PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster to produce Dalai Lama event

daurtanyn
08-25-2005, 12:24 AM
I am a manager in IT at Rice University. We are hosting an important visitor on September 22nd and I would like some advise.

We had been planning to use three cameras of the same type (HVRZ1U) for the shoot, but now it looks like we will need to rent a big camera with a sports lens.

The event sponsors don't want us down on the floor of the event close enough to get a good shot with our little integrated cameras. So, we need to get a camera and lens that will allow us to shoot the center shot from the back of the hall.

My question concerns color matching. With two 1/3 inch camcorders and a 2/3 inch JVC Ky-29 with a sports lens I'm tense about matching the images and color balance.

I know the tricaster has proc amp controls, but how or what should I use as a target to match the feeds? What elements should I concentrate on to produce the best recording? Is the new codec good enough to later burn a tape for broadcast contribution video or should I rent a separate Beta SX recorder and post in VT4 (we love it.)

Thanks for your thoughts,
Hubert

John Perkins
08-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Sony's tend to be more red and JVC's tends to be more green. You can adjust for that with the proc amp. I'd suggest that if the Sony's look good, adjust the JVC to match the other two.

Depending on the colors around you, you may need to match the floor or walls, which is a large obvious part of the shot. Aren't you planning on using the JVC higher in the stands or anything? Sports seem to turn out much better when you have a high wide shot.

Since (I suppose) the 1/3 chips will be tighter more still shots and the 2/3 chips will be wider moving shots, I doubt the sharpness will be a big issue. It may work out fine. Framing tighter on the Sony's is definately a good idea.

I haven't used the new codec much, so it's hard to say. I've heard that in dark areas you may see some banding. For a bright shot it might be very good. I always back my computer with a deck just in case and also use tapes in the cameras.

I'm assuming a lot based on how I would shoot it, so take this with a grain of salt. Others may have very different ideas.

Good luck.

P.S. - I just noticed that you are in Houston. Give me a call. 713-271-4036 and ask for John.

PIZAZZ
08-26-2005, 09:58 AM
I am a manager in IT at Rice University. We are hosting an important visitor on September 22nd and I would like some advise.

We had been planning to use three cameras of the same type (HVRZ1U) for the shoot, but now it looks like we will need to rent a big camera with a sports lens.

The event sponsors don't want us down on the floor of the event close enough to get a good shot with our little integrated cameras. So, we need to get a camera and lens that will allow us to shoot the center shot from the back of the hall.

My question concerns color matching. With two 1/3 inch camcorders and a 2/3 inch JVC Ky-29 with a sports lens I'm tense about matching the images and color balance.

I know the tricaster has proc amp controls, but how or what should I use as a target to match the feeds? What elements should I concentrate on to produce the best recording? Is the new codec good enough to later burn a tape for broadcast contribution video or should I rent a separate Beta SX recorder and post in VT4 (we love it.)

Thanks for your thoughts,
Hubert

Sounds like a nice project Hubert.
Have you thought about using the lens extender for the Sony Cameras?
or what about using a remote control Pan/Tilt system for the center Sony Z1U and put it on a pole either hanging down from the ceiling or a stand from the middle of the floor. We have done this in the past and it works very well. Instead of a person on a riser in the middle of the floor, all you have is the 1.5" diameter pole.

Contact me if you need more info.
We are over in Beaumont so let me know if you need any help also.

daurtanyn
08-27-2005, 12:07 AM
The pole idea is very good, I had not been thinking along those lines. We have a BRC-300 on order for a classroom. I might rig it up with one of the Sony controllers for the center shot.

Thanks!
Hubert

John Perkins
08-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Wow, where the heck did I get off on sports...

I guess the University combined with too little coffee did it... :screwy:

JumboCast
08-27-2005, 07:25 AM
Wow, where the heck did I get off on sports...You must have been watching Caddyshack recently. "Big hitter, the Lama..." :)