PDA

View Full Version : Bones, skelegons, Children, Parents?

FlashKid
08-25-2005, 01:36 AM
Bones, skelegons, Children, Parents, weight maps, yiggidy yagidy!
Now I'm confused. Lets take a couple of steps back shall we... now I've got a leg ok? nice lil modeled leg, now I put in a Parent bone, good good, now a put in the child bone, nice one. Now I position the bones where the legs rest position should be but as soon as I rec the bone position the leg changes it's place compleltly. If I use seperate bones it's ok but I need to use children for more complex thingys. help me!

Surrealist.
08-25-2005, 03:19 AM
have you done any rigging tutorials? That might help. If you can afford it, get Timothy Albee's Character Animation. There's great info on rigging.

Ok now that I have spent this time giving you useless info for your present situation, I think you missed a step in there. But to get a good starting place try this:

In modeler, just create the skellegons in place as you want them. When you chose create skellegons and keep drawing them they will automatically create the child bones.

I know you can do it all in Layout but if you are trying to just get there for now this will be faster and more reliable - basically. There are some drawbacks to this method but for now just give it a go.

Make sure you paste the bones into the object layer if you created them in a separate layer and then send the object to layout.

In layout chose setup/ add/ cnvt. Skellegons. When you run this command the bones will be in place and active and ready to animate.

But you have not created a rig or anything yet but if you are trying to check it out that is a one two punch that will work.

It would be a good idea to get a hold of some rigging tutorials as I said there is so much more to it. It is in fact an art and many - not me - have mastered it.

I would have never figured out all of the nuances to rigging alone.

FlashKid
08-25-2005, 10:28 PM
I'll try what you said the second I get onto a computer that has lightwave 7.5.

Alright then, I'll get on to some rigging tuts right now. Once again THANKS~!!

Surrealist.
08-25-2005, 10:41 PM
I'll try what you said the second I get onto a computer that has lightwave 7.5.

Alright then, I'll get on to some rigging tuts right now. Once again THANKS~!!

Oh, what version are you using?

FlashKid
08-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I use Lightwave 3D 7.5. What, is that a problem?