PDA

View Full Version : newbie - surface problems

Seademon
05-01-2003, 04:42 AM
ive had lightwave for a while now and have made a few simple models. For my first majour model ive decided to make a car that i sketched at school, i created the basic shape of the car from a box and then hit tab to smooth it out abit, then froze it. To make the wheel arches i used the drill tool and deleted the polys inside and all extra points.. When i hit tab again to smooth out other details ive added, i get strange effects around where ive cut the wheel arches. How do i fix this problem and how can i avoid it in the future. The picture is the problem i have.

nils
05-01-2003, 05:18 AM
Hey Seademon,

I'm not a very experienced modeler, but i guess it is the following problem: When you drill the arches, you'll get polygons with more than four vertices along the drilled edge. Unfortunately, subpatching only works with three- or four-point-polygons.

here's a quick-and-dirty fix for playing around: open the statistics window ('w' or Modeler --> Windows --> Statistics open/close...). Make sure you are in polygon selection mode. In the Polygon Statistics window you will find the line saying '>4 Vertices'. You can select things by clicking on the '+' and deselect by clicking on '-'.

Make sure that nothing is selected, select all '>4 Vertices'. Convert them to triangles by tripling them ('shift T'), then hit 'Tab'. You may have to merge points ('m').

Note that the result may not be the most efficient mesh...

BTW, I like to keep the Statistics, the Layers and the Numeric window open because I need them all the time!

nils

hrgiger
05-01-2003, 11:16 AM
SeaDemon,

If you plan on using subpatch mode for your model, don't use the drill tools or any other boolean operations on it. Booleans will cut the polys anywhere they intersect and this will cause a lot of polys that are more then 4 points per poly and you can't use subpatch on those. Most peple will tell you the best way to model something like a car is to use spines as guides and then build patches from the spline cages. This will always make 4 point polys and you can make quite an efficient mesh with splines. I would try to avoid tripling your polygons if you plan on turning on subpatch. Triangles are ok in certain situations, but in yours, you're going to get lots of creases. Resist the triple funciton to fix a bad mesh! I either use extender to make most of my models or I'll use splines to build the underlying mesh.

Seademon
05-02-2003, 02:39 AM
thanx for the sugestions

nils
05-04-2003, 06:43 AM
Seademon,

you might want to suss out the following link, it's a huge tutorial on modeling a car using splinepatches!

http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4936

nils