how great LW is and or assume knowelegde.

nelson3d:

OK So I guess what I was trying to say was if it is there and not working then I would say you might have to reinstall LW. This will load symmetry up fresh again.

If you have made any custom configurations to the interface you might want to load up that same panel we've been talking about and click the save button to save your configuration before you re-install otherwise ...might be bye bye.

OK now. This is all then assuming you are using symmetry properly. 'cuase if it is highlighted that changes things a little bit. It is very very pesky about things being exactly symmetrical.

Without going into pugins that will correct symmetry, you can be sure and make your model with a center line edge so you can cut it in half and mirror it again.

There is also a plugin to automatically delete one side and mirror one to the other by Terry Ford.

This is one way to restore complete symmetry.

Someone might have a link to those symmetry plugins but here is the Terry Ford Plugin. Very useful even if you have been ussing it right and we still have to get it figured out. :)

nelson3d
08-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks again, Surrealist. Iīve learned many good things from your posts and I will keep and use them.
As I said before, I came from others midi rangre softwares where the symetry tool work differently from LW.
Reading again the Getting Started Guide that came with the program, I finnaly found: "Symmetry is a great tool, but to use it, you must be immaculate in your modelling skills........ start out with your base form perfectly centered along the X axis ...."
So, thatīs where I was making a big mistake: the object MUST be centered along the X axis.
Thank you for your good will, it values much. Now Iīm ready to model in the powerfull LW way.
By the way, shouldīnt we have a "new user forum" ?

MonroePoteet
08-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi Nelson3d,

I think *everyone* is a "new user" to LW in one way or another. Your questions were perfectly valid for this forum. Sorry to have misunderstood the basic problem!

mTp

Surrealist.
08-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Hi Nelson3d,

I think *everyone* is a "new user" to LW in one way or another. Your questions were perfectly valid for this forum. Sorry to have misunderstood the basic problem!

mTp

I second that, third that and fourth that for the next three things I will learn here. :)