PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Flakes

head worm
05-01-2003, 05:48 AM
At my company, we're trying to do some innovative stuff with Lightwave surfacing. However, we keep coming across niggling bugs that frighten the hell out of us!

Just one of a hundred examples:

In trying to use Envelopes to control some of the Image Editor tools, it's hard to get Layout to update any altered information that may have been achieved through expressions or a channel modifier. We basically have to open the Graph Editor or click somewhere in the graph area to get Layout to 'wake up'. It's true of all settings such as 'Brightness', 'Hue', 'Gamma' etc... This is very confusing to the user, who doesn't know whether they're looking at image maps as they really are.

A simple 'workaround' would be to provide a button on the main interface that updates all channels throughout Layout. A Layout 'zapper'. This may be available third party, but I'm not aware of it.

In trying to create tools for the increasing number of users who simply don't have time to figure out 'cool' workarounds for Lightwave's failings, I think newtek desperately need to address the small bugs that have been present right through V6.0 - 7.5b. If v8 comes out with things like this unaddressed, then how can they say that 'useability enhancements' have been a priority. Things working is the basis of all useability!

Although there's no glamour in bug-fixing and the temptation is always to pour all your resources into show-stopping new features that look good on a flyer, in the end, it's Lightwave flakiness that is going to kill it as a commercial production tool, because 'normal' people won't buy a product that requires two years of work to understand which of its 'features' work and which, in practice, don't.

If you halve the price of Lightwave, you need to sell twice as many in order to make the same money. And there simply aren't twice the number of obsessives and geniuses left in the marketplace to figure out the myriad of bizarre happenings while using Lightwave.

Sorry to rant, but too few people are raising the big issue of little issues around here.

DavidT
www.the-worms-of-art.com

Red_Oddity
05-01-2003, 06:41 AM
I do, but people around here are wise enough to ignore me :D

hrgiger
05-01-2003, 08:39 AM
Oh crap, I heard Lightwave Flakes and I thought it would be a new breakfast cereal...

Lamont
05-01-2003, 04:32 PM
I know what yer talkin' 'bout. The what I do is just tap left or right arrow.

How do we know if it intended to be that way? It's not in the manual "It will re-fresh when altered...". Well not that I know of...

There needs to be a auto/manual re-fresh/re-load for textures and whatever else.

because 'normal' people won't buy a product that requires two years of work to understand which of its 'features' work and which, in practice, don't.Ahh, it's basic problem solving skills, like with any application ^_^!

wiffzack
05-03-2003, 08:31 AM
hehe, in most cases a 'cool' solution is so easy in lw. I think its a feature to not update the view after EVERY change. And if you want to force an update, just change the frame... At some things this would be nice too :) (surface view update etc.)

But i agree, if its fast enough it should update continuosly.

Lightwolf
05-03-2003, 08:39 AM
On simple fix:
Open LCommander, create a new macro:

RefreshNow

save it, assign it to a hotkey.

RefreshNow
RedrawNow

might be better.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
05-03-2003, 11:46 AM
Actually...
I seem to know the Commands better than the menu options :)
The commands are there already:
go into "Configure Keys"
Assign
Display->Refresh Items and Viewports Immediately
to a key.

This is the same as "Refresh Now"

Cheers,
Mike