PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions about making a Demo-reel: Best Resolution / Framespeed / Video-codec?

White Knight
08-25-2005, 05:42 AM
I'm about to set up my 3D-scenes for rendering a demo-reel.
It's only meant to be in digital format, not on VHS or something.

Now I don't know much at all about this stuff (I normally mostly do stills).

1:What resolution should I render in?
2:What framespeed?
3:What video-codec should I use?

Anything else I need to know?

Kind regards,

White Knight
www.Miracles-Inc.com

tonypete
08-25-2005, 07:30 AM
I assume you have some way of editing your clips together (Premire or something of the like) so my suggestion is as follows:

1) Render your origional clips at D1 NTSC resolution, and uncompressed (.avi or .mov). This will give you the highest quality to edit with. If you render compressed, then you will have to compress again once the entire reel is done and you will end up with a crappy looking video. So start out with the most pristine video possible...

2) Same as above, you want to render your origional at 30 fps. You can cut it down in editing.

3) Once you have the really nice looking clips, bring them into your editing applicaiton and assemble them. From there you can make the decision as to how much you want to compress the video. Cinepac is a good codec for .avi and Sorenson is awesome for .mov clips. You may also want to try doing a .wmv or Windows Media file if you intend to post it on your web site, you can get very small files that look pretty good. If you are going to DVD or VCD for you demo, you'll want to export MPEG formats respecitvely (MPEG 2 for DVD and MPEG 1 for vcd) Some DVD authoring programs require that you have the file in a DV format to create the disk, which most video editors will do as well. Ultimately you will want to experiment and see what kinds of quality and file size you want to output.

Quality is a big issue with Demo Reels, and you want your's to look as good as possible. If I pop in a reel that looks like crap, I toss it within ten seconds. If an artist doesn't care enough to send me the best work they can, it tells me that they don't value what they do. You want to put your best foot forward. Ultimately you want your reel to get you an interview, then you can impress the employer with your wit and charm, and all your artistic quirks, though I can tell you from experience, showing up in black make-up and vinyl outfits is not all that impressive...

Lastly, you will want to include a shot breakdown with your reel outlining specifically what you did on each shot (in order of the reel). I have seen so many reels that duplicate models or animations (especially from schools, DAVE school comes to mind) and it is very unclear as to who did what work. If all you did was texture the model, then tell me that so I know what I am looking at.

Make it short (less than 3 minutes) make it impressive, only show your very best work! And tailor it for the job if you can, if the opening is for a modeler, then show me some really great models.

Hope this helps some

Mr. T

tonypete
08-25-2005, 07:33 AM
Ooops, I noticed you are in Sweden, so I guess that you'll want you demo in PAL formats, not NTSC (unless of course you are sending your clips to the States)

Good luck.

White Knight
08-31-2005, 07:46 AM
Excellent and thorough advice!
Now I can finally begin rendering for reel ;)

I really apriciate it!

:santa:

/White Knight.