PDA

View Full Version : How to remove background antialiasing from rendered sprites?

bunkai
08-25-2005, 04:09 AM
Hello all,

Often a 3D application is used to render game sprites for 16 - graphics, like for console games or Pocket PC games. The second is my case. I want to have my objects nice an antialiased, but still I want to have sharp edges.

My question is, if there is a way how to keep a rendered object Antialiased inside but still not to have any backgound antialiasing? Both, Maya and 3DSMax have a button that simply turns off Background Antialiasing.

Imagine that I take rendered and Antialiased sprite and use it in my game. When the sprite hits game backgound of different collor then it was rendered on, then it always has undesirabled contours.

It is possible to trim the contours partially in photoshop, but they will never be removed completely, or too much of the sprite itself will be lost.

Is there any chance, that a "No BB Antialiasing Button" would be added into rendering settings please?

Thank you,
Regards,
Rene.

simonbrewer
08-25-2005, 06:15 AM
You can use the "SpriteEdger" plugin in the Image Filter panel which should do what you want. Its not perfect through.

However its not quite the same as "No Background Anti-aliasing" function, which is something that I really need too and have asked for several times before on this forum.

bunkai
08-25-2005, 06:42 AM
Hello Simon,

Thank you for quick response. I know about Sprite Edger, however, it is not as you said No BG Aantialiasing. I am thinking about writing directly to Newtek, if they will listen to me. When you asked, did you get any information that such setting/button (no bg AA) should be present in close future?

bye, Rene.

mkiii
09-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Do you realise that you can do this right now using the reconstruction filter setting? Just set the filter to something other than None, but leave AA set to None. Render, and note that the Alpha channel has no AA.

How big are these sprites, BTW, cos I haven't seen much need for AA in small ones?

I generally haven't had need of them, but even when I render out a textured object with no AA, then the interior of the shape looks fine, even when rendered out at 640x480.

Remember that the texture AA setting is set in the surfaces panel, so it still works when camera AA is off.

Either way, the reconstruction filter does the job. I tried it, and the resulting file had no fringe.