PDA

View Full Version : GlobalCaster :: ever use or hear about it?

WizCraker
08-26-2005, 01:24 AM
Anybody ever use or heard of a GlobalCaster? It looks like an overpriced VideoToaster [$50,000+ to be exact], I am trying to set one up for where I work [it is the GlobeCaster Studio 8000]. I'm not too impressed by it.

Doesn't look like they have won any Emmy's for Technology & Engineering. From my stand point doesn't look good for a 5 year old company who touts themselves as a leader in All in One Broadcasting sollutions not to have any type of Technical achivement awards from the industry.

UnCommonGrafx
08-26-2005, 05:42 AM
Chuckle

You REALLY don't know about that thing, huh? I mean, that you would ask for help for that around here... Go over to the VT forum and ask this question. Then buy a boat because most will tell that you have a great anchor for just such a boat.

How'd you get stuck with one? hehe

barnabythebear
08-26-2005, 06:04 AM
Hiya,

Electric Image use to have a version of it's Animation System for Globecaster, you could try their forums to see if anyone has experience of that system?

ta

nige.

WizCraker
08-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Not exactly asking for help, was just wondering if anyone heard of it.

Where I work they just got it so they can do distance learning for High Schools around the state.

UnCommonGrafx
08-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Oh yeah, I've heard of'em.
Left a job waiting for one to be delivered, long long ago.
My suggestion of asking in the VT forum was valid as there are many former users of the product.

I used to do distant learning, too, and envy the township/schools sytem you are in in that they would get you a GlobalCa$ter for that. But that was some time back... snicker

I'd love to travel talking about the advantages of a VT in this regard: for the cost of one of the GCs you can get four tricasters and have conversation betwixt the four in a webcast situation. $5000.00 could be used for the techies fun. Money saved; people happy; the cutting edge ridden without the bite in the arse. ;)
I know that's not your position and don't mean to step on toes or hijack the thread. I was a freelancer so didn't get to set it up; thus, no help.

robewil
08-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Not exactly asking for help, was just wondering if anyone heard of it. As Robert said, mention GlobalCaster in the VT Community and you will get a lot of ugly responses from many current VT users who had earlier invested in the GlobalCaster's predecessor, the Play Trinity. I believe most of them will tell you how it was very buggy and did not deliver on the promises Play made.

Play, if you are not aware, was formed in the mid-1990's by former Newtek employees, headed by Paul Montgomery and Mark Randall. The legendary Kiki Stockhammer also abandoned Newtek for what she must have believed to be greener pastures. They tried to imitate Newtek by coming out with a parallel port video digitizer called the "Snappy" which was a pretty successful product and was basically, the "Digiview" of its day. Then they made the Trinity which was an attempt as a PC Video Toaster with Kiki prominently demoing the product at all the major trade shows. Play eventually went belly-up after Paul Montgomery's death. Globalstreams bought them out and renamed the Trinity to GlobalCaster.

I read somewhere that some of the Play people went on to help form the company "Serious Magic". Kiki has been seen, of late, at the Newtek booth of some recent trade shows.