PDA

View Full Version : Hub Communication

Jockomo
02-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Here is what happens:

You load an object in layout and give it textures. You launch modeler. Using the dropdown menu to the left of the layer selection, load the object into modeler. The object appears as textured in layout. Now at this point, unless you commit to any changes you have made in modeler by saving your object, you will now loose all textures on your object. Likewise if modeler crashes, you will loose all of your textures.

However the reverse is not true. If you close layout at this point the object remains textured in modeler.

You should not be forced to save over your object just to switch back and forth between layout and modeler.

I would also like to see lightwave know the difference between an object and a layer. Currently you can run into problems if you move things from one layer to another in modeler, while the object is part of a scene in layout.

mix
02-07-2003, 06:31 PM
So are you saying you wan't textures aplied to a an object, saved in the scene file as well as in a object file, I agree.

The second issue is an issue I would like cleared up as well.:D

Memz
02-07-2003, 09:00 PM
In Layout.. do this:

1) Select the object or objects. Or you can use option 2.

File> Save> Save current object. (Do this when your done texturing. This will save your object with texturing applied.)

or Option 2 (Use if multi-layered)

2) File> Save> Save all objects.

Hope this helps.

Joril
02-07-2003, 09:40 PM
I red through this thread with a blurr infront of my eyes.
This is because I stopped bothering with the HUB and disabled it.
Whenever I work on a model or scene, I load the object into modeler, and then into layout for whatever reason I need it in there.
Then I update my models in modeler, and "replace" them in layout to update the model.
When I'm texturing my models in layout, I usually don't have any need for modeler so I just pull a "save current object" to save the texturing.
If the dire need should arrive I just load the model into modeler, save it, and replace it again in layout.
Sounds like a hassle, but I don't even notice the work around anymore, at least it's safe.

Memz
02-07-2003, 09:41 PM
I also disable the hub. :)

wgreenlee1
02-07-2003, 11:31 PM
I dont disable Hub but I do save from both Modeler and Layout.
That way I wind up with several versions of the same model.

Jockomo
02-08-2003, 12:06 AM
I know about the work around, saving before entering modeler etc. But, my opinion is, you should be able to load an object or a scene, and mess around with it, without having to save over it.

For example: what if I want to load a scene to pick it apart and play with it to learn, in both lightwave and modeler. I don't really want to save over the original and screw it up.

Since undo is not an option in all circumstances, I usually don't save my changes until I am sure I am satisfied with them.

So my thought is, when you hit the tab in modeler to call up an object, it should save that object as it exists currently in layout - to the hubs temp directory, and load that version up in modeler. Then you do whatever to it in modeler. Now, if you do "synchronize layout", or "send object to layout", it should replace the version it loaded from the hubs temp directory with what you have in modeler and load that into layout.
If you close modeler and do not select the option to save the object or send it to layout, it should simply close modeler without saving over the hubs temp version, which will now still exist exactly as it did before in layout. Which can also be different from the object that you originally loaded into the scene in the first place. Now if modeler crashes for some reason ( not that this is often a problem for me) then you have not lost what you did in layout (ie. textures)

Now the only thing is, the fact that when you select layout, it automatically synchronizes what you have in modeler. This is not bad in all situations, so I would suggest making a switch to turn this on or off as an option. "Auto Synchronize Layout" since I may not be ready to synch layout with what is in modeler, maybe I just want to check something in my animation.

It's late, I hope my rambling made some sense :rolleyes:

Memz
02-08-2003, 12:32 AM
This would be a good feature. But it justs makes us that more lazy. lol Being too lazy can be a bad thing. :D :D

Bytehawk
02-08-2003, 05:19 AM
I would love to see a all-in-one file format
saves all textures, objects and scene info in one handy file
or better still - let us select what we want to save in the new scene fileformat. Don't discard the old ones though - they're very handy as they are.

Skonk
02-08-2003, 04:46 PM
This is a bit OT but id like to see the "Save Scene" fuction also save all objects at the same time, then have a "Save scene only" and the "Save all objects" functions too, tho iv never forgot to save my objects and scenes after making changes to the surfaces on any thing importent i could imagine its very easy for someone to close a scene and forget to save the objects to keep the surface changes.
It seems to me that u would want to save your objects more often then u would not want to save them.

James..

Freak
02-10-2003, 12:06 AM
This is exactly the way it is designed to work, and it should not change! I really don't understand your problem...

I use the hub, (when i need it) and i have very few (if any) problems.

Doing it as you say would overwrite files, i don't want overwritten.

If you close Photoshop, you must save your changes....
Just as in Modeler or Layout.

As for it not being safe, What are you talking about.....
Just because some people don't know how to use it,
does not make it unsafe.

Not to mention how many times the Hub has saved my ***, with autobackup.

Jockomo
02-10-2003, 01:19 AM
If the hub is working as intended, then why does it work differently with modeler than with Layout?

For example: if you close modeler without saving, you loose your surface settings in layout however if you close layout, you do not loose the surfaces, they still exist in modeler.

I think you really don't understand the problem, so give it a try:

1. load an object in layout
2. give it a texture in layout
3. send it to modeler and leave layout running

4. close modeler without saving (same would happen if modeler crashed at this point)

The textures on your object in layout are now gone.

Now let's try it the other way...

1. load an object in layout
2. give it a texture in layout
3. send it to modeler

4. close layout without saving

The texture still exists in modeler, as it did in layout before you closed it. ( if layout had crashed, you could now save your object from modeler, and would have kept the changes you had made to the texture)

I think it needs to work one way, or the other, and personally I like the second way.

Prosprctor
02-10-2003, 09:05 AM
HMMMM
Mine works like your second example...
If I design model
save
send to layout
texture
modeler updates
work on some morphs with both
close layout
modeler still ok with textures
or
close modeler and set scene
layout still ok with textures
save scene and transformed objects

either way the textures and all settings in texturer stay ok

mlinde
02-14-2003, 12:08 PM
:eek:
I don't need to disable the hub. Since I have a Mac, the damn thing doesn't work. Well, that's not exactly true. 95% of the time I can move objects between Modeler and Layout. But any other function of the Hub is non-functional on a Mac.

Hub? More like foggy-ware (one step up from vapor-ware, since there is a compiled application called Hub)...