PDA

View Full Version : particles depth rendering

yoonho
08-26-2005, 04:37 AM
I heard someone told it is impossible that particle's depth Z map file
rendering which applied noise pattern of hypervoxel in lightwave.

I did not allow this. Is it true ? If lightwave could rendering depth Z
map file in particle rendering, please let me know how can do that.

Best,
y

MonroePoteet
08-26-2005, 06:00 PM
I do not really understand the question. I think you are asking if you can modify the texture of Hypervoxels (HVs) based upon how far they are away from the camera (Z-depth).

Lightwave provides a Gradient type of Texture which can be applied to HV shading. Gradient texture layers include the ability to have a Blending Mode of Alpha and use the Distance to Camera (i.e. Z-depth) as an input parameter. A Blending Mode of Alpha "passes through" the previous layer based upon the input parameter, which if specified as "Distance from Camera" would allow you to control the texture as the particle gets farther from the camera.

For example, if you want the HV's farther from the camera to have more noise on them than those closer to the camera, you'd configure a specularity / diffusion / whatever layer that gives you the noise you want, so the HVs are textured the way you want them farthest from the Camera. You would then add a Gradient layer to each of the Textures with a blend-mode of Alpha and Distance to Camera as the input parameter. You fine-tune the input parameter, specifying the Alpha parameter for how much you want the noise texture to affect the HV shading at each distance.

As I said, I don't really understand the question.

mTp

yoonho
08-29-2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks MonroePoteet, Sorry for insuffient old my question.

I heard HV's sprite and volume were not exported exactly in lightwave's RENDER BUFFER EXPORT menu. When lightwave export HV's sprite and volume with RENDER BUFFER EXPORT, exported depth map consisted of particle's sphere which ignore HV's noise pattern.

Is there a way more clearly and easily export depth map with HV's sprite and volume like as RENDER BUFFER EXPORT in normal object ?

Thanks
y

MonroePoteet
08-29-2005, 04:20 PM
The sprite export doesn't have an "exact" Z-depth, but the other modes (Surface and Volume) seem to work for me. I don't think Sprite HV's actually have any real depth calculated, which is why they are fast.

In terms of how exact the Z-depth is, I can't really answer that. Often, Z-depth is exported as an 8-bit greyscale, which only has 256 possible values, so the surface or volume texture may lose something. I think the Deluxe-RLA export with FP type is supposed to export the exact depth in floating point, but I have no way to test this.

I've attached RGB and depth-export images of a one-particle Volume-style HV with the default Crumple texture. As I said, it seems OK to me.

mTp

yoonho
08-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Thank you so much MonroePoteet.
I did not understand about HV's depth method. I understand HV's dpeth method with Gradient layer in HV's texture by your help. Thanks again

Best
y