PDA

View Full Version : EPSF Loader broken in 8.3? Help please

Thrill Media
08-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Hey Folks,
I have been using LW's EPSF loader for years without issue and now it seems to be broken in LW8.3. It will only import an Illustrator or EPS (V.8) file with "Closed Polygons and PolyLines" selected. I need it to import with "Closed Polygons" with "Auto Axis Drill" selected. Otherwise I just get a bunch of polylines which I then have to go in and re-build all of the text or logo into polygons. Anybody else having this problem or know of a fix?
Thanks for taking the time!
Curtis

lardbros
08-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Someone correct me if i'm wrong... but i thought that LW has only ever been able to import V8 eps or illustrator files?? I think Adobe did something with illustrator and previous to Illustrator 8 everything will work fine. It's easy enough to save as a different version isn't it?

Does someone know the full reason as to why the newer versions don't import? Shame, but can any other versions of software do it?

Thrill Media
08-26-2005, 01:36 PM
It IS version 8 of Illustrator...I never upgraded past that point. Like I said, been doing it for years and never had a problem until LW8.3...Thanks anyway.
Curtis

Thrill Media
08-26-2005, 01:39 PM
BTW There are other threads in the archives on this very subject...just not relating to my particular problem...I think Adobe changed the way it handles vector after version 8 of Illustrator...not sure why NewTek hasn't upgraded the loader to match...all I know is it isn't working for me in LW8.3.
Cheers,
Curtis

lardbros
08-26-2005, 02:17 PM
It IS version 8 of Illustrator...I never upgraded past that point. Like I said, been doing it for years and never had a problem until LW8.3...Thanks anyway.
Curtis

Oh... sorry, i didn't realise. It seems to have been crap since 8 really. I tried a few times and never got decent results. Seemed simple enough vector graphics too, nothing complex... still messed things up. I could never get LW to create holes in the polys where there were in the vector images!

Do hope Newtek get this sorted somehow

BeeVee
08-26-2005, 04:35 PM
After Illustrator 8 Adobe changed the format to PDF, which isn't as open, so would take a lot more effort to support. I personally haven't had any trouble with EPS in 8.3, plus it benefits from the fact that you can now make polys with up to 16,383 points (rather than the old limit of 1023 points) making for much smoother lines when you import...

B

Thrill Media
08-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks Ben,
Did you do anything special to get it to work? Was it an upgrade or complete install to 8.3? Maybe I should try re-installing the plugs?
Curtis

BeeVee
08-29-2005, 08:41 AM
That certainly can't hurt... hit Alt F11 and choose Scan Directory and point it at your plug-ins folder inside LightWave.

B

PS. By the way, I never use the automatic drill functions in the EPS importer since you get cleaner results doing it yourself using the Drill or Boolean tools.

theo
08-29-2005, 08:46 AM
PS. By the way, I never use the automatic drill functions in the EPS importer since you get cleaner results doing it yourself using the Drill or Boolean tools.

That's exactly right. I too have had problems with the importer until I started drilling the poly using the LW tools rather than the automatic drill function on the importer menu.

twoodall661
12-28-2005, 04:27 AM
Hey, guys. I am also having problems. For 8, 8.3, and 8.5, i can't get anything to load at all. I would be grateful if i could just get the data in (even crappy) and fix it, but it just comes up blank. I do a lot of broadcast design logo stuff so this is extremely crippling, and embarrasing. I have to have a friend on cinema convert simple vector files to .lwo. Hmm, they have no problem at all.

This is use to work with me-

Illustrator .eps 8.0 or less.

I got mixed results with the various settings, and often i did have turn off the drill setting.

Steve McRae
12-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Hey, guys. I am also having problems. For 8, 8.3, and 8.5, i can't get anything to load at all. I would be grateful if i could just get the data in (even crappy) and fix it, but it just comes up blank. I do a lot of broadcast design logo stuff so this is extremely crippling, and embarrasing. I have to have a friend on cinema convert simple vector files to .lwo. Hmm, they have no problem at all.

This is use to work with me-

Illustrator .eps 8.0 or less.

I got mixed results with the various settings, and often i did have turn off the drill setting.

interesting - what is it that you are trying to import?

have you:

- coverted your text to outlines?
- "expanded" your artwork?

Can you post the ai/eps file for us to test?

cheers,

gerry_g
12-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Hey, guys. I am also having problems. For 8, 8.3, and 8.5, i can't get anything to load at all. I would be grateful if i could just get the data in (even crappy) and fix it, but it just comes up blank. I do a lot of broadcast design logo stuff so this is extremely crippling .-.

Have said this before (sure most people think I'm just kidding), load your eps files into a font utility or cut and paste them, generate a font with them, name it, save it, load it into LW and you're home and dry, done this no end of times, always works..........which is more than can be said for LW EPS.

sllink
01-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Whats a font utility? :help:

twoodall661
01-31-2006, 12:25 PM
Sorry for the late reply and causing a stir, but it is working fine. It must have been OE on my part. I will say that I learned quite a few things from all your replies. Thanks

Traylor