PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2 SMD exporter

rc51racing
08-25-2005, 05:17 PM
I wish NEWTEK would include a native Half-life 2 exporter to SMD format in Lightwave 8.5 or 9. I am sick of dealing with user created ones that dont work. Its like Valve software is forcing me to buy XSI and I dont like it.

mkiii
08-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Theyre not forcing you to *buy* it because you can dl the XSI Mod tool for free.

Karmacop
08-26-2005, 02:59 AM
Why would Newtek waste time developing an exporter that only a few dozen people may use? I'd really love Lightwave to come with mor importers and exporters too, but it's not always Newtek's place to do so. It's more for the game developers to give us tools, but since Valve has a contract with XSI there's no way that is going to happen. So really it's up to the users to make the tools :(

rc51racing
08-26-2005, 07:47 PM
The reason is simple: the Gaming community is not "a few dozen people". It is in fact quite large. Eclipsing even hollywood. I think they would greatly benefit. and MKIII yes the mod tool is free but i still have to buy XSI foundation... this just frustrates me.

Tima
08-26-2005, 08:32 PM
xsi mod tool have limitation polycount exporting... just 4000 polygons :/
alyx model have 8000 poly, vehicles have 15 000 poly...

we can just help Tu nah to make a good export for lightwave

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=39799

Valve works only with Mirai, Maya, zbrush and XSI but they dont have any lw licence to make a exporter.

Karmacop
08-26-2005, 10:20 PM
The reason is simple: the Gaming community is not "a few dozen people". It is in fact quite large.

I know this, what I'm saying is that people using Lightwave and wanting to export to HL2 probably amount to a few dozen people. I'm sure there's more people that would want the ability to export to maya or some other 3d software.

It's more up to Valve to make an importer, just the way iD did for doom 3 (although it's only for models), but I don't think they will because they have a massive contract with XSI. I'd love newtek to send game companies a copy of Lightwave and the SDK and convince them to write importers/exporters for Lightwave but I don't think it'll happen (more because of the game companies).

Yog
08-27-2005, 05:32 AM
The reason is simple: the Gaming community is not "a few dozen people". It is in fact quite large. Eclipsing even hollywood. I think you'll find mkIII knows a little bit about the games industry :D

mkiii
09-14-2005, 07:33 PM
xsi mod tool have limitation polycount exporting... just 4000 polygons :/
alyx model have 8000 poly, vehicles have 15 000 poly...

we can just help Tu nah to make a good export for lightwave

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=39799

Valve works only with Mirai, Maya, zbrush and XSI but they dont have any lw licence to make a exporter.

I think you'll find that the MOD tool has a poly limit of around 8000 polys only when you export the file as .XSI. I have just saved out a character (and loaded it back into XSI MOD Tool). The total scene size which includes rig, bones, and a sphere just for effect, comes in at 25296 tris.

So how is that going to be a problem creating a half life2 character?

rc51racing
Yep. Games industry is large. I have been a part of it for about 8 1/2 years as pennance for a misspent youth.

I don't see how you have reached the conclusion that you need to buy a copy of XSI to use the MOD tool though. The XSI MOD tool is a complete standalone app, not an XSI plugin, & has almost identical capabilities as XSI Foundation, but with poly count, texture creation, and rendering restrictions.

Yog: hi there. long time no see. keeping that pint warm for me :thumbsup:

somnambulance
09-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Why would Newtek waste time developing an exporter that only a few dozen people may use?

Because they could work with the people who are running amazing graphics in real time, maybe even develop a good relationship and share ideas.

jasonwestmas
09-29-2005, 03:22 PM
I think you'll find that the MOD tool has a poly limit of around 8000 polys only when you export the file as .XSI. I have just saved out a character (and loaded it back into XSI MOD Tool). The total scene size which includes rig, bones, and a sphere just for effect, comes in at 25296 tris.

So how is that going to be a problem creating a half life2 character?

rc51racing
Yep. Games industry is large. I have been a part of it for about 8 1/2 years as pennance for a misspent youth.

I don't see how you have reached the conclusion that you need to buy a copy of XSI to use the MOD tool though. The XSI MOD tool is a complete standalone app, not an XSI plugin, & has almost identical capabilities as XSI Foundation, but with poly count, texture creation, and rendering restrictions.

Yog: hi there. long time no see. keeping that pint warm for me :thumbsup:

So my big question is how does one convert a .lws to .xsi in order to be imported into the mod tool? Don't I need XSI installed on my machine in order to be able to export to .xsi with Deep Exploration?